Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Hertford , North Carolina
So, it turns out they are split rims and I am perfectly happy with them.

It has become dogma that all split rims are bad all the time but closer review of the facts tells a different story.

There is virtuallly no danger from a split rim once inflated and locked. The real danger comes if the tube is inflated and the ring unseats under pressure. So the danger is to the tire repair person.

But if you google "DIY split rims" you will find that people all over the English speaking world maintain their own wheels in remote places with just hand tools.

So, for the time being, i will keep my split rims and I may even teach myself to change tires and tubes with hand tools on the side of the road.

All part of the VINTAGE RV experience

Dave & Ellen Silva

Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If you are going to stay with the split rims get a long air hose with a lock on chuck so you can stay out of the way when filling..
Carol's father went to fill a soft tire on 16 inch rim similiar to what the trailer uses.
The ring came off, struck him in the chest, broke his arm and cut him severely. In addition when he fell backwards he cracked his tailbone.
This would not be good for any of us, worse when you are 82 years old.. Others have been killed by these things

I would like to say I would not have done what he did, but in reality I probably would have.
If you choose to run them be careful. They are a known danger.
If you need spare rims I have plenty you can have for free,after you sign the release.

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I start this suggestion with the usual disclaimer, "these rims shouldn't be used, they are dangerous, you or others can be hurt or seriously killed, etc".
Now that I've done that, I'll tell you how I safely inflate these tires when I have to work on them.
First, install the tire/wheel assembly backwards on the trailer, with the lug nuts on several turns, but not tight.
Then, reach through the rim with your air chuck and hose, and inflate the tire. When it's full, and the locking ring hasn't blown off, you can remove the tire/wheel assembly and install it on your trailer in the right direction.
That way, if the ring does blow off, it will be stopped by the frame of the trailer, and not your body.
I have seen the tire come off the back side of the rim if the lock ring comes off, but it is much less severe than the ring itself.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
hertfordnc
Let it not be said you have not been warned. These were outlawed by the goverment 30 years ago because they killed or hurt so many people. That is why the tire guy didnt want to mess with them . Most compatent tire shops will not remount tires on these rims.
So now that you have been warned DO AS YOU WISH. DONT SAY YOU WERE NOT TOLD.
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Mr. Silva;
A few decades ago I had a sales route thru farm country in Northern California.I had a 3/4 ton van loaded with tire repair supplies. Sold tons of patches,glue, tire machines,alignment equipment,mobile compressors, valve hardware, well you get the picture.
At that time split rims were very common, if you know what you are doing, no problems, as a matter of fact watching an "old pro" seating a splitter with a gentle tap here and there upon inflation is , well , something to behold.
Usually these tires were placed in an inflation cage while being inflated. The problems arise when rust gets in the grooves or eats up the rings. I sold lotsa wire wheels and the tool specific to split rim servicing, also some shops use lock on air chucks and folks would walk away from the rim during inflation, these were the amatauers. Anyway there is in my opinion no reason to shy away from these rims. an old trick was to run a chain thru the center hole on the rim and kind of loosly round the casing as protection for ring departure.
There's info on the web on how to the process. Having the correct tools is a must. KenTool mfg was the place that made all this stuff.
Now having said that. I used to call on a shop in farm country that had a split rim ring impaled in the roof some 25 feet up. they just left it there, looked kinda cool.
I'ld run them. paint the rims one color and the rings another, look stylish.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Tubes and flaps can be ordered from : Agri Supply at
Agri Supply - Farm Supplies, Tools, Lawn Mower Blades, Cast Iron Cookware

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You can sandblast the wheels and locks and paint them. Use a locking chuck when you go to fill. You could fill the tires upside down with them on 4x4's or just let that tire place you got the tubes mount them.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Hertford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
hertfordnc
Let it not be said you have not been warned. These were outlawed by the goverment 30 years ago because they killed or hurt so many people. That is why the tire guy didnt want to mess with them . Most compatent tire shops will not remount tires on these rims.
So now that you have been warned DO AS YOU WISH. DONT SAY YOU WERE NOT TOLD.
GOOD LUCK
Say what you want about my judgement (it is questionable) but Norman Young Tire in ELizabeth City, NC is the best.

By "competent" shops you mean Walmart and the other franchise tire places that need to keep the process simple and safe enough for entry level burger flippers to avoid injury.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Another consideration would be the difficulty of finding a shop that will tackle them on the road. You have found someone locally, but it might be difficult somewhere else. Just something else to consider, I'm not jumping in on the replace side. It sounds like your mind is made up.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are many reasons to switch to modern wheels.

The safety thing has been covered for the most part although mounting tires has inherent dangers even with one-piece rims with zipper rupture now being the biggest killer.

There are shops that will work on split rims but you have to call around since many do not.

Yes you will need tubes and flaps.

Those rims are intended for bias ply tires. Is that what you really want to run?

You can get one piece steel rims with a similar appearance that will take radial tires, possibly even with the little cleat to hold the hubcap.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
15" Trailer Wheel
Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
hertfordnc
Scrap the spits man, they are worn out by now, they kill and maim many, just buy some decent spoke steel wheels and good tires, and a spare, you will never have to do them yourself in the wilderness, I worked many years in the tire business, please trust me.......

howco is offline   Reply With Quote