Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Wheels for 1961 Overlander

I need to replace my wheels and tires on my Overlander. The wheels are rusty inside and tires are shot. I went to a wheel dealer today and priced the wheels. I also took a wheel that I had taken off the overlander with me to match up. They had no AS wheels but had steel wheels that would fit with a 2590 lb wt classification per wheel. The price was good, but I didn't know about this type of wheels for the trailer. Someone please let me know about this. Went back for one year in the forum but found nothing about steel trailer wheels of this type. Want to go with Goodyear Marathon tires but just don't know about wheels.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheels

There are only a few things to consider when buying wheels:
1. Weight rating - 2590 lbs is OK.
2. Does it fit a marathon tire? See the chart
3. Does the offset match your current wheel?
4. Can you mount "moon" style hubcaps?
You can also check Inland RV, they sell wheels.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Dave!

I replaced the wheels on my Overlander for much the same reasons that you state - - they were very rusty and of unknown origin. My tire dealer happended to do quite a bit of business with trailer owners and had a catalog of specialty wheels including a section for trailers - - he had one with the identical off-set found on the Airstream wheels as well as width rated at 2,600 pounds - - the price about eight years ago was 45.99 per wheel. There shouldn't be any question in the dealer's catalog as to whether the wheels are rated for trailer service - - the one's that my dealer ordered were in a special trailer section. I saw the same special section in the catalog for trailer wheels when I ordered the custom wheels for my Cadillac in August of 2003.

Unless your Overlander is one of the last of the single axle models, the wheel weight rating should be within the acceptable range for a tandem axle Overlander - - I believe that tandems became standard about the time yours was manufactured and tandems would have been an option prior to that (one that was evidently specified by a near majority of the original purchasers of Overlanders).

Good luck with your quest for new wheels for your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

wheels for 61 overlander

Thanks OL 64 and Markdoane for coming to my aid so soon, things I don't understand is the offset and pilot Dia and there are no numbers on my wheels that I can find. So I really don't know the size I need, the place I went today had the wheels labeled a 15-6 with 6 lugs holes, he never mentioned off set or pilot dia, he did measure the hole in the center of the wheel and the distance between the lugs but gave me none of this information, other than that was the size I needed. If one of you could tell me what to measure and and how to come up with a size that I need, they have a special trailer dealer within 100 miles of here that I could call and see if he has or can get them for me. Thanks again......Dave.....
Old 01-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
David,
I'm also in search of new wheels for my AS. (Just picked up our "new" 1960 Tradewind last weekend ) But I'm more interested in improving the cosmetics. The trailer has white spoke wheels on it now which I think look terible. I've found a few sights which specialize in wheels. You might want to check these out before purchasing from a local dealer.

My last trailer (an AS) had old rims which would accept mobile home tires only, which I thought would be overkill on an 18ft trailer. However the tire shop had a suitable steel rim for $40, which I had Goodyear Marathons installed on.

I concidering a fifties style chrome "steelie" rim for the tradewind. [URL=http://www.stocktonwheel.com]
A couple of sites which I've found to be good for trailer wheels and parts are:
southwestwheel.com
http:/www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com

Good luck with your search.

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheels

If the dealer measured the center hole, that was the pilot diameter.
To measure the offset, lay the wheel down on its floor so that you are looking at the back side. Measure through the hole from the floor to the back of the wheel where it mounts on the hub face. Then turn the wheel over and measure again from the floor to the same hub face. Half the difference is the offset.

Zero offset means the center of the wheel is the same as the face of the hub. This is the most common, probably what you have, and probably what the dealer is trying to sell you. A positive offset means the center of the wheel is further out than the hub face.

A wheel with the wrong offset will probably be difficult to remove, or may rub against the shock absorber, especially with the tight wheel wells that airstream is notorious for.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Wheels for 61 overlander

Thank you , thank you, Markdoane for this information, tomorrow morning I will put it to use and should come up with a size to order. I'll put it back to you to see if it sounds right to you when I have it. Thanks so much.. Thanks to you plowboy for the information on the trailer wheel dealers.....Dave.....
Old 01-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheels

Dave:
A couple of more things to consider.

1. Before you buy the Marathon tires, make sure they are the same diameter and width as the tire you are replacing. On my '59 single axle with 7x14.5 rims with Kuhmo tires, I needed to check the clearance to the wheel well to be sure marathons will fit. It's tight. You can go bigger if you are careful. It's less problematic if you have a dual axle.

