Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
08 25' Safari SS ordered

I have taken the plung and ordered a 25' Safari SE SS in Midnight Sun, (to match my dogs).

We have a 22' Chateau, and it is getting up in years (it is a 1994), so we decided to go for it. Hopefully this is the last trailer we will ever buy.

It will not be in until late November, early December, so I will not get to use it until Spring.

We are debating on getting the Hensley Hitch. I will post another tread on the Hitchs list to get some opinions on that.

Thanks
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the same unit you are looking at minus the SE trims.

Though the Hensley is nice, it's not required for something this small. I use the dual cams and they work great and, at far less than 25% of what a Hensley will set you back....

I will say that at 25' the proper tow vehicle is by far the most important part of the equations because the coach as spec'd out will easily hit 6000lbs of wet weight and could very well get close to the max GVWR of 7300 lbs. Not for the short wheelbase type tow vehicles. I see you have a 1 ton van...should be up to the task. My only concern is the ride harshness of the added spring capacity....Airstreams are notorious for liking softer rides. Mine jaunts around a bit more than I'd like with a 3/4 ton.....

Etiher way you go though, it's a phenomial floorplan. Yes it has a few shortcomings, but I'm not fulltiming in it.

I think it's the perfect size (having come from a 19' Bambi). Matter of fact, I ordered mine around the same time and picked mine up just before the Christmas holiday break where the factory shuts down for about a week or so.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
CONGRATS bernermom!!! I know how exciting this time is. Our 08 Safari 27FB should be here in a matter of weeks. It's ok if you have to wait until spring to use it, at least you go in it, play around, get everything you need and of course dream......... Good luck.
Brian
PS what's your TV?
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Midnight Sun? I thought they were out of it. I know there was a lot of demand for midnight sun, so maybe they purchased another lot. Great! And congrats BTW...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
my new Safari

I ordered the audio video pkg, with the 21" flat screen. I think it is more than we need, but the dealer talked me into it.

I compete in agility with my dog, and many of our trips will be to dog events, and when we are camping in it, we will be out hiking and by the fire, so I we don't watch very much TV. However, we plan to retire in the next year or two, and then will spend more time in the AS, so maybe the TV will be nice to have.

I am concerned about the comment about the 1 ton van being too harsh of a ride for the AS. Our tow vehicle is only 1 1/2 years old, so I do not want to trade it in. Will this hurt the AS or just be a choppy ride?

I think the floor plan will be good for us. The FB plan does have some nice features, but not enough floor space with two big dogs. This SS floor plan is very similar to what I have now in my 22' Chateau.

Also, anyone have a problem with the unit being wide when towing. Our current trailer is almost 8 narrower.

The dealer did not say anything about Midnight Sun being unavailable, so I hope that is not true. He had a unit on order that was not built on the inside yet, and said we could get whatever we wanted. The dealer had a very large inventory, but none with the color and floor plan we wanted.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

25 foot Safari se

Congrats on your order.

We have an 05 edition of the trailer and we travel with two big golden retrievers - we chose this trailer because it has a lot of floor space. It has been great with the dogs. the other thing is it has two closets. We use one for clothes and one for utility stuff plus dog equipment and a hamper. I do not know how we would cope with a trailer with only one closet. I've looked that the FB that came out after ours. While the bed setup is nice I can't imagine where the dogs would fit. Our safari has the BEST kitchen, I love it. We cook a lot and it has plenty of storage and the sink area and microwave are great. Love it!

one thing we added that has been nice - we sit on the sofa a lot, and found with the two of us something wasn't totally comfortable with it - like we wanted to put our feet up. So a little stool can help. I bought one of those new ottomans you can get where the top lifts off and there is storage inside. we put it on the dinette side of the sofa and it almost makes it like an L shaped sofa. Except you get the convenience of a pull out bed when you move it. we store our books and magazines in it so it is great.

at night we put the ottoman between us and the dogs.We have one golden that is so velcro he loves to sleep right beside the bed (which is unfortunately in front of the bathroom door). So that keeps them out of the way during the night.

