Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella II > 1981 Excella II
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2016, 10:55 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzgerald View Post
I'm a new "81 Excella II" owner and am in the same boat you were in then. Should you have any wisdom to impart, please do.
I've taken it on a few short trips with my family and currently I'm having electrical issues - No DC power. Only AC is working right now.
One thing I've learned through the years in owning the Airstream and a vintage car or 2 in my life, it seems like you're always finding something to work on.
DC power is fairly simple. If you don't have a multi meter I'd buy one, you'll need it through the years. Check your battery to make sure it's good and fully charged, you should get at least 12.7 volts on a fully charged battery at rest, higher if you charger is plugged in. Then test the DC fuse box on each side. If you're not getting DC power anywhere and the battery is good I'd bet on the fuse box as a culprit or hopefully just a fuse or 2. If you're getting no reading at the fuse box on either side I'd check the heavy wire where it comes from the battery into the fuse box to make sure you have a good connection.
Are you not getting any lights anywhere in the Airstream? Does the furnace fan work or power jack?
One of the early things I did with mine was to upgrade to 3 batteries and replace the charger and dc fuse box. It really didn't take very long to do.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:22 AM   #82

1981 31' Excella II
Honor , Michigan
Thank you. Have multi-meter and will get started.
Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #83

1981 31' Excella II
Nesbit , Mississippi
Since you posted in 2016, I'm hoping by now you might have an answer for my question about my 1981 Excella II 31' rear bath with twin beds. I have only owned it about a month and have been trying to prepare it for travel. I can't find the fuse box. I have 2 batteries on the front with outside access. There are no fuses in the battery boxes. Could you tell me anywhere else to look. Also the furnace is missing. Will I be able to find an original furnace to replace it or is there a furnace to retrofit available?
wmsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Our unit has a sofa on the front left and a shelf across the front.
the front middle is a table that opens out and hidden behind the table is the fuse panel.
The main electrical box with circuit breakers is in the very rear in the cabinet with the sliding door. I'll try to get some pics in the next day or two.

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
location of fuses in Excella II

Here are the pics of the location of fuses and circuit breakers in our 1981 Excella II
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130656.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	285189   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130659.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	285190  

31' 1981 Excella II

or
'
Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Ojai , California
Hi-

I just bought an 81- Excella 31 and cannot find the drain valve for the shower. Shower backs up right away. Can you advise valve location?
thnx
Lee
Lee Prather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Don't believe there is one -- the shower drain should run directly into your grey tank. Any chance it is full?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Burlington , Ontario
What do you want to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
I noticed the excella 2 forum, and thought I would request an 81 sub forum. I'm new to owning an airstream, having been an over for about 1 year now. When I purchased my airstream I did enough homework to know that first I wanted an airstream, then what size, condition, and price range I was looking for. We looked for almost a year but still didn't know everything we could have before buying. Some of the things I'm trying to find out now are the differences in model years, design, and skin finish. We ended up buying a 1981 excella2 which was sold to us as a 25' model. I'm still not 100% sure of the model, but it measures 24'8" from bumper to hitch ball. I'm taking her down to Windish RV in denver on April 12th. to have a rock guard installed, and plan to get more details there. So far we've done some interior work on the cabinets, and curtains as well as replaced the carpet. We're to the point were the interior is about what we want. I spent a lot more time then I'd want to admit on the exterior last year, and said that I just wanted to clean it up, but I ended up removing the blue stripe, and giving her a high speed, and orbital buff followed by liquid gold, and wax. It still has a way to go, so I've ordered a cyclo polisher to finish the job this spring. I'm hoping I can get it to the point where I only have to wax it once each year.
There seems to be a lot more information on the web about the older airstreams then there is on the early 80's models. So far I've found very little on the web. The excella models seemed to be at the higher end of what was produced at that time, and from what I've been able to find out I don't see any differences between the excella, and excella 2 models. My model is a rear bath model, but doesn't have any issue with rear end sag. I noticed it has the larger 5-6 inch I frame instead of the 3-4 inch frame that was used in the 70's which should be a plus for this issue. I was told that there was a design change between 80 to 81, but I don't see the difference from the pics I've seen. The skin on my 81 has a brushed finish, and I don't think I'll ever get the mirror shine that the older models get, but it has a great deal more reflection to the finish then the models made today. I don't know how many finishes that airstream has made, nor what years they were implemented. I'll find out just how nice my finish will polish in a few weeks.
Any information that anyone has on the excella 2, or on the 80's models in general would be of great interest to me. Remember some of us are in the vintage group now. I'll follow this with a couple of pics.
In time I hope to see some post on here.

Hi.
I own a 1981 Airstream Excella II 25FrontKitchen. Here's some good news for you: They only made 7 of these little gems. The Excella II models were introduced because engine output at that time was terrible. The Excella II's are narrower by around 10 inches. This was done in order to reduce drag because, as I said, power was lacking. Interestingly, the Excella II models are really sought after in Europe (smaller vehicles, smaller roads).

Today there are only 6 of the Excella II 25FK left in the world.

The width, as stated in the manual, is 24'10'. The manual I have is actually for 1980 because the models and floorplans are the same for 1981; except for our 25FK. So, I don't think there is a manual just for 1981.

If there is any information you need. I'd be glad to help.

I've had mine for only 4 years but I've been studying Airstream since I was 12. I'm 58 now. There are things in our trailer that aren't seen in any other AS. I feel the responsibility. I plan to keep it in the family. It's also an investment. Two years after I bought mine, I was offered double what I paid.

Again, any info. you need.
Cheers, Paul
director14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Well, our 1981 31' Excella II is 95.5" wide.
It has been in the family since new and never parked outside except when travelling.
The finish is PERFECT with absolutely NO deterioration of the coating.
I can't remember is I ever mentioned that it was a custom order with bunk beds on each side of the aisle....which was fine when the kids were growing up, but now we wish we had a configuration with a queen bed.

Can I assume that you received the manuals with the unit?
Yes, our manuals are 1980 and the only difference I have detected is that the electrical plug to the tow vehicle is different.

31' 1981 Excella II

or
'
Old 11-09-2022, 01:31 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Burlington , Ontario
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole81 View Post
Well, our 1981 31' Excella II is 95.5" wide.
It has been in the family since new and never parked outside except when travelling.
The finish is PERFECT with absolutely NO deterioration of the coating.
I can't remember is I ever mentioned that it was a custom order with bunk beds on each side of the aisle....which was fine when the kids were growing up, but now we wish we had a configuration with a queen bed.

Can I assume that you received the manuals with the unit?
Yes, our manuals are 1980 and the only difference I have detected is that the electrical plug to the tow vehicle is different.
Sorry, I meant length is 24' 10". It's width is 87 1/2". Does your manual have the 1981 Supplement; with handwritten info. on the '81 AS Excella II 25FK?
I agree about the double bed.
Cheers, Paul
director14 is offline   Reply With Quote