Old 12-08-2003, 02:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
88-91 4wd FULL size blazers and Suburbans with the factory mags. They are 15x7. They should be rated 2500lb or better.

The rest of the 6 lug GM wheels that your going to find are 8 inches wide and they won't fit.

Also look at Toyota, Nissan and Isuzu trucks. I know Toyota runs the same 6x 5.5 lug pattern. I'm pretty sure Nissan and Isuzu do as well. Mitsubishi may as well.
Some of the late 80's SR5 Toy trucks will have some nice wheels with a good weight rating.

You Got to find 7 inch or under width.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:43 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
One of the issues that has not been mentioned here is the way that the rims on a trailer have side to side forces applied to them. This is more apparent at a low speed, but still is something to look at when looking at the design of the wheel.

The wheel was designed for an application. Is the application one that the wheel was designed for? The side to side stresses will always be applied when changing the trailer from a straight ahead movement to going around a corner. There is a tremendous stress that is placed on the rim as you swing the trailer. The only way I can envision placing that kind of stress on a normal car would to power slide thru every corner.

One thing I am a big advocate of, is safety first! Yes it may cost more, but when you have a failure and are stranded, or have damaged your trailer, you would gladly go back and pay the additional money if it would undo what has just transpired. I know I would. I try to think long term when it comes to this stuff, but thats me.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Was at Jackson Center earlier this year - stayed at the campground. One of the Airstreams there was having his factory steel wheels replaced - due to wheel failure on more than one wheel. The centers came apart from the rim. Be very careful regarding the rating of the wheel - if Jackson Center can put on weak wheels, how do we know what to use??
Old 12-08-2003, 04:56 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Any thing that is made can have defects. I have a friend who has snazzy aluminum garden hose holders. All because the factory Aluminum wheels on their 34 foot limited were cracking and leaking air. The wheel manufacturer had a bad batch. Airstream replaced them at no charge even though the coach was out of warranty. The hose holders are the wheels cut in half so that someone did not steal one and try to use it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

This horse seems to have been beat pretty well, but one last question. Does this all apply to a '67 tandem axel tradewind? Wouldn't the weight be divided over 4 wheels? So maybe you wouldn't need as high a rating?

Also, there seems to be more room for the tires in the wheel well. But does the 7" rim still hold true.

Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-26-2004, 03:53 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Wheels

While you folks are on the subject I need a wheel cover for my 1972 tradewind. Mine have the painted blue centers.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
By all means buy a rim that is rated for your trailer. However just because you have factory wheels installed doesn't mean that they never need to be reinspected. Seveal members of our unit have had rims that had cracked, most often on 34'. So whatever rim you use, a little attention is in order to visually inspect them and tires as we are getting ready for the upcoming seaon.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Post wheel manufacturers ??

hello -
a few posts ago - Tripp- posted that there are a few wheel manufacturers out there that one could check out....
i was wondering if anyone knew how to findem ?
i have done yahoo search and called around locally here and i cannot find any info.

thanks
paul
Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Paul,

will this get you started?

http://www.alliedwheel.com/trailer/steelrim.html

http://www.greenball.com/home.html

http://www.rohwheels.com/pages/page3.PDF

>>>>>>>>>Action