The vinyl floor is wonderful with dogs I can't imagine having carpet in a trailer. I just sweep several times a day quickly and it keeps the trailer from getting too fuzzy.

Enjoy your trailer it is great. We tow with a dodge 3500 pickup long bed dually, too much truck for the trailer but, it tows it like it doesn't even know it is behind us.

One thing too I've learned to drive it with no problem, Airstreams are easy to learn to tow. I like being independent and not having to rely on the hubby
good thing because twice this year while camping up north he was in accidents and couldn't drive home.
Barbara
red2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks for the tips

Thanks to all for the replies. Red2dogs, I like the idea of the ottoman. In the trailer we have now, we are not comfortable on the couch either, so we often fold down the couch to a bed, and lay on that to put our feet up. But the ottoman sounds like a better idea. Where do you store that when you travel? I was wondering about it moving around.

I also like to cook and think the kitchen will be great. We first considered the 23', until I saw that the refridgerator was smaller, and it only had a single sink. I like the double sink much better.

I am getting very anxious, by the time the trailer comes in, however, it will probably be late November, early December, so the camping season will be over. We will have to camp in our yard!

I feel a little silly, because when someone asked me what tv we had, I replied about the 23" TV. Now I realize that means tow vehicle. Not sure yet about all the lingo, like what is a SOB. It used to mean son of a #$#, but I am sure that is not what people are saying

Do you find that the width is a problem when towing. Ours will be 8'6" wide, not sure if that is the same as the 05, but it is 8 inches wider than what we have now.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Picking up '08 25' SE Monday

We are picking up a 2008 25' Safari SE Monday in Denver. It's off the lot. Interior is "stratus" which looks tan to me. It will come with an Equalizer hitch. We've never had a trailer before, so this should be an adventure. We've been reading up on everything we can, but it will still be a challenge. I hope we don't hit a telephone pole driving out of the dealer lot.

We plan on staying at a nearby campground that night and checking everything out. If the Rockies haven't swept Boston by Sunday night we can check out the TV for the 5th game of the World Series, though I haven't a clue how big the TV is. TV in this case means television.

Weather in Colorado is sunny and clear for the next week, so I won't have to tow it to the western slope in snow, an adventure I don't wish to experience just yet. Does anyone chain trailer tires? Do they come with highway, all season or M&S tires? I've lived in very snowy climates for about 40 years and nothing has ever stopped me except road closures, but I think towing a travel trailer in snow is asking for it. Given where we live and our habit of traveling in all seasons, I will eventually face a bad storm.

I just looked at the tires on my Tundra and couldn't find out a weight rating except for 2,601 lbs./tire. Maximum pressure is 44 lbs. I'm unclear on whether I'll have to get better tires soon and fear the cost. I need to get an inverter, but the boxes don't tell whether they are true sine wave and will need that to charge my laptop. Next place to look is Amazon.

I don't know what SOB means either.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Some Other Brand
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Congrats Gene

Congratulations Gene on your Airstream, what floor plan are you getting?

We have been trailering for 13 years now, and love it. My husband was very hesitant to get one at first, he was concerned about towing. Our first trip 13 years ago, was to a local park, (not even a campground), just for the afternoon, to try out towing. When we came home, he could not get it back into the parking spot next to our home, so he left it in the street. We laugh when we think about that now, because he easily backs it in now.

Take your time, and you will get used to towing. We find that using walkie talkies can help when I am directing him as he is backing up. Practice does help. Our 85 year old aunt, who is still full timing it in a small motor home, says that sometimes it is best if the wife back up, and the husband directs her. Much less fighting that way!

Cannot help with the chain question, not much snow in NJ.

We are going to use a generator, as I need to be able to run the air due to heat sensitivity from MS, so we are not getting an invertor.

Please post and let us know how your first night goes.

Diane
Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And congratulations to you as well, bernermom. We have heard about spouses screaming at each other at campgrounds. We do have a couple of walkie-talkies and if we've gotten through perpetual house remodeling, we can survive backing up a trailer. We have 37 acres, so it'll fit somewhere. We bought some red cones, so we will practice backing with them. Better than bashing a tree and a trailer.

We got the PV option (96 watts) so we'll have added power here in the sunny SW, but still need an inverter and hoping to avoid a generator. I'll probably replace the batteries at some point with 6 v. golf cart ones if they fit in the battery box. That should substantially increase reserves for wilderness style camping. I'm sure we'll be making many modifications and additions as we learn and we can make it our custom Airstream.

We are getting the FB. This was the smallest one with a queen and since we are tall, we knew we would be uncomfortable in a double, especially the non-standard narrow doubles in many Airstreams. It has a sofa (more like a love seat) and a more open floor plan than some other models. I really liked the 27', but we didn't want one too big for FS campgrounds and to tow on backroads in the Rockies. Also, we save several hundred pounds and $4,000+. With the SW getting hotter and hotter, we may need a generator also if we use this in the summer or shoulder seasons. I am hoping a 1 kw is enough, but I doubt it. We'll figure this out as we go along. After we get back home next week, we'll try to do another test in a week or so, and then may take it to Arizona and the California desert and coast in November. I hope that's not trial by fire.

I'm sure you are pouring over the brochures and waiting eagerly. Our salesman e-mailed us photos of the trailer so we could see what we've done.

I'm more curious about chains than planning on getting them. I hate chains and have always had trucks that could drive through anything except 6" deep mud (chains will do that, but best to turn around).

Gene
Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Another agility Airstreaming mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I compete in agility with my dog, and many of our trips will be to dog events, and when we are camping in it, we will be out hiking and by the fire, so I we don't watch very much TV....I think the floor plan will be good for us. The FB plan does have some nice features, but not enough floor space with two big dogs.
Congratulations on your new "crate for the kids"! I compete in agility with my two Goldens in the New England area. We just upgraded from a T@B teardrop trailer to a 2003 22" International CCD this past summer. I don't consider the floorplan ideal, but it was a good step up from the tiny T@B. Plus, it has indoor plumbing and my husband can walk upright!

We have thought about our next Airstream and the 25 foot looks like a nice size. Do you have a queen bed or the corner bed next to the bath? Will you have enough floor space for your berner?

Hope to see you at some trials someday.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Mary,
We ordered the one with the bed in the corner, next to the bath. It's the 25' SS SE. It it the one with the sofa in front, the dinette, and the bed in the corner back. We considered the one without the dinette, it has even more floor space, but we use the dinette a lot now in our current trailer, which has a very similar floor plan to the one we ordered. We are happy with that , except for the difficulty making the bed. But actually the AS bed will not be as hard as the one we have now, as you have more access to the end of the bed. The floor plan FB, with the queen bed did not have enough floor space for us with the big dogs, and we did not like the sink and flip up counter arrangement either. The SE models are 6 inches wider, so that helps also.

I run my Australian Shepherd in agility, and also run my friends Sheltie. My Bernese is rather large and a bit of a handful, 2 1/2 but still a big baby. I will do Rally with him, but not sure I want to do much agility, due to his size.

We mainly compete here in NJ, and PA, DE. I know alot of people that go to the Springfield trials, but we have never gone that far. Do you ever come down to NJ area?

Diane
Propwash Day High Stickeen, MX MXJ NF CGC
Wyemede's Min Bamse Brakar
Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Congrats on the new Airstreams. In reply to the question about pulling an Airstream in snow (with or without chains), I haven't done so ever but have lived all my life in the midwest where snow and icy roads are an everday thing in the winter. Therefore, I will avoid pulling our AS in snow at all costs. Not only because it would be easy to jacknife but also because I don't want road salt eating away at it. I'm sure someone has experience doing so. I've been in the Rockies many times during the summer and know that I don't want to be pulling the AS in snow. CO has a new snowchain law. Saw it on road signs this past year but haven't read up on it.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Hi Diane,
Your AS sounds wonderful and I know you will love it!

I haven't trialed much outside the MA, CT area, once in eastern NY, the infamous Blackthorne trial! The Thanksgiving cluster in Springfield is a real event! The largest AKC event in the country - agility, obedience, conformation. We were there last year and Logan earned his novice preferred jumpers title in the weekend. Our agility plans have been put on hold until the first of the year. Logan has an ear canal tumor that required surgery to remove the canal and now daily radiation treatments in Boston to shrink what remains. I first noticed a problem last July at a trial, wobbly gait, head tilt, overly slow. As you can imagine, it has been a very difficult few months.

My younger dog Blaze was just about to begin competing. I have entered him in some matches, but needed to pull him from trials when his brother got sick and we couldn't go to the trials. We also started a vending business at trials so all that has been put on hold too.

I always love talking to fellow agility competitors! I never thought I would become so obsessed but it gave us the excuse we needed to buy the Airstream.

Hope to see you in Springfield someday!

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Congrates on your order. We too are looking at the 25 SS model without the SE option. We like the wrap around window in the front but, don't think we would like the Stainless interior, especially in the corner bed.
The concern we have is would the sides be cold in the winter? Since I would be up against the wall, I don't think I would like that. Also, I hate to see finger prints. How do owners deal with this issue? That is why I think the regular 25 SS with the LS option package would due for us. Padded ceiling and carpeted sides may even provide more sound deading and insulation in the trailer.
Thoughts?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I am not a good judge of if the SE interior would be cold in winter, as I really like it cold.

I never thought about the sound issue, but I think the metal interior would be much easier to clean than what i have now. My interior is vinyl wallpaper, and we like campfires, and the interior gets very dirty. The idea of being able to really wipe down the interior and not worry about the wall paper/carpet getting wet was appealing to me. I think it is a clean look, but probably to cold for some.

I guess that is why there is vanilla and chocolate!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Be careful wiping it down. We checked out our AS today and found the interior walls do have sharp edges where the pieces overlap.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Colorado Chain Law

As Rich wrote, the Colorado chain law was amended this year. The target was truckers who attempt to get over the mountains without chaining up despite the road signs announcing the law is in effect. They are under a lot of time pressure. We have seen many trucks stuck on grades who didn't chain up. They sometimes block the highway going up or jackknife on the way down. Mostly the changes were to increase penalties for commericial towing of trailers. The fine looks to be only a $66 ticket. I doubt it will change old habits. Chaining only is for drive wheels if I read the statute correctly.

FYI, chains don't mean only chains. It includes 4WD with "adequate" tires for the conditions or on any vehicle M&S or snow tires, or even all-season tires. I guess the only thing excluded is "speed" tires on sporty cars or racing slicks. If you want to read up on Colorado statutes (ha!), see Sections 42-4-106(5) and 42-4-1701(4)(a)(I)(F), Colorado Revised Statutes. There's really nothing about travel trailers.

I'd certainly avoid driving on snowy roads, but in Colorado, and many other places, weather can blow in quick. The snow season here is from September to May, or more. I was told by the salesman to turn off the brake controller on snow—hmmm? It may prevent locked up trailer wheels, but the trailer pushing the TV could be a disaster too.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1
Congrates on your order. We too are looking at the 25 SS model without the SE option. We like the wrap around window in the front but, don't think we would like the Stainless interior, especially in the corner bed.
The concern we have is would the sides be cold in the winter? Since I would be up against the wall, I don't think I would like that. Also, I hate to see finger prints. How do owners deal with this issue? That is why I think the regular 25 SS with the LS option package would due for us. Padded ceiling and carpeted sides may even provide more sound deading and insulation in the trailer.
Thoughts?
We just purchased a 2001 Safari 25 SS with the padded ceiling and cloth interior. Aside from the fact we couldn't afford a new one, we preferred the decore of this one over many of the newer models with aluminum interiors. To us it provides the feel being in a private jet. Being nylon I doubt it would add any insulation value, but it should help suppress noise. We'll have to be careful to keep it clean though - we're having the the dealer treat it with a fabric guard.

Putting carpet on the floor in our 2001 was a dumb idea, but we'll wait a while before replacing it with vinyl or laminate.

To bernermon: Congrats on the new trailer! I think it's a great choice!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote