Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Wheel Studs 2002 Classic

Traveling through Minnesota in early July I lost a wheel. The 6 studs completely sheared off. Had no idea it had happened until stopping at a rest stop on I-94. Limped into a town about 9 miles from rest stop.
Minor damage to the wheel well.

Called JC to see if they could help on replacements. Their answer was an auto parts store or Airstream dealer. Dealer 250 miles away..no help.

Trailer has a Henschen axel so tried them. No help. Found a NAPA store and they came up with a set of studs that "fit" so I could get back on the road. Not the same as the original studs. The knurl is not as long as the originals and the thread does not run all the way to the end of the stud (they are for a wheel with a hub cap). Luckily my spare had the same Alcoa aluminum rim as the tires on the trailer so I still have rims to match.

Since we are still on the road I check the lug nuts everyday and need to torque "oh so slight" the lug nuts on the wheel. The other 3 wheels are torqued tight.

Looking for thoughts about the studs and whether I should be replacing them with same as originals and if so where can I get them (other than a trip to JC).

Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you have drum brakes, you can get the studs from a trailer repair shop, they will even put them on for you. Disc brakes are a little tougher to find help for. If they are, you can contact the people that make the brakes, and find out what replacement studs they use.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
The trailer has drum brakes. I've tried RV dealers but the ones I've stopped at do not repair studs.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_2
The trailer has drum brakes. I've tried RV dealers but the ones I've stopped at do not repair studs.
John, are you at home now? Or when will you be home?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_2 View Post
...Looking for thoughts about the studs and whether I should be replacing them with same as originals...
hi big'

had the same need to replace studs a few months ago...

and also purchased the napa replacements...

while the threaded shaft length and cap diameter/thickness aren't exact matches...

the GRADE and shaft DIAMETER and KNURL diameter and THREADING are all the same as oem...

i was assured by a/s, napa, the service shop, AND kodiac...

that the replacement stud was equal to oem, as long as the knurl and grade thread/diameter were the same.

because the endcap/lip aren't exact matches, they had to settle in some and did need re-torquing...

but are now working FINE.

eventually i'll replace ALL 36 of the oem studs with these napa replacements...

because the threaded areas DO stretch and weaken the studs over time.

it is possible a dealer or the factory could get oems but it's a pia for them and not worth the price/markup/effort...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Traveling through Minnesota in early July I lost a wheel. The 6 studs completely sheared off. Had no idea it had happened until stopping at a rest stop on I-94. Limped into a town about 9 miles from rest stop.
Minor damage to the wheel well.

Called JC to see if they could help on replacements. Their answer was an auto parts store or Airstream dealer. Dealer 250 miles away..no help.

Trailer has a Henschen axel so tried them. No help. Found a NAPA store and they came up with a set of studs that "fit" so I could get back on the road. Not the same as the original studs. The knurl is not as long as the originals and the thread does not run all the way to the end of the stud (they are for a wheel with a hub cap). Luckily my spare had the same Alcoa aluminum rim as the tires on the trailer so I still have rims to match.

Since we are still on the road I check the lug nuts everyday and need to torque "oh so slight" the lug nuts on the wheel. The other 3 wheels are torqued tight.

Looking for thoughts about the studs and whether I should be replacing them with same as originals and if so where can I get them (other than a trip to JC).
Finding the correct studs, is a minor problem.

The "HUGE" problem is to find out "why" you lost a wheel.

There is a reason, whatever it may be.

Until you know exactly what that reason is, the same thing could happen again.

Once you know the reason, you can take corrective measures to assure yourself that it will never happen again.

Dig as deep as you have to until you have a positive answer, as to the cause, since it simply does not "just" happen.

Andy
Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Why did I loose the wheel?

My take is the rough Interstate and resulting bounce, bnounce bounce caused the lug nuts to work loose on the aluminum rim. That is the only explanation I can come up with. I checked them the before leaving the campground the morning I lost the wheel and they were tight.

Traveled to Raleigh, NC in April and the lug nuts on the same wheel were starting to work loose. I-95 through SC is like a wash board. Don't know why that wheel was prone to coming loose.

Terry...We are enroute to Alaska and will not be home until late September.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_2

John, if it is still an issue when you return, PM me, and I'll be happy to try to help, we live just down the road a few miles from you.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Terry....Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Why did I loose the wheel?

My take is the rough Interstate and resulting bounce, bnounce bounce caused the lug nuts to work loose on the aluminum rim. That is the only explanation I can come up with. I checked them the before leaving the campground the morning I lost the wheel and they were tight.

Traveled to Raleigh, NC in April and the lug nuts on the same wheel were starting to work loose. I-95 through SC is like a wash board. Don't know why that wheel was prone to coming loose.

When lug nut become loose on one wheel, I would be very suspicious of something wrong with that wheel, or the drum or rotor as the case may be.

But, when the lug nuts get loose again on the same wheel, then a further check is in order.

I would have the drum or rotor check for balance.

Better yet, it is always wise to have the entire running gear balanced, the tire, wheel, and hub and drum, as an assembly.

To not do so, invites problems such as you have already experienced.

Andy