Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
some '81 pics

These first pics are from a model I found for sale after purchasing mine. It helped me to determine that mine was at least larger then a 22', but I'm still not certain if I have a 24' , or 25'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1981_excella22.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	34921   Click image for larger version

Name:	1981_excella22-2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	34922  

Name:	1981_excella22-3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	34923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1981_excella22-4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	34924  

Old 03-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
my 81 pics

These are so far what few pics I've taken. I didn't really take any before pics, but I have a couple from the PO. Maybe I'll compare when I finally finish with the skin. At the point of these I had already replaced the stripe, and started cleaning, and polishing the skin. I had to work on it after work, but between camping trips. Charlie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream arches.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	34925   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream July 06.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	34926  

Name:	vacation 010.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	34927  

Old 03-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Your photos make me itch to get out camping again.

If you post a clear photo of your ID plate or just give a description of the numbers, there are folks here who can tell you what you have.
Dave
Old 03-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
1981 Excella II

Hi and welcome to the forums. We have a 1981 24' International Caravelle that looks almost like yours. I just looked the Excellaup in my owners manual and you have a 25 footer. Which bed arrangement do you have - the double or twin. Ours comes with a twin set up. We will have to compare notes on our trailers. Wade and Pam.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Your photos make me itch to get out camping again.

If you post a clear photo of your ID plate or just give a description of the numbers, there are folks here who can tell you what you have.
Dave
I sure didn't expect to get any replies this quickly. From the looks of the model specific forums it looks like some of them sit here for months with no post.

Thanks for the idea of posting the ID plate Dave. I don't have a pic, and the plate isn't 100%, but I could clean it carefully, and see if it will photograph. The ID # is legible.
It's still winter up here in the mountains at 9200', and she's covered in snow right now. Just looking at last years pics makes me long for camping as well. I'll be de-wintering in 2 weeks, and taking her down to Windish rv in Denver to have a rock guard installed. I'm hoping they can answer some of my many questions then.
Charlie
Old 03-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade&pam
Hi and welcome to the forums. We have a 1981 24' International Caravelle that looks almost like yours. I just looked the Excellaup in my owners manual and you have a 25 footer. Which bed arrangement do you have - the double or twin. Ours comes with a twin set up. We will have to compare notes on our trailers. Wade and Pam.
Thanks for the info, I was leaning towards thinking it was a 25'. The trailer measures 24'8" from bumper to hitch ball. We have the twin set up, and it sleeps 4 nice and snug. We've basically finished with the inside. Some cabinet work, shades, curtains, and replaced the carpet. I plan on posting some good pics once I finish polishing the skin with the cylo in a few weeks. The difference in finishes on the skin between the 80's models is something I'm very curious about. I think the skin on my 81 has a more brushed finish then the older models, but it's still way more shiny then the finish on the models made today. I'd love to compare notes on our trailers as well. It's too bad you live so far away. We have a lot of things planned for our airstream this summer, but our big trip will be to Olympic, Ranier, and Redwoods for 2 weeks. We'll be staying in Camp Cushman, and Dalles in Washington just outside of each park.
Charlie
Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
1981 Excella II

Charlie - We have our trailer photos posted in our photo album under Wade&Pam. I think you will enjoy seeing them and comparing them with yours. Wade.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Charlie - We have our trailer photos posted in our photo album under Wade&Pam. I think you will enjoy seeing them and comparing them with yours. Wade.
Wade:

Very nice pictures, the 53 as well, I enjoyed looking through them. Your 81 is really close in size to mine, if that's a 24 then I think mine must be the 25'. The layout is identical in the back half, but in the front I have just 1 large couch against the front windows, and a hide away table that we never use. I've never really looked at the photo album section. I'll check it out later to see what other models are posted there. The skin on your 81 looks to be the same as mine. Since you have the older unit to compare it to, have you tried polishing with a cyclo?
I'm wondering what to expect when I try this. Do you think the brushed finish on your 81 is closer in appearance to your 53, or to the newer finish put out today?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
1981 Excella II

Hi Charlie - The aluminum on the newer trailers is a brushed aluminum and is different from the older trailers. I have just started polishing the 53 cruiser and I am experimenting with all the different techniques discussed on the forums. I am currently using nuvite polish with a sampler of four quarter pound jars of their different polish grades. I am also trying some polishing compounds from jestco. The 81 trailer has clearcoat over the aluminum and will require several different approaches for polishing. You will first have to remove the clearcoat before you polish. Search polishing and there should lots of information to read. Wade
Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Hi Charlie - The aluminum on the newer trailers is a brushed aluminum and is different from the older trailers. I have just started polishing the 53 cruiser and I am experimenting with all the different techniques discussed on the forums. I am currently using nuvite polish with a sampler of four quarter pound jars of their different polish grades. I am also trying some polishing compounds from jestco. The 81 trailer has clearcoat over the aluminum and will require several different approaches for polishing. You will first have to remove the clearcoat before you polish. Search polishing and there should lots of information to read. Wade
I went through a lot of that last year, I put 150 hours or so into it along with my 2 sons helping. The clearcoat came off with just the high speed buffer, and compound. We also stripped off the old cracked blue stripe, and had it painted. I was able to get a decent effect with the applications I did, but I didn't have a cyclo polisher. I have the cylco coming this Friday, and plan to go over it again then seal it with liquid gold, and wax over that. I'm just curious as to the different skins, and what effect that can be obtained. I was told that 81 was the first year for the brushed finish, but the finish I have is different then that of a trailer produced today. At least as far as I can tell.
You might want to compare mothers aluminum, and mag cleaner to the results you get with the Nuvite, and Jestco. Walmart in my area carries this for about $4.00 per jar, and I'm very impressed with the results. I picked up the idea from a forum member who did his entire trailer with this, and it looks as good as the pics of the ones done with Nuvite.
Charlie
Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
hi, We also have a 1981 excella 11 27ft. I gave you some information yesterday on the lenght from the broucher I have. I'm glad to see a few more of us 81's. We are in Seaside, Or and since you will be out our way we should have a mini rally of 81's as you are passing though Oregon this summer. Teresa & Glenn in the blue pearl
Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl
hi, We also have a 1981 excella 11 27ft. I gave you some information yesterday on the lenght from the broucher I have. I'm glad to see a few more of us 81's. We are in Seaside, Or and since you will be out our way we should have a mini rally of 81's as you are passing though Oregon this summer. Teresa & Glenn in the blue pearl
27' sounds like a great size. We bought ours as a 25', but it seems a little smaller then the 25' 70's international that I went in. I think 2 more feet would have been about the maximum size we could use. Do you have any pictures posted?
As far as the mini rally, I really like the idea, but we're reserved for most of our vacation. This will be the longest trip we've taken her on so far, and the longest vacation I've ever taken. We'll be starting on Friday July 6th. and are looking for a campground in either Western Idaho, or Oregon for that night. Then we're reserved in Camp Cushman outside of Olympic National Park starting on the 7th., followed by Dalles campground just outside of Ranier on the 11th., then on to Jedediah Smith campground in Redwoods National park on the 15th. The campgrounds we're reserved in would probably be too out of your way, but if that time frame, and area work we would love to get together. We seldom run into another airstreamer in a campground, and getting the 81's together would be awesome.
Charlie
Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Charlie, It sound like a fun trip. Can you give me more information on the campground you are staying at in Dalles, maybe we could see you there. I don't have any pictures except the ones we took when we first got her and everything is a mess. I'm going to take some pictures this week because we are starting the kitchen redo and want some before and afters Teresa
Old 04-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Vin #

Charlie,
If you are still wondering about your length, just get the Vin# it will be in the vin.
Abe

Hensley Hitch
Air #2798
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote