Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #21
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The strength of a 1/2" SAE grade 5 bolt in shear is at least 10000 lbs. There are six of them holding each wheel on. So long as the wheel and lug nuts are compatible, there is nothing wrong with either hub or lug centric setups

Note that the side loads due to cornering actually place more strain on the
lugs than the vertical weight of the trailer, since the latter is shared among all the lugs while during cornering the top or bottom lugs handle much more of the load.

Anyone using a spin balancer needs to understand which type they're dealing with so that the wheel gets balanced about the same center as it will have on the vehicle.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That being the case, maybe the MG is a very good case in point. Four lugs per wheel -- and i drive, ah, well, double the recommended speed or higher through the many curves in the mountains between here and Taos.
(:
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Note that the side loads due to cornering actually place more strain on the
lugs than the vertical weight of the trailer, since the latter is shared among all the lugs while during cornering the top or bottom lugs handle much more of the load.

- Bart
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Lucas was also known as the "Prince of Darkness"... Using the positive as ground was certainly an interesting experiment over the years.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
To tell the truth, I don't see a whole lot of difference between vintage MG maintenance and vintage Airstream maintenance. They're simple machines with simple designs that can be fixed at home. Things break, and those things can be replaced or repaired at home. Parts are readily available in both cases, including lug nuts!! Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. (Wish I could say the same for our car and truck! The Honda, for instance, has a dead computer for airbags, remotes, etc. No replacement available. The only maintenance I do at home on either of them any more is oil changes. Duh.)

Oh, and that positive ground experiment? An easy conversion that many owners do themselves. For the last 12 years of production, MGs were all negative ground anyway.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Lucas was also known as the "Prince of Darkness"... Using the positive as ground was certainly an interesting experiment over the years.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Some of the things done in the RV industry are done because that's the way they have always been done. Other times it's just the industry builds in lower volume and there isn't much consumer demand for running gear upgrades.

Airstream builds a high end product. However that product takes axles and wheels from outside vendors. (Not like the OEM automotive industry that builds they own axles and wheels) Since the RV axle vendor makes axles for travel trailers, horse trailers, hay wagons, farm equipment the usage is extremely diverse. And a farmer doesn't care much if the axle can sustain highway speeds so many times it comes down to cost.

And the RV buyer just wants to go camping. They don't care that much for the ride, heck they are even in the ride! So building a least expensive part that does the job and has low warranty claims is the goal.

Heck disc brakes (on all 4 wheels now) as mentioned above has been an automotive industry standard on nearly all vehicles in the US for decades. And the US was slow to adopt disc brakes. RVs have disc brakes as an exception. The RV industry is very slow to adopt to new technology mostly because of demand (or lack there of) and economics. Since I don't work for Airstream, it is my opinion as to why this is done ....... to answer your question.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-03-2016, 03:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some RV manufacturers are making disc brakes an option and one can even get the Tuson ABS disc brake system for a trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

It has been stated that positive ground is superior against corrosion, and there was a time when many makes were positive ground, but GM being the major player in America and elsewhere was dedicated to negative ground...

I cant say if the positive ground is actually better against corrosion, but it has been said....

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
The Honda, for instance, has a dead computer for airbags, remotes, etc. No replacement available. The only maintenance I do at home on either of them any more is oil changes. Duh.)

In twenty years there will be very very few thirty year old vehicles. The lifespan of modern vehicles will coincide with the lifespan of the wire insulation (which is not what it used to be) and availability of assorted electronic components.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
In twenty years there will be very very few thirty year old vehicles. The lifespan of modern vehicles will coincide with the lifespan of the wire insulation (which is not what it used to be) and availability of assorted electronic components.

Superat stultitia.
Do you have some evidence/studies for this?

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Of course not, Bart. It's clearly an opinion. So, now you're just trolling. 😉

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why does Airstream do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Do you have some evidence/studies for this?

- Bart

I have observational skills.

After about 20 years the modern wiring insulation crumbles off of the wires especially in high heat areas.

The insulation that is used now is very durable in the short term, but under performs in the long term.

Once the wiring becomes generally bad, the cost of repair, and the difficulty in repair will be prohibitive.

Add to this that components used all over vehicles, (window switches, actuators, dash controls, etc) often utilize microprocessors, they will not be economical for the aftermarket to support.

While it is true that modern vehicles are in many ways superior, I do not think that this will translate into the years of viability that we have become accustomed to.

Even today, new vehicles that incur electronic gremlins can be difficult to resolve, this will get even worse as vehicles age.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #32
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Interesting opinion.

I have a '96 Lincoln Mark VIII that will be voting in November. No issues with wiring or the insulation of same. While there have been some electronic component failures of some sensors and actuators none of the wire insulation that makes the connections has been a concern.

And the environment that my Mark operates in couldn't be much hotter.

Just my opinion, I own 9 vehicles with 4 of them made before 1972. The older vehicles are very simple to make repairs however the construction is far inferior to vehicles made in the last 20 years. Inferior in material, design and assembly. Maintenance is so much easier on the newer vehicles. Not that there are no issues because everything built has issues. For the most part the issues have a swifter and easier fix. (However usually more expensive)

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why does Airstream do this?

The insulation will begin to crumble near the plugs and connectors first and then progresses.

Get back with me in ten years.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The insulation will begin to crumble near the plugs and connectors first and then progresses.

Get back with me in ten years.

Superat stultitia.
I had a 93 Mercedes 300e that had the main wiring harness replaced before I bought it in 2000. By the time I got rid of it in 2009 or 2010, the ancillary harnesses were falling apart. This because MB decided to go with a "green" insulation material and process.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Even if it turns out that wiring itself is not an issue, there will be a lot of components that will be replaceable "salvage only", which itself is going to be problematic.

Superat stultitia.