Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

2009 17' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Red face 2008 17' Safari Sport Loud Water Pump

We bought the trailer new in November of '09 from the dealer in Spokane. When the 12v water pump was used, the plastic water pipes would thrash between the side of shower and the exterior of the trailer. The noise could be heard in the next campsite. The dealer said he had worked on it, but nothing changed. I fixed it myself by doing the following:
1. Remove the heater vent on the outside of the trailer.
2. Remove two heater mount screws and remove heater. Mark all wires.
Cut the white one and splice when reinstalling.
3. Remove lower panel surrounding the heater. (6 screws)
4. Trace hot and cold water pipes up between shower and exterior. It's tight
in that space. If you're a big guy, get someone skinny to do it.
5. Using a can of minimal expanding polyurethane foam with a two foot
spout attached, spray the pipes up and back as far as you can reach.
6. Let the foam set for a day before testing.

Following these steps, my pump sound is normal now. I some how blew a heater fuse in the process.
Dale Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Water pump noise

I have a 25' Safari and had similar noises. Two dealers tried to fix it, but couldn't change the connection method under warranty. The problem is Airstream not following the water pump recommendations - use flexible connections for the pump. I purchased flex connections at the local hardware store and that eliminated the problem. They run $5 - 10 each.

Here's a link to what I did (it also shows a small accumulator installed to shorten pump cycling time.

Good luck!

- Larry

- Larry
lwp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
cleveland , Tennessee
I have a 2008 safari sport 17ft.the water pump was located behind cab.with no way to service it.the factory service center had to install a door just to get to it.some things i did to our sport that made it better----installed a toolbox between lp. Gas tanks-over battery for storage--looks good,placed shelves in closet,redesigned table and mounted it where fire ext. Is mounted beside stove--folds out in seconds works very well,designed ext. For leveling jacks that sticks out to radius under wrap--thus your not on the ground with the tool trying to find the jacks.i can give more info. If your interesed. Hargett
Hargett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

2009 17' Sport
Portland , Oregon
2008 17' Safari Sport

We also had an interesting (but stupid) experience with the Toshiba TV/DVD player. We forgot that we had left a DVD in the player and put in another one. Yes, it sucked it right in but of course wouldn't play it. I suspected what had happened and started to put in another DVD. It tried to suck that one in too.
I took the back off of the TV and was able to push the two DVD's out. No harm done. The DVD player worked fine after that.
Dale Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my '07 safari, I also get noise from the pipes behind the shower. Adding the flexible connectors and insulating the pipes where I can see them hasn't helped. I'm going to see if I can get some behind the shower. By the way don't use the latex spray foam- it crumbles easily. The urethane foam is much more durable.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I have the same problem in our 2010 22 fb Sport. Are the 17' and 22' configured the same way?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote