Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The one curious thing I see - looking at the brochure, the 22' Sport with the front dinette actually winds up with a bigger bed than the FB model - 60" vs 54." I wonder if that's an actual real-world difference or brochure-speak.

A question for you Sport owners - how is ventilation with the partial-opening windows?
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
A question for you Sport owners - how is ventilation with the partial-opening windows?
Some folks just don't like the 'old school' standard RV-styled Hehr windows. But functionally, cool nights in the mountains and balmy evenings on the shore have shown plenty of flow through breeze. A very low speed setting on the Fantastic Fan in the rear vent pulls quite well through the whole trailer.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
The one curious thing I see - looking at the brochure, the 22' Sport with the front dinette actually winds up with a bigger bed than the FB model - 60" vs 54." I wonder if that's an actual real-world difference or brochure-speak.

This is true as we measured and one of the reasons why we ended up with the Sport. No problem with the ventilation. As Whizzo stated, the FFan does a great job and is quiet too.
Have no problems with dings evan though we have travelled a few hundred miles on gravel roads. The Ridgline has great mud flaps. Our step light is more than adequate for our use when boondocking.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #24
Airstringers

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
Speaking of mods...
anyone checked out putting a rear bumper on the Sport 22?
Bellah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
Hey Snorky, did you get a price from Inland for the curbside dinette? we have the same arrangement and converting the dinette to a bed is a real hassle.
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Jim: As I remember the cost for the curbside dinette parts was about $2000. This was for the three cabinet bases, the cushions and table. My wife had me clean up my computer paper "mess" a couple of weeks ago, and I threw out the exact numbers.

I have been looking at converting the dinette myself. I think I could use two of the original seat cushions, and use most of the original base cabinetry. I would need to make new cabinet end pieces, and rework a cushion. I would need to make a new table, but it could be made from the existing table, if I make a replacement board for the bed.
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
BUMP. Has anyone worked on additional mods since this summer?

John W

Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Mod No Mod

We did a little more looking at our current floor plan use, to figure out if mods were worthwhile:

- The extra long table in the current plan lets us spread out for computer workspace, trip planning maps, and enjoy dinner all at the same time. The FB smaller dinette wouldn't offer the same.

- The current gaucho bed is smaller than the converted dinette, sure. But the aftermarket Sleep Sack system makes this a comfortable and quick bed (And it is great the factory includes the Sack in the new FBs).

- I've got the smaller capacity axle (4000 vice 4500), so I really have to watch the net capacity pounds on any hardware mods.

- The non-FB Sport 22 was only made for two years, so it eventually becomes a rare collectible floor plan

So I reckon it's no mods for now.

John W

Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #29

2008 22' Safari
Keystone Heights , Florida
step light LED light replacement

I need to replace the LED light by the stairs on my 2008 Sport. There is no screw to remove it. How is the light replaced?
edgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
Speaking of mods...
anyone checked out putting a rear bumper on the Sport 22?
I plan to do that, ...but the price is about $800.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
OK... I did it! And it works out really fine and I like the addt'l storage it provides. I wrote it up elsewhere, I'll try to find the link.

Here's the thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...er-148906.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bummper1.png
Views:	373
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	269609  
Old 06-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #32

2008 22' Safari
Boca Raton , Florida
2008 22 Safari Sport

As a brand new owner, this is my first foray into the Air Forums. We searched long and hard for an Affordable Airstream. We really wanted a new 25FB, but it was definitely out of our price range. Found this well taken care of 22 Sport. My question is this. Our configuration has a dining room table at the front that converts into the main bed. Across from the kitchen is a sofa that also converts to a bed. We want to convert the Sofa into our dining area and the bed would stay put full time. Anybody do this before? Any ideas would be helpful.
Oh, and what is curbside?
fdracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Curbside is the passenger side of a vehicle (US left hand drive) or right side of the vehicle facing forward in direction of travel.

Streetside is used to denote the driver or left side of a US vehicle...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdracman View Post
As a brand new owner, this is my first foray into the Air Forums. We searched long and hard for an Affordable Airstream. We really wanted a new 25FB, but it was definitely out of our price range. Found this well taken care of 22 Sport. My question is this. Our configuration has a dining room table at the front that converts into the main bed. Across from the kitchen is a sofa that also converts to a bed. We want to convert the Sofa into our dining area and the bed would stay put full time. Anybody do this before? Any ideas would be helpful.
Oh, and what is curbside?
That is EXACTLY what we have done with OUR 2008 22' Sport.

We ordered/bought a foam mattress for the queen bed ...after dropping the table and levelling the table top with the seats. We removed all the Airstream cushions and used Harbor Freight foam "walkway" pads they sell which interlock for a work shop. They are 1/2" thick and made the seats the same height as the table top. Next we installed a foam mattress we ordered (discussed in another thread) from "foambymail" website. We are very happy with the bed.

As for the lounge as an eating area.... we use two wooden, folding Television-tables which we store between the bed and the sink/counter. We sit on the lounge and eat off the tv-tables. This also allows us to view television.

Enjoy your 22' Sport. We think it's the ideal size and arrangement for a couple.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Window film

We added window film from Bed Bath and Beyond that look like the blinds that came with our 22 Bambi. The blinds don't give complete privacy. We covered the bath room window completely and the lower panes of the windows by the bed.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote