Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

wheel offset

MY NEWEST PROJECT IS A 64 SAFARI THAT IS STILL EQUIPED WITH ITS ORIGINAL SPLIT RIMS. I HAVE TO MOVE IT FROM ITS PRESENT LOCATION, AND WOULD LIKE TO BRING NEW TIRES MOUNTED ON MODERN RIMS TO TOW APPROX. 140 MILES TO MY HOME. CAN 15 in. G.M. TRUCK RIMS BE FITTED FOR TEMP. USE? IF SO, WHAT MODEL WILL FIT? IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I WANT TO HEAR THEM! (I'M PLANNING TO MOVE THE TRAILER ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND AND THOUGHT THAT IF I BROUGHT MOUNTED RIMS WITH ME I WOULD AVOID TRYING TO FIND AN OPEN GARAGE ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND!)
ON SAFARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
wheel offset

Greetings ON SAFARI!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of '64 Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON SAFARI
MY NEWEST PROJECT IS A 64 SAFARI THAT IS STILL EQUIPED WITH ITS ORIGINAL SPLIT RIMS. I HAVE TO MOVE IT FROM ITS PRESENT LOCATION, AND WOULD LIKE TO BRING NEW TIRES MOUNTED ON MODERN RIMS TO TOW APPROX. 140 MILES TO MY HOME. CAN 15 in. G.M. TRUCK RIMS BE FITTED FOR TEMP. USE? IF SO, WHAT MODEL WILL FIT? IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I WANT TO HEAR THEM! (I'M PLANNING TO MOVE THE TRAILER ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND AND THOUGHT THAT IF I BROUGHT MOUNTED RIMS WITH ME I WOULD AVOID TRYING TO FIND AN OPEN GARAGE ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND!)
According to my notes from the wheel purchase on my '64 Overlander, the following specifications worked for its wheels:

RV/Trailer Wheel -- 2,600 pound rating - - 15" x 6" - - 5.5" bolt circle - - 0" offset.

I have been running Good Year Marathon 225 75 R 15 ST Load Range D on the above wheels with the Overlander.

I hesitate to say that the wheel/tire combination will work on your coach as the clearances on this Vintage single Axle Airstream tend to be VERY tight. The center hole also is much larger than on many wheels, and it must be the proper size to allow the wheel to seat properly on the brake drum. Even on the tandem coaches, my recommendation would be to have the tire dealer who is going to handle the installation do the measuring for both the tire and wheel to insure that all will fit with no unpleasant surprises such as a special order part that cannot be returned - - by having the dealer handle the measurements the special ordered parts become his responsibilities (this saved me big bucks on aftermarket wheels on my Cadillac towcar that didn't fit when they arrived and were returned without question as the dealer had handