Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I should have spent the weekend preparing for Christmas, but could not resist moving in to our new trailer. We had boxed up everything from the old SOB, and it was cluttering the office.

But first I lined all the closets with either heavy vinyl shelf liner, or the rubbery kind that prevents things from moving around, depending on which closet it was.

I was surprised to find that large paper plates do not fit into the closets above the sink and stove. Well I guess I will have to buy the smaller size and eat a little less!

I enjoyed my favorite tunes on the CD player, while I worked on the moving in, and the dogs hung out with me. I had a few problems getting the CD changer to work, and finally pulled out the manual, and all was well. The dogs wanted to get up on the sofa, but to their surprise I would not allow that! I want to get a fleece cover that is large enough for the sofa before I let them up there. I have only found 60 X 70, but need at least 60 X 80, so I will keep looking.

I ran the furnace, but forgot to try the Heat Pump again. I know it works, because the salesperson had that on when I went up there to visit her.

I can't wait until we can go camping! I think our first trip will probably be to an agility trial with the dogs the last weekend of March. We also received a coupon for free camping at an Airstream only park, which just happens to be about 7 miles from our home. We don't usually go so close to home, but what the heck. They have a pool, so we can go in the warm weather next summer.

This is such fun.

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Diane,

Barb put the large paper plates in a drawer under the sink and real plates (yes, we have some 1960's Corningware for fine dining and it's really hard to break) in a drawer under the curbside dinette seat. Your floor plan is completely different, but you do have a dinette and a sink, so maybe the same large drawers are under them.

Like you, I guess, she seems to take over decorating and when I find where she stashed something, the next time it's somewhere else.

Your ability to wait until March to go somewhere in your new baby amazes me.

How was the tow home?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Diane,

(yes, we have some 1960's Corningware for fine dining and it's really hard to break)

Your ability to wait until March to go somewhere in your new baby amazes me.

How was the tow home?

Gene
I have some much newer Corningware, it's from the 70's .

We don't have much of a choice but to wait until March. All the campgrounds are closed, and my husband really does not want to have to de-winterize, and then winterize again. We can "play" camp in the yard . We will probably also take it out to the county park about 20 minutes from here and take a hike and then have lunch in her, just to get a little more practice towing with the Hensley and AS.

The ride home went fine. The Hensley does tow very well, and we did not feel the trucks as they passed us on the highway.

Diane
Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #64
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Honey Where's The........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Diane,

Like you, I guess, she seems to take over decorating and when I find where she stashed something, the next time it's somewhere else.

Gene
SWEETHEART....I can't find the coffee pot!!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Wow, I am impressed, I take that to mean that you would actually make coffee for yourself!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #66
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
Wow, I am impressed, I take that to mean that you would actually make coffee for yourself!
Breakfast too...for both of us!!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Goodness you guys, if Donna sees that someone is breaking the "spousal law" and the GUY is doing the cooking I'll be in major domo do-do. For almost 39 years I've been telling her that it would be illegal for me to make it any time of the day.

And of course she wouldn't want me to lose face with my buddies .

So let's not have any more of these discouraging words about guys doing the cooking (BBQ's are the exception of course - only guys can properly BBQ food while camping - unless they're busy chatting with the other guys of course, then the ladies do a passable job).

Barry
Old 12-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Our Silver Lining is LEAKING!

We had a fairly good rain the other day, and we out to find that the blanket on the sofa was wet. The window in the front had water dripping from the bottom of the window, so I imagine it is a leak in the window area.

I thought these units were throughly water tested . Well apparently not throughly enough. It's a bummer, now we will have to tow her up to the dealer for a repair before we have even made our first trip.

Happy Holidays to all!

Diane
Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We had the same problem, from the top of a window. The dealer repaired, but it still leaks. We're thinking of going to Jackson Center next year and letting them do it.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #70
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We haven't found any leaks and it's too cold now, but when we get another warm day and the snow melts, I'll check again. Seems like we have the rare Airstream without leaks.

As for coffee, I don't drink it, it makes me too crazy and tea provides me with plenty of non-jittery caffeine. As for cooking, Barb is such an exemplary cook it would be foolish for me to compete, besides division of labor is the sign of a civilized and advanced culture. I'm in charge of the black and grey water, but maybe I should increase my cooking skills and let her drain those nasty tanks. She bought me some waterproof super special gloves for Xmas so I think there's a message there.

Gene
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Day Trip in our Silver Lining

We took the Silver Lining out for a short day trip yesterday. It was the first time that my husband hooked up the Hensley hitch. It was a learning curve as expected. He could hook up the old Reese hitch in 10 - 15 minutes, but this took about an hour. Of course, it will get better with experience.

We drove to a state park with the intention of taking a hike and having lunch. However, my head cold was getting the best of me, so we turned on the heat, and the stereo, and just stayed indoors, much to the protest of the dogs! We did get more of a feel for the spaciousness compared to our old SOB. Even thought it is only 3 feet bigger, the extra width really makes a difference. Even with both dogs inside, we were not tripping over ourselves.

We have not gotten back to the dealer to have them fix the leak yet. We were supposed to go on Saturday, but we were both not feeling very well, so we decided to wait. The leak is in front panoramic windows. We were also thinking that we wanted to have a little more time to see if there are any other leaks or issues before we drive back to the dealer.

Happy New Year

Diane
Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
a few pics of our AS and dogs

Here are a few pictures of the AS and our dogs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 020.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	52479 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 030.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	52480

Name:	Trailer 023.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	52481
Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Beautiful pups! The trailer isn't bad either!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
Here are a few pictures of the AS and our dogs.

Attachment 52479 Attachment 52480

Attachment 52481
Hey Diane it looks very nice. Love the dogs too..
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Great....

Great looking new rig.

Saw your post on the haha thread, don't let the learning curve get too

you. If you haven't already, and you have a camping store nearby, get a set

of these, they are a great help!!!

QWorks Hitchin' Rods - Trailer hitch alignment guide

Sure doesn't take the four leggers long to make themselves at home

...love-it!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02385.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	52484   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA SHAKEDOWN 015.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	52485  

Old 01-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Diane

It's nice to see that you are providing appropriate comfortable lodging for your pups. After all, they give you all their love and attention (unless there's a really good dog toy around, then they'll get back to you).

Your set up sure is pretty. You can just imagine how great it looks to others when you are zipping down the highway, or parked in a CG.

Good for you guys.

Barry
Old 01-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks, I do agree that the Silver Lining looks pretty good, and the dogs do like their new dog house!

Now if we could just learn to hitch the Hensley up we would be fine. Our first real trip is in the end of March to an Agility Trial with the dogs. My husband is off that day, (Easter break), so he will have plenty of time to hook up the trailer, and we camp at the show site, so maybe we will not even unhook!

Diane
Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
I love your animal decorating theme. I was considering redecorating with something similar. I figure with all the dog fur I'm half way there.

Good to see the large Berners are quite comfortable in a 25 ft. We are thinking of upgrading to that length someday.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Yes the Berner is comfortable in the AS, the little guy on the sofa is an Australian Shepherd. I think one large dog is about the limit. The Aussie is half the size of the Berner,but in Berner colors.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dog and sofa envy

Thanks for the pictures. Now we know what you look like and a little bit of that old guy with the baseball cap we can see through the window above the dogs. We thought of getting a dog, but decided the mostly outdoor cat would disappear—he's a good mouser, but timid when dogs are around. We haven't had a dog for a long time because we travel a lot and motels are difficult about dogs; different story when you have your house with you. We can't imagine how we could make the cat accept a dog (he doesn't trust me much either, but bonded to Barb). We can't solve that one.

So I'm envious of you having dogs and that nice comfy sofa. Our Safari's sofa is more like a bench.

I'm wondering how long before you give in and take a weekend trip before winter is out, even before the dog trials.

Gene