2. Be very careful if you order from SouthWest tire or Lowcost trailer supplies. They don't list weight ratings on their wheels, which make me very nervous.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Trailer Wheels for 61 Overlander

Thanks again Markdoane for the help, I just had to run out to the barn and check the wheels out, here is the #'s I came up with,
15-6 lugs 6x5-1/2 Pilot 3.65 and a 0 offset. The tires I have on the trailer are 700-15 from what I've read I should go with a 225/75R15C or D. My overlander is a duel axle. I really don't know what type of tire to use, I have just read so much about the Marathon I thought this was the thing. Thanks for all your help, the brakes and elec and plumbing are coming together a little each day. Maybe one day I'll get to ride. Do the Numbers for the wheels sound right?. Thanks ....Dave....
Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheels and tires

Dave:
Sounds like your wheels are just right-those are very common size and style. One concern I have: I am using 2600# wheels and Marathon tires because my Tradewind is a single axle. Your Overlander (3750# dry weight) with dual axles could probably use lighter weight wheels and tires. Just an option if you want to go with something fancy. I am not a tire expert so do this at your own risk. Others on this forum will tell you to never use anything other than the original eqipment or equivalent.
Tire dimensions:
7.00x15 diameter 29.2", width 7.35"
LT225/75R15 diameter 28.3", width 8.8"
Old 01-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Hi,

I replaced the wheels and tires on our '55 last year. I went with the Dexter #2600 wheels and goodyear marathons. Very happy with everything. Something else to consider is the cross section of the marathons. I had a link on one of my prior threads regarding it going to the tire rack (.com) who had the size chart for goodyears. I too had 7.00 X 15's with the radials the cross section was a little wider and I made sure I checked the wheel well to brake drum face measurement to calculate that I'd have the clearance. Maybe a little overkill, but better to check it before spending the money.

here is a link:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=4517

Good Luck,

Jason
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jason

Do the Dexter 2600's match what was on your trailer - or is it something different to fit the Marathons. Also did you (or could you) get the baby moons and trim rig from Dexter to fit the wheel?

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Hi Ken,

Yes the Dexter 2600#'s work fine with the Goodyear Marathons. They match the original Split-Rim dimensions. I am supposedly able to use the trim rings and baby moon (they have been on back-order for 6 months! need to go to a different dealer). The only thing I may have to change is to put on a conventional grease cap on the hub. I have the Hadco axles that have the extended screw on grease cap (which I don't think will clear the moons). I'm told a generic grease cap will fit and solve the problem.

Hope this helps?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 01-28-2004, 04:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jason

Yes it does help - it also answers a question that I didn't ask and that is if they are the same dimensions as the split rim.

Thanks again.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

wheels for 61 overlander

Hi Markdoane, Jason and Ken thanks for the information now got to ask more questions. The marathons are 1.55"wider than the 700/15 and I only have about 2" between my tire and the Shock. With this information I think I should drop a size or two if I can. the 205-75R15 will fit a rim of 5.5 to 7.5 my rims are 15-6, I think this would work and the width is I think 7.99 which is only 1/2 " wider than what I have., I think the 225's would be to wide. not sure someone tell me what you think. Thanks everyone...Dave...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheels

Dave: Yes, I would go with the 205. They are quite a bit shorter than the 700x15 and will lower your step height by at least an inch.
Also, the tires will be closer matched to the actual weight of your trailer. This means they will ride a little better (softer).
Old 01-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

wheels for 61 overlander

Thanks Markdoane, I don't know what I would do without your help.....Dave...
Old 01-29-2004, 04:16 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Link to Dexter

thought I'd add the link to Dexter Axle too. I used the conventional wheels...

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Lit_120_6_02.pdf
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 01-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Dave!

One thing that I might add to your thought process as you consider tire size. While the 205 series tire may have the weight carrying capacity necessary, if your coach is anything like my '64 Overlander (or my friends' '60 Overlander) the last thing you want is any reduction in ride height. I went with the 225 series Good Year Marathons, and have not had any clearance issues. I had feared that there might be clearance issues so I took my coach to the Good Year dealer and had him do the preliminary measurements and recommend the "tallest" ST rated tire from the Good Year line that would fit my coach - - his recommendation was the 225 - - by allowing him to make the recommendation it became his responsibility if the tires came in and then wouldn't fit the wheelwell (I made known my concern about the wheelwell dimensions during our preliminary discussions). My current set of 225 series Marathons have been on the coach for five seasons, and have performed flawlessly - - they are slated for replacement in 2005 as the Argosy will be my primary coach for traveling during the upcoming season.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Good point Kevin, I went with 225's on our '55 even with the taller tires, any sites with uneven terrain take extra effort to level the rig, you want any height you can get!
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6

Tags