Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I generally repack every year but have at times let it go two years - so far, every time, all has looked fine.

I have to admit that sometimes I cheat a little - i.e. I do not remove the back seal and visually inspect the inner race. But I do rotate it with my fingers to ensure motion is smooth.

I also add a little grease by finger to the back race when I do this. So far it has not gotten me into trouble!

Of course to fully inspect the inner race you need to pop out the rear grease seal - and when you do that, the normal recommendation is to fit a new seal.

Pulling the hubs yearly or every two years is also a great opportunity to check the trailer brakes for wear, broken/missing springs, broken wires etc.

I certainly second what was said earlier about checking a used trailer S.A.P. after purchase!

Quite a few years ago I bought a used "Award" trailer from a supposedly reputable RV dealer about 200 miles from my home. After agreeing to buy it, I was told that there was an obligatory "dealer prep" charge of $200!

I asked if that included repacking the bearings and I was told it did, so I was not unhappy to pay the fee.

I used the trailer without incident for a year, including one trip of several thousand miles, then decided I'd better do a repack.

Thank goodness I did! When I pulled the hubs, I found that on every wheel, the grease was hard and caked and the rollers were just starting to spall and break up. I doubt very much that I would have made another long trip without a failure en route.

My suspicion is that the trailer - then maybe 7 years old - had never had the bearings looked at in its life!

I wrote a reasonably polite letter to the RV dealer including pictures of the distressed bearing races and never got as much as an apology! I have absolutely no doubt that they had done nothing to the bearings when I bought it - and I paid the $200 charge!

Lesson learned!

Brian.

PS Incidentally, when I bought my AS used - from an AS dealer, I (probably foolishly in light of my earlier experience!) asked them specifically to do a repack for me. They did so.

When I got the invoice I noticed there was no charge for new seals. When i asked about it, I was told that the seals looked fine so they re-used them. Hmmmmmm!

If I buy another used trailer, I will do it myself for sure!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brakes

Brakes can now be eliminated from the adjusting.

SELF ADJUSTING BRAKES have now been available for about 2 years.

Every time you back up, they adjust.

That keeps them at top efficiency.

Yes, they cost a little more, but so does peace of mind.

Andy

Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Andy, when new brakes are installed (as in my all new axles, hubs, wheels & tires), is there some reason why I had to drastically advance the power on my Prodigy controller? Is this because there is some kind of break-in period to allow the shoes to conform to the drums?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Andy, when new brakes are installed (as in my all new axles, hubs, wheels & tires), is there some reason why I had to drastically advance the power on my Prodigy controller? Is this because there is some kind of break-in period to allow the shoes to conform to the drums?
Unfortunately, yes, there is a break-in period.

But, it should not take very many miles.

You can help, by applying the brakes periodically as you travel.

Andy