Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
rambn, with the same setup including Equalizer, we don't "get moved around a bit more"; we don't get moved around at all. This may say the Equalizer isn't set up correctly. I don't claim to understand the set up procedure since I didn't do it, but since you and I have the same truck (probably in any significant way though there are many versions of the Tundra), trailer and WD hitch, something isn't right.

Do you have the TRD package? We do. Do you add any air to the Tundra tires? I add 4 lbs. all around. I tried various other increases, but this seems to work best.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
For us it came down to a price/value thing. The extra $4,000 for 2 extra feet, ( $2000 per foot or $166.66666 etc. per inch) really didn't not seem worth it. We are very happy with the 25'.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We upsized from a 22' to the 27FBSE. I wanted the 28' because I felt it was more livable. The ultimate decision was made by wife because she felt we needed the additional storage in the 27' over the 28'. Since we're not full-timing it and we haven't won the Mega-Millions lottery, it's not worth losing the marriage over.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Randg,
I moved from a 19' and 1/2 ton TV to our present layout and feel great about the 25FBCCD.

Likes include the size of the 25, largest of the small trailers, smallest of the big ones.
Manuverability and options at campgrounds was a major factor. We have twin beds in our rig, comfortable for sleeping and great accessable storage from inside and out.
Out flat screen is on a quick attach bracket and works equaly well in front or back.
Like the big sink, works for us. Like the couch, allows lots of options and combined with the dinette bed, makes for a great area to stretch out and or co-mingle. Anyway. Lots of storage there too.

Not so much...Microwave in a pull-out was nice touch in the 27 however we got around that with a nice storage and counter location. As we use the oven quite a bit, the Micro is the only no-like on our rig. It was not a deal breaker...

You mention your TV as a major consideration. I used a 1500 Silverado until the transmission pump went south. I now have a 2500HD Sierra, no issues. Storage and space are not a problem though we have never been out more than two weeks.

Both of the 27 and 25 share a great layout, your optoins in campground sites will grow in my opinion as tables/fire rings at the side or at the rear are both great. Love the Panoramic views from either end.
Pick one, go campin' and Stream Safe...
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
There's a lot of FB folks! We should have a FB wagon wheel rally. We could all sit at the dinettes and watch what's going on in the middle when we are inside. Talk about eyes upon you and visa versa... Kind of a direct opposite of the privacy they afford.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
27fb works for us

Randjg1 - We looked at both as well. There are several differences between the two units but we ended up going with the 27 and haven't regretted it one minute.

The final deciding factor for us was the fore-aft bed in the 27. The bed in the 25 was simply more trouble to get in and out of as well as make up than we wanted. It works for others, but was a deal breaker for our needs.

The extra storage was a nice added feature but not really a "must". We have yet to fill up the wardrobe or any of the storage under the sofa. We only use about 20% of the space under the bed and 50% of the space in the overheads.

The access to the exterior storage on the 27FB certainly leaves something to be desired. It is "workable" but not "ideal".

The microwave in the 27FB that is in the cabinet allowed us to have the oven. This was important for us but your needs may be different. The compact microwave is about useless for anything beyond heating up leftovers though. It is too small and underpowered to do much else. A large dinner plate won't fit .

We have the front pano windows as well. I really like the look, but it I have since learned that the functionality is really limited. I don't find myself laying in bed wanting to look out at the back of my truck so it turned out to be something we could have lived without.

We really like the lobster bowl sink as well as the cabinet that is rounded on the front. To me, it gives the living area a slightly more "spacious" feel even though it is pretty much identical to the 25FB. The deep sink is very useful to us for reasons listed above (washing large pots and plates). For drying dishes, we usually put a towel on the sink cover and set it on the stovetop with the dish drainer. We then wash the dishes, stack them in drainer then put the whole thing in the sink to rinse with the sprayer. Once rinsed, we either leave it in the sink to drain / dry or put it back on the stove. The counter space has not been an issue for us at all.

