Old 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
'81 Excella II info

I noticed the excella 2 forum, and thought I would request an 81 sub forum. I'm new to owning an airstream, having been an over for about 1 year now. When I purchased my airstream I did enough homework to know that first I wanted an airstream, then what size, condition, and price range I was looking for. We looked for almost a year but still didn't know everything we could have before buying. Some of the things I'm trying to find out now are the differences in model years, design, and skin finish. We ended up buying a 1981 excella2 which was sold to us as a 25' model. I'm still not 100% sure of the model, but it measures 24'8" from bumper to hitch ball. I'm taking her down to Windish RV in denver on April 12th. to have a rock guard installed, and plan to get more details there. So far we've done some interior work on the cabinets, and curtains as well as replaced the carpet. We're to the point were the interior is about what we want. I spent a lot more time then I'd want to admit on the exterior last year, and said that I just wanted to clean it up, but I ended up removing the blue stripe, and giving her a high speed, and orbital buff followed by liquid gold, and wax. It still has a way to go, so I've ordered a cyclo polisher to finish the job this spring. I'm hoping I can get it to the point where I only have to wax it once each year.
There seems to be a lot more information on the web about the older airstreams then there is on the early 80's models. So far I've found very little on the web. The excella models seemed to be at the higher end of what was produced at that time, and from what I've been able to find out I don't see any differences between the excella, and excella 2 models. My model is a rear bath model, but doesn't have any issue with rear end sag. I noticed it has the larger 5-6 inch I frame instead of the 3-4 inch frame that was used in the 70's which should be a plus for this issue. I was told that there was a design change between 80 to 81, but I don't see the difference from the pics I've seen. The skin on my 81 has a brushed finish, and I don't think I'll ever get the mirror shine that the older models get, but it has a great deal more reflection to the finish then the models made today. I don't know how many finishes that airstream has made, nor what years they were implemented. I'll find out just how nice my finish will polish in a few weeks.
Any information that anyone has on the excella 2, or on the 80's models in general would be of great interest to me. Remember some of us are in the vintage group now. I'll follow this with a couple of pics.
In time I hope to see some post on here.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Hi Charlie,
I wondered if the Excella II of '81 had the taller frame or not. It sounds like you have a nice unit. I missed out on an '81 25' mid twin, rear bath on ebay a number of years ago but ended up buying my '86 Sovereign rear corner bed, side bath and have been pleased with it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
welcome to the club

We also have a 81 excella 11 27' twin bed model. I have an orginal floor plan broucher with all the 81's on it. They have a 25' front kitchen, and 2 24' models. One with 2 twins, dinette and rear bath, the other with a double bed/lounge. Ours has only a 75" ceiling which makes it a little low but we love it. We call her the blue pearl because with her awning out she looks like she is ready to sail.kind of. We are also working on the interior with a new kitchen. I like the idea of a sub-forum for us young vintage trailers, keep me posted, there has to be more of us out there. Teresa
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
It sounds like you both have nice trailers. Dave; it looks like the 86 25' is a little larger, and you have the bigger front corner windows then the 25' of 1981.
Since you bring up the ceiling height Teresa, I've often thought by 81 seemed smaller then a different 25' unit I've been in. I does seem to have less head space. I was told by a dealer that the size of the units have varied through the years with some being a few inches shorter then the size given, and some a few inches longer. If I have the 25' size which I now think I do, it's one of the smaller 25' designs, and measures a few inches less then 25'.
I was looking through my owners manual which isn't unit specific, and it list the models for that year. The excella 2 came in a 22' which has the layout of the model listed in the 81 pics thread, a 25' with 3 different floor plans (I have the rear bath, twin beds plan), then a 28' with 3 different floor plans, 4 different 31's plans, and a 27' rear bath twin beds. The 24' units seem to have came only as Caravelle, Minuet, or Argosy models.
Charlie
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Just found this thread, good to see there are others who are interested in the "newer" antiques.
I picked up my 27 in April and have been tinkering with it off and on. I just started the polishing and let me say this is a bit more of a project than I had hoped. You can get the mirror finish, so far I have done a first pass below the belt line.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a 81 22' Excella II. Mine is considered a small bodied trailer of the time. Actually it is sort of a Argosy Minuet in non-painted aluminum. The Airstream version seems to have more side windows but has the smaller front window. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. (I like the front booth dinette in my trailer) Trailers longer than the 22' are considered large bodied trailers of their day.(about 10" wider IIRC) I have the same exterior finish you have and I will also have to do something about the ugly old strip on the side sometime in the future. The frame on my trailer is only 3".

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0757.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	43362
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0768.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	43363
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
It's nice to see a couple of new post on this thread, and a 2 more excella 2 owners. I'll fill in the gap a little since I last posted on this thread. I took mine to our local dealer in the spring, and found that I do have a 25' model. The reason my airstream seemed a littler smaller to me is that it's only a 7' wide unit. I spoke with one other 81 excella 2 owner who said that their unit is 8 ' wide. I found this out while having a new window rock guard installed. I spoke with another dealer who said he had never seen the 7' wide body on the excella line. Could each of you tell me if you're model is 7', or 8 ' wide? Thanks for posting the pictures Crispyboy. If either of you have any more pics it would be nice to see them. I have a few pics of mine on the following link. http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...mageuser=15121. As you can see I've polished mine now, and changed the carpeting. I did find that the finish can get to a mirror shine, but I'm not sure if you can get it to the point of the earlier models. The skin seems to have gone through more then one change in the finish. Our 81's have the brushed finish, but not to the point that the newer units have.

Charlie
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
My 27 is 8' wide and if I remember right it's just short of 27'. If you look up the s/n they give a length range for the various modles. I don't recall seeing anything narrower than 8' in the s/n breakdown so that's news to me.

Pacerized, Great job on the pollishing, it looks fantastic. I can't wait to get mine done. I've about got the first pass done, just the top is all that's left.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Ifihadtime, Great to see we have a twin, and so close. You will have to take in some forum rallies so our trailers can meet. As a newer antique we are like a middle child and even tho we are talented( larger holding tanks, auto water heater ect) we are not old and respected or new and high tech just a great trailer for the few that have us.

Vintage Airstream Club Membership Chair
We're not old, We're Vintage!

wbcci#8209
Air Forum#17236

Check out www.oregonunit.wbcci.net/ and on facebook Airstream Living Oregon unit 090
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Teresa, Howdy neighbor! We will definately have to get our "kids" together. We are planning to go to the rally at Demming in August. We'll see what other rallies get planned. This will be our first full year with McTwinkie so we hope to get out at least a few times.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Ron, Do you want to try a winter rally. Check out the Newport Oregon rally in febuary. Just bring raingear . Then you will be able to check for leaks.

Vintage Airstream Club Membership Chair
We're not old, We're Vintage!

wbcci#8209
Air Forum#17236

Check out www.oregonunit.wbcci.net/ and on facebook Airstream Living Oregon unit 090
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Terisa, I saw that one but I'm not so sure the ocean in Feb sounds that appealing. Besides I'm still in the process of fixing a repair made by a PO, that leaked. Seems who ever repaired it didn't bother to seat the rivits right and must have figured the rivit holes under the beltline trim were optional Anyway all is good now I just need to finish it up and yes leak test it.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Hi Folks, Have been on the forums since last June and just discovered this thread. We call our 31' 1981 Excella II 'Ole81'...not just because it IS an '81, but when my brother bought it new, he joined WBCCI and was arbitrarily given the number 8181, so she sports big red 8181s in front and back.

This is a rear bath model with a sofabed in front and twin bunk beds in the center. Apparently it was special ordered from the factory with the bunks.
My brother rarely used it because he had bought a 1-ton dually to tow it. The dually rode so rough that my sister-in-law would only go 25 miles to the State Park in PA...so it just sat in the warehouse.
I acquired it about 5 years ago and other than a 10 day trip to Big Bend, have just started using it on a more regular basis.

Gail and I will be taking it to the 2nd Annual Texas Vintage Rally next Wednesday.

I guess the biggest addition/modification to it is the 25' HAM radio antenna that is mounted on the back and hinged so that the bulk of the antenna lays on top of the ZipDEE awning.

Info at http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...e81-21963.html
a few photos at http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...&searchid=5520

Bunk beds can be hazzardous if you wake in the night, so we solved that problem. Bouoght 3 1/2" square aluminum channel about 3' long, cut a piece of plywood to fit between the lower beds..position the alum channel across the hall, the plywood is stored under one mattress....slide the plywood onto the alum channel...slide one mattress onto the plywood and

VOILA! you now have a pseudo regular size bed.

Will try to post some more pics onto the site....

Keep Smiling...

Bob and Gail

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Nice to see some new life to the 81 thread.
I couldn't get the link to open for your pictures Bob and Gail. If you have another link I'd love to see your Ole81, your's as well Ifihadtime. It looks like we're up to 5 1981 Excella 2 owners now. I had a dealer tell me that Airstream only made about 700 units in 1981. I can't verify how accurate that is, but with all the different models offered that couldn't leave room for too many excella 2's sold. Then when you consider how many may not be on the road any longer after 27 years I'd be interested in knowing how many are left.
I'm buried in snow up on the mountain right now, but I've just set an appointment for new curtains and to change our counter top in April. I think that's all we're going to do to it this year, a little less work and a little more camping. We're off to Moab in early May for our first outing.
Charlie.