Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st micheals , worcestershire
wheely wheely sad incident

hi hope someone can help ... just imported a 1965 overlander to the uk but it arrived on only 3 wheels i was horrified to see the wheel bolts had sheared of sending the wheel to road side heaven .. so im in need of help and advice
1. can i get replacement nuts and bolts
2. do i have to get the brake drum face / case as im not sure how to get the old sheared bolts out from behind the disk brake wheel pad
3. does anybody know if theres a uk supplier
4. i have to replace the wheel to can somebody tell me the dimentions im looking for

thanks fro youre help
steve
puppybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Are you sure its a disk brake? An original 65 would have had drum brakes.

We use Dexter Axle drum brakes parts now. See:
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/parts...-05_72_res.pdf

You can buy new drums ( if yours are drum brakes) or buy new wheel studs and press them into the drum after pressing the broken parts out.

We would need to see a pix of the wheel to be sure. But Dexstar has a OEM style replacement wheel if it still has the original wheel.
See:

Dexstar Wheel Company Trailer Rims and Wheels
I use the following wheel:
Part # 017-118-2515x6JJ 6-5.50 3.650 2600@75psi

I think Low Cost Trailer Supply has these parts but don't know if they ship overseas. Shipping a drum (heavy) would be expensive.

TRAILER PARTS - Low Cost Trailer Supplies
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppybear
hi hope someone can help ... just imported a 1965 overlander to the uk but it arrived on only 3 wheels i was horrified to see the wheel bolts had sheared of sending the wheel to road side heaven .. so im in need of help and advice
1. can i get replacement nuts and bolts
2. do i have to get the brake drum face / case as im not sure how to get the old sheared bolts out from behind the disk brake wheel pad
3. does anybody know if theres a uk supplier
4. i have to replace the wheel to can somebody tell me the dimentions im looking for

thanks fro youre help
steve
Hi Steve,
I have a spare wheel and tyre for my 1989 Excella, if it fits you can use it until you can get a replacement
Marc
Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
thanks for the info jbond ... they are drum brakes , i was just trying to decribe thr inside of the drum and even though we speak the same language ive still managed to fail in that small task , god help us if i get that job at UN .
checked the sites you linked me to very helpful every bit of info i can get helps me no end thanks again steve
Old 08-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome the the Forums

The United States and Great Britain are two countries divided by a common language.

Sorry for your difficulties. Mine have been trivial compared to those face by all of you in Britain. Glad it was safe, otherwise.

Actually I had to read your original post repeatedly to see where “bond, jbond” even got disk brakes. When you stated that you had drums but were not sure how to remove the “bolts” disk brake wheel pad” the image of the broken studs in the hub was so clear I missed the ‘disk brake’ reference. The “bolts” are studs and the “disk” is part of the hub. Terminology aside, a press at an automotive machine shop should be able to help. They can press out the old and press in the new. Replacement studs should be simple to obtain via the Internet. If you were in the US, you could walk into just about any auto supply shop and order them, if they didn’t have them in stock. It does help that you could show the clerk the part.

Hope this helps. We face much of the same difference here in the states with the Yankee, Rebel thing. We really have more than two major dialects here. And, I was almost able to get this post out without “A stud by any other name smells as sweet.” With greatest apologies to WS.

Put up photos. Always glad to see AS photos from the mother country.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
thanks again very helpfull .... i will get onto that wheel , stud job straight after ive replaced the damaged panel next to the wheel arch or shall it be upgrading the electrics to 230volt or changing the water system to UK standard size pipe or polishing the beast maybe.... or painting the house .... or cooking the tea .
Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have four drums with bearings and lug bolts that will fit your Overlander. I have no idea what such heavy objects would cost being shipped across the pond, but you now have an option to buying new, then paying for shipping.