As for the overall length - We had some serious concerns about the length. I really wanted to keep the length to 25 feet for access to smaller camp sites. In practice though, I can honestly say ther haven't been any problems finding a spot for the 27FB. The last unit we owned was a 24 1/2' SOB. I haven't had any more difficulty backing, maneuvering or parking the 27. I am sure there are sites out there where it won't fit. I haven't found them though and I am not sure I would want to try to get a 25 in that spot either . If it is that small, a single axle would probably be best.

As for towing - I tow with a 1/2 chevy tahoe. Many on this forum will say that I am pushing it's limits, but I am within the GCVW as well as the rated towing capacity of the Tahoe, loaded as we camp. My next TV will be a Tundra. I have never felt like the trailer was over-matching the Tahoe. I am sure that a 3/4 ton diesel would feel "better". A one ton or even more would probably feel "better" still, but there is a limit to what is practical to live with when I am not towing. Just my opinion, although it is based on my "personal" real world experience. Your situation and comfort level may be different.

Good luck with your deliberations. I am quite sure you will be happy with either unit. You just have to figure out what is more important to you. We went to a dealer that had two of them sitting side by side and just went back and forth between the two units for nearly an hour. We then got into them, shut the door for about an hour and moved around, much like we would if we owned them. Sat at the dinette. Watched TV. Pretended to cook. Lay on the bed. Pretend to take a shower and so on. The time we spent doing that made the final decision pretty easy.

It is all about priorities and personal taste. Just on the sink issue alone, I simply can't imagine how someone would prefer a shallow, double bowl sink over the big deep lobster bowl that I like. I am quite certain (as has been posted above) that others have the polar opposite thought. Almost every item will have similar pluses and minuses. You need to evaluate all of these individual details and chose what works best for YOU.

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I've been following this thread for the past few days and was getting ready to post but Wayner61 has done an excellent job of describing why we also went with the 27FB.
Thanks Wayne
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #28
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
We have the lobster bowl sink in our 25fb and I love it. The double bowl sink was too small (could not fit much in it) and I really like depth of the single bowl.

One of the reason's I forgot to mention that we did go with the 25 is that we just have no need for the microwave. We boondock mostly (our first five camping trips were dry and we did not even know what it was like to have hookups until 6 months later!) so we just need the little magic chef oven/range.

We like the sideways bed (besides sleeping with feet towards the entry is called the "coffin position" _Yikes_ ) and use our panos all the time. It is one of the main reasons we bought the bed. The members of our unit have no idea how much I spy on them from bed in mornings Since our unit camps in places with spectacular views it is a wonderful way to wake up and sip coffee in bed. Mountains, WBCCI members, hawks, sometimes eagles and deer are the morning sights all from your comfy warm confines.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
We have the 27 FB and the fore/aft bed was the deal maker. We moved from a SOB fifth wheel and the side to side bed was a non starter. Love the A.S. and its a dream to tow (chev 2500 diesel)
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The center bed is nice. The bed lifts up towards the hall and you have better access than trying to stand at the foot of the side bed or approach the storage through the side narrowing clearance, especially for heavier or bulky items. It is nice to exit the bed on either side instead of having to scoot to the foot or climb over the other. The additional wadrobes on both sides add much handy storage. The large front window at the head of the bed gives optimum ventilation and a larger view than the side window.

Sinks are probably as individual a preference as cookware. I have never had a single sink but know there are advantages to either. I can easily make due with a single sink and use the other sink cover for more counter space, much like one would function with a bar sink.

photography
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
We have the 2008 27FB CCD and love it! The only thing I might have changed would have been to get the twin beds instead of the short queen.
Most of the time we have breakfast guests....the dinette seats 4.
When there are 7 of us (three friends we travel with and the four of us) it would be nice to set up a tv tray between the two twin beds creating another dinette area.
Just a thought......
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After a lot of posts favoring the 25', the 27 footers are coming on strong in the Death Match. I think the 25' FB is the most popular model overall—does majority rule?

I'm curious, 27 footers—doesn't the 27' have an option with the queen bed?—either wardrobes that reach to the ceiling, or a night stand on each side. I would choose the night stand—what did you choose and why?

Gene
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
We really didn't "choose" anything...we bought what the dealer had.
We were getting rid of our damaged 25SS
They had about 20 to choose from.

We have the pano windows in the bedroom with the short queen with night stands.
I would not have wanted the wardrobes...I think it makes things feel too closed in.

With all of this trailer talking....I can't wait to go camping again!

Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post

With all of this trailer talking....I can't wait to go camping again!

Dennis
Me too! I gotta get away from this computer—it's making me crazy with aluminitis. This laptop is aluminum too. The Safari is outside and I can see it every time I look up. I can't stand it!!!!

Gene
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
After a lot of posts favoring the 25', the 27 footers are coming on strong in the Death Match. I think the 25' FB is the most popular model overall—does majority rule?

I'm curious, 27 footers—doesn't the 27' have an option with the queen bed?—either wardrobes that reach to the ceiling, or a night stand on each side. I would choose the night stand—what did you choose and why?

Gene
I didn't choose anything either. It was the first Classic FB I saw and only 2 weeks out of the factory making the rounds at the International Rally in Salem Oregon as a new model. I traded the 3 month old 2006 25' FB SE that we had ordered being told there would NOT be any Classics in that floorplan because then they wouldn't be "Classic" The 2006 was bought at the rally by a couple with a 3 month old Bambi. I much prefer the solid hickory surfaces and cloth lined walls. The insulation and noise dampening properties were a major consideration. I also liked the multiple window treatment, no banded edges, and dust hiding elements after a long road trip it was more apparent. I'm no ceiling duster that's for sure.

I would only be knocking off the things on the end tables I am certain. Me and the dog we like cozy nooks.

photography
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Gene,

The option was if you went with the the panoramic windows in the bedroom, then you get the night stands on each side of the bed. If you went with the single window, then you would get the wardrobes with the shirt closets on each side of the bed.

I do know of one who got the single window on his 08 27FB CCD and night stands instead of the wardrobe. It looks good.

Our 2004 28' CCD had the wardrobes on each side of the bed and always felt confining to me.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
In my earlier post, I neglected to mention one of the nice features of having a 25FB with twin beds, namely the full-width exterior storage compartment. There is also a convenient nightstand with a drawer between the beds and a hanging locker over the sidewalk-side bed.

Our profile incorrectly says that we have a 25FB SE model because there is no choice for the model we actually own. Ours is probably not unique but it is most certainly in the minority among 25FB designs in that it has a standard Safari wood laminate and recycled plastic bottle fuzzy interior walls and vinyl ceiling. No pano windows. Other windows are of the older design that open only the bottom one-third to one-half. Nonetheless, the ventilation is more than satisfactory and the added insulation from the smaller glass area and from the wall and ceiling liners are much appreciated in both warm and cold weather.

This somewhat unusual configuration is certainly warmer in cold weather and cooler in warm weather than the SE aluminum-skinned interiors.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
OMG. This thread has been fantastic. Thanks to all who have shared so much insight.

Odd, though, that there's little mention of what draws me to the FB floor plan - seems like the view is much more likely to be out the back. My RV shopping partner has always been drawn to fifth wheels (over motorhomes) because of the open space and views in the back.

Maybe that's an unsaid given among the FB buyers here? Or maybe because this is a 25/27 death match thread. Could someone comment on the value of that?

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
CB,

When we were looking at trailers we didn't even think about that, but now we realize that it was a good choice. The curtains usually are closed in the bedroom and who wants to look at the back of a truck anyway? The better view is in the back and that's where we are most of the waking time. But our choice was largely based on the shortest trailer with a queen bed.

Gene
Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #40

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Good point! If there is a view from the trailer, it is most often out the back end. I don't need a view from the bedroom. The FB plan works much better for us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote