Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
http://http://www.roadcamping.com/rv...mpgrounds.html
I'll try entering a link for Dalles.
The campground is located 2 miles from Mt. Ranier national park.We've never been to Oregon, Washington, or Northern California, so we selected the campgrounds for their ratings, and Dalles sounds really nice. I'm not sure what part of Oregon you're in, but we'll be coming through I-84 on the July 6th. It's probably a long shot if that's near you.
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl
Charlie, It sound like a fun trip. Can you give me more information on the campground you are staying at in Dalles, maybe we could see you there. I don't have any pictures except the ones we took when we first got her and everything is a mess. I'm going to take some pictures this week because we are starting the kitchen redo and want some before and afters Teresa

Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Charlie, Are you going to spend a night in Oregon? And are you going down 1-5 or travel down the coast(101). There are some nice state campgrounds both on the coast and along 1-5. Oregon has one of the best state campground systems. Teresa

Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We plan on spending the night in Oregon, but would be looking for something off I-84. I think we'll be on the interstate system until we hit the 101 in Washington. It's a 12 hour drive to Oregon, and our plan is to make Camp Cushman just outside of Olympic on the second day.
I was thinking that Baker City would be a good destination for the first night. If you know of any campgrounds that you might recommend, we're still looking.
Charlie
Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
If I could ask a question of the Wade, Pam, and Teresa.
I've always thought my trailer seemed more narrow then other airstreams of the same length. This would not be as compared to the newer wide body design that started in the 90's, but rather as compared to other airstreams built from the 70's, and in the later 80's. I first noticed this when we were on a trip to Yellowstone last year and ran into a couple with a 25' international from the early 70's. They had stripped everything out of their trailer, and customized it, so the comparison was off but it seemed much wider then mine. They seemed to think so as well. I have a friend with a 69 27" model who has been in our trailer and thinks hers seems wider. This last week I ordered a rock guard for it, but the one airstream sent was too long. The dealer told me that all models made from 69 through the mid 80's were the same width, but had no answer as to why the windows were different.
What do you think?
Charlie
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I picked up my airstream today, and was able to compare it to a 23' international that was next to it. While the window styles were the same the width of the international windows was 7.5 inches more from the corner of each wing window. We were still able to use the same rock guard however.
I then measured the width of each trailer. The international was 8' wide, and my excella 2 was an even 7' wide. I guess Airstream did make a skinny body style in 1981. I have no idea, but that may be the difference between the excella, and the excella 2. That would also explain why the weight of the 1981 25' trailer is listed as so much less then the same size trailer of most other years. We're happy with our little trailer though, and just about have it the way we want it.
Charlie
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #20
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Charlie, How is your trip planning to the west coast coming along? Are you going to take 101 down the coast from Washington thur Oregon to the redwoods? Great views and campgrounds. Teresa
Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl
Charlie, How is your trip planning to the west coast coming along? Are you going to take 101 down the coast from Washington thur Oregon to the redwoods? Great views and campgrounds. Teresa
My wife has done most of the planning on it, but I think that's the route we'll be taking. We'll be coming through 84 into Oregon the first night, then onto 101, and Washington. We've always wanted to look at the area. Everyone I've spoken with who've taken the route on 101 have loved it. I've just started using the cylo to polish this week, and have about 25% done as of now. It really makes a big difference, I'll post some pics later in May when we finish. I'm not sure how far we'll be from you, but it's always nice to have another airstream around.
Charlie
Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
In case anyone is interested I just finished polishing on the airstream, and posted some pics of both inside, and out on a members photo page at
http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...mageuser=15121

The polishing was done with a cylo using the yellow, blue, and white pads. The only polish I used was Mothers aluminum polish. I then followed that with a coating of liquid glass, and plan on adding another coat this week. Prior to this I did a high speed strip last year, and had the blue stripe painted. I may decide to add the smaller blue decal over it if I find one.
We made a few changes to the interior during the winter. The biggest one being that we changed the carpet. I tried to match the blue on the inside trim. We just couldn't see staying with the 80's gold carpet.
Charlie