Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Thanks, Pacerized....but I have never needed to 'winterize' since we are outside Houston and the AS is always kept inside so the temp really never gets down to a threatening stage....
I do not have a drain valve on my main water tank...just a plug...one of these days I will replace it with a valve.

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Hendersonville , Tennessee
Hello everyone, I'm a new member of the aristream club and a proud owner of an 81 31' excella II. I'm getting ready to "fix r up" and have some pretty big plans. Well there more of dreams than probabilities the more I look into the logistics of a "full monte." Before I ramble on is there anyone still monitoring this thread? Hope to talk to some fellow 81 excella II enthusiasts

Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Welcome to the 81 club. You'll find a lot of great info on the forum. Sometimes people will post step by step pictures of a project. I've saved a lot of time in working on my furnace, hot water heater, battery system upgrade, changing out a toilet, and polishing by looking the subject up on here. Post some pictures of your airstream when you get a chance and let us know if you have any questions.
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj81excella
Hello everyone, I'm a new member of the aristream club and a proud owner of an 81 31' excella II. I'm getting ready to "fix r up" and have some pretty big plans. Well there more of dreams than probabilities the more I look into the logistics of a "full monte." Before I ramble on is there anyone still monitoring this thread? Hope to talk to some fellow 81 excella II enthusiasts
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
mj81excella; good to see another 81 member. I'm more or less in the same boat, doing a full monte. I've been working on the exterior so far but can't wait to start on the inside, maybe this summer. Enjoy the forum, as Pacerized said there is info on most anything you can think of.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Hi , I am looking at the purchase of a 1981 Excella II. My question is, $7500 a good price from a dealer?. What do I need to look for, is this unit also possibly in need of new axles as earlier units? Any other things I need to check for? Is the dry weight of 4260 lbs accurate? I want to tow with a F150 with 7200 lb max rating ok?
Thanks for the help
Roger
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Roger,
the price could be ok or high depending on the good and bad.
Are there any leaks? Is the floor rotted thru anywhere? - Check around where the vent stack comes through the roof and the floor below. I also had leaks around the battery box. Floor replacement can be done but it is not an easy task.
Can the dealer verify that the appliances work? Refridgerators and A/C units are not cheap. Axles are $400 to $800 plus labor depending on which one you purchase. The price could go higher if you opt to install disk brakes like many people do.
What size trailer are you looking at?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
It's good to hear from everyone. I have some pics in the members photos, use my user name to serach. I'm still learning how to post pics and set up links. We just finnished cleaning all the junk out. It was used as a storage unit for about 15 yrs. I am actually quite suprised at how good of shape she is in. I'm thinking of changing gears a bit and not start off with the "full monte" just yet. I think she could be up an running with a few basic repairs. The a/c is out, the door latch is busted, the curtins, carpet, and couch need replaced but all in all she is pretty solid. I still need to inspect the brakes and axles and have the propane tanks refitted. There are some late nights ahead of me but I think this is going to be a great experiance. I will keep everyone up to date and look foward to reading the forums
Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
It is a 27 foot Excella II. Anyone know the size of the holding tanks??
Roger
Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Roger;
The holding tanks are listed at 16 for the black water, 20 for the grey and 50 for water. The weight is 4500, the 4230 is for an international. that is the basic weight and does not include "extras" the gross weight is 6200. I tow mine with a older chevy with the same capacity as yours and it seem to do OK. Not much extra power, I'm towing it over the hill (4200 ft) this weekend for the first time so I'll be able to give you a better idea after that.
Not sure on the value, it would depend on condition and at that price it should be in very good condition. I have seen two in the last year, both private party and they were less $$, of course I bought one of them

PM me if you want more info, I have part of an owners manual for specs etc.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Ok, thanks for the info.
I purchased the 81 Excella II 27' Today. Here is what the condition is. Axles look good, have angles as shown on this website. Water heater new 2005. Kitchen sink has new faucet, and separate spigot with filtered water. The A/C, heater, Refrig, water pump all work. I probed everywhere I could reach wood floor, around tub, sink, kitchen, etc and cannot find any wood rot. All windows work, glass good, door and glass good, body good a few scratches, and one area repaired, aft of the entry door. The blue stripe looks like cr**p, wrinked and faded. Tires, 2 are 4 years old, 2 are 8 years old. can not see brakes/wheel bearings. A/C cover has been made from galvanized metal, looks like cr@@p. 2 12 volt batteries, conditon unknown.
The deal includes a weight dist. hitch, sway bar, new A/C cover, hooked up to tow vehicle, hitch adjusted. $7000.
My immediate plans are to pull wheels, repair brakes/bearings as needed. Fix ugly blue stripe(any suggestions) then clean up interior, replace carpet, paint ugly walls, then tires, and "on the road again". Still need a tv, have time to look around
Soooo, I,m in, let the fun begin.
Roger
Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
P.S.
An owners manual included.
Roger
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
O.K. I have a question for all you excellers. I'm trying to remove the a/c ceiling shroud and there is a "bar" at one end preventing the shroud from droping down. I've done everything other than cutting it in half. Has anyone come across this problem. there is a pic in the members photos.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
I will be picking up my trailer tomorrow, if no one else chimes in, I will let you know what my a/c looks like,\.
Roger
Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj81excella
O.K. I have a question for all you excellers. I'm trying to remove the a/c ceiling shroud and there is a "bar" at one end preventing the shroud from droping down. I've done everything other than cutting it in half. Has anyone come across this problem. there is a pic in the members photos.

I tried the members photos under your screen name, but the site showed no photos listed. I haven't replaced an ac unit yet, but I have taken off the shroud to clean the filters. My unit doesn't have a bar holding the shroud on though, I'm just able to remove the screws and drop the interior shroud. Have you tried running a search under the AC sub-forum?

Charlie