Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Soon to be Newbie

Kerrville , Texas
22' Safari Sport mods....

I have a 2008 22' Safari Sport. I love it! Just returned from 2 weeks in the Durango/Silverton Colorado area. Most of that time spent in N.F. dry camping, no real complaints. I was wondering if any owners out there know if it is possible to get the front rock shields installed on these trailers.? Any knowledge appreciated.
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
22' Sport Rock Guards

Yes, the rock guards can be installed on a 22' Safari Sport. In fact, we have one at the dealership which we installed the guards on, along with the second window by the dinette.
Colonial Airstream NJ - 2008 Airstream*Safari Sport 22'
Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Florida
Modifying that 22' Sport

Patrick ----

You made a good start by putting that second window in the Sport. Continue on and take out the dinette and put in a FB with a couple storage/hanging closets. Then remove the couch/bed and put a small table (stand-alone) and two chairs under that window by the door for two people to eat at. There's no way this would be a viable unit for four people to vacation/travel in, even if two of them were kids.

What do you think of my mod?
zekethebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
You may not have to wait long. There already is something in the works for a FB 22' Sport. I am sure it will much higher in price.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Sport Modifications

I called the Airstream factory about the wrap protectors (segment protectors) for the Sport. The Airstream part numbers are 999-00M-028 curb side and 999-00M-029 road side. These are the part numbers put on the Colonial Airstream Demo Unit. I had to track down the S/N of the Colonial unit (#521978), and then Airstream had to go back to the build schedule to find the part numbers.

The screen door guard(s) part numbers are 115-171-01 top
and 115-171-02 bottom.

I am in the process of adding a second set of LED taillights to our Sport.

Regards, SamH
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
We asked at George Sutton RV and they said they could add them to our 22" Safari Sport, I think the price was around $800. But what I was wondering is what the weight of them is?

We love our Lola, too!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have a few thousand miles on ours now and I don't see any stone damage evan though we've done quite a few gravel roads. Apparently the mud flaps on the TV and the plastic film on the front of the SS are doing a good job.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Soon to be Newbie

Kerrville , Texas
Front guards for Safari Sport

Actually I have never had any stone damage either. The A/S came with a protective film over the area. My issue is that while on our recent trip (maiden voyage) to Durango we stopped for a spell in Roswell, NM. Being cautious, I parked in a large parking lot behind the main street buildings certain that I was free of harms way.(i.e. door dings, Scuffs, etc.) After lunch we came out and it appears that a youth in a pair of roller-blades (maybe) did a nice aluminun slide on my driver side front corner. It left mostly a black scuff, which i should be able to buff out, with a nice little ding at the end. So I am seeing it is worth the cost to put protective guards over it to prevent/hide it, or get it fixed, or just live with it and call it character.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Actually I have never had any stone damage either. The A/S came with a protective film over the area. My issue is that while on our recent trip (maiden voyage) to Durango we stopped for a spell in Roswell, NM. Being cautious, I parked in a large parking lot behind the main street buildings certain that I was free of harms way.(i.e. door dings, Scuffs, etc.) After lunch we came out and it appears that a youth in a pair of roller-blades (maybe) did a nice aluminun slide on my driver side front corner. It left mostly a black scuff, which i should be able to buff out, with a nice little ding at the end. So I am seeing it is worth the cost to put protective guards over it to prevent/hide it, or get it fixed, or just live with it and call it character.
If you use your trailer. You're gonna ding it eventually especially if you boondock.

Some brat saved you the agony of dinging it yourself so relax and enjoy you're trailer and the next ding you do yourself won't hurt nearly as much.

I would get the front gaurds though. Mine have lots of road dings on them and I'd rather have that than body dings.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Long Live the Sport

Most awesome to hear from so many of the Safari Sport community! We've certainly enjoyed ours. I like the return to a simple, lite and fast (OK - and less expensive) design approach.

I too was initially concerned over the use of "peel 'n stick" stone protection in place of deflector shields. After the first three trips, and getting a couple of war wound dimples, we decided these were just a bit of character, rather than blemishes. Of course, if I end up eating these words, this thread conveniently offers the solutions for traditional protection.

As for an FB design, yeah me and the wife already had that observation. Might be just the sort of thing to make us tear into our four month old A/S!

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Sport Modifications- Front Bed Design / Mod

When we downsized from the 25' Safari to the 22' Sport, we knew that we would not use the front dinette. We installed two spacers made from plywood to make the bed surface level. We have cutouts in the spacers which allow access to the compartments under the spacers. With the table in the down position, and the spacers installed, the deck for the bed is now a level surface.
On top of the cushions we use a piece of 2" foam to eliminate the feeling of the cracks from the cushions.
We use a TravelSack for bedding, which eliminates making the bed. We then use a sheet on the top of the TravelSack for protection from our dogs. We normally travel with at least one of our Labrador Retrievers.
In the space under the table, we use a large long plastic box for additional storage.

More mods are in the works.

SamH
AIR #13642
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkyII View Post
Please post some pictures as your Sport modifications evolve!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
Soon to be Newbie

Kerrville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
Most awesome to hear from so many of the Safari Sport community! We've certainly enjoyed ours. I like the return to a simple, lite and fast (OK - and less expensive) design approach.
it is nice to see so many in the Safari Sport community. I am just around the corner from Helotes. We should spawn a Sport rally somewhere in the Texas Hill Country.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Kerrville neighbor

Hi Hickey,
Being from Kerrville myself thought I would drop you a line and say hello!!
If you do not have mudflaps on your tow vehicle that would be a good investment to make. Mudflaps.com good source and I believe when I ordered mine it was actually a Costco internet supplier. My only regret I should of ordered the day I picked up the trailer. Drop me a line when you get a chance.
Rich Gallagher
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkyII View Post
When we downsized from the 25' Safari to the 22' Sport, we knew that we would not use the front dinette. We installed two spacers made from plywood to make the bed surface level. We have cutouts in the spacers which allow access to the compartments under the spacers. With the table in the down position, and the spacers installed, the deck for the bed is now a level surface.
On top of the cushions we use a piece of 2" foam to eliminate the feeling of the cracks from the cushions.
We use a TravelSack for bedding, which eliminates making the bed. We then use a sheet on the top of the TravelSack for protection from our dogs. We normally travel with at least one of our Labrador Retrievers.
In the space under the table, we use a large long plastic box for additional storage.

SamH
We do much of the same using dual temp sleeping bags. We haven't felt a need for xtra foam yet. Have two standard poodles. The space under the bed is used for storing outdoor folding chairs and tables. When set up may be used as a hidy hole for one of the Poodles who is frightened by thunder.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
We should spawn a Sport rally somewhere in the Texas Hill Country.
Sounds like a great idea. Please send me a PM if you'd like to discuss.

John W

Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Sport Modifications - Bed Spacer / Travelsack

Here are a couple of photos of the spacers for the bed, and the Travelsack.We have used sleeping bags in the past, but the Travelsack comes with sheets which are held in with Velcro. They are also of dual temperature design.Sam H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	66164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	66165  

AIR #13642
Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Sport Modifications - Reflective Tape / Additional Stop/Tail/Turn lights

Here are a couple of photos of the black reflective tape and STT lights. Also visible is the vent cover from Camping World. SamH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	66166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_04531.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	66167  

AIR #13642
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Sport 22 FB

Well, the factory finally decided to make your same front bedroom modifications:

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2009 Airstream Sport 22' FB

I'm eying this design with some envy, but am not sure which we'd really prefer without a test drive. Oh well, I have three years to consider it, until we get back to Streaming...

Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
The new Sport 22' FB also has a nice U shaped curb side dinette. I called Inland RV today and asked for the parts cost to replace my curbside gaucho with the new U shaped dinette. This povides a table, when the front dinette is used as a bed. We currently use a small fold up table. Did you notice they (Airstream) are also providing a TravelSack for the bedding.
They have also moved the TV antenna aft, and the speakers are in the ceiling over the new dinette.
I am now in the process of installing solar on my trailer. The prewire solar is from the ceiling vent area to the front battery buss located in the front inside cabinet according to the manual. I don't think they (Airstream) thought about the solar controller location.
Another major disign flaw is that the trailer does not have an outside light. The step light just doesn't provide enough light, as we found out when boondocking for a week in Quartzsite.
Another problem I had was the skylight leaking. After removing the sealant which Airstream used to over up the stress crackes in the skylight, from improper installation of the mounting screws. It appears the screws are over tightened on installation. Inland RV makes skylight covers which are thicker. I don't know for sure if they have the correct size for the Sport, but will be finding out.
SamH
AIR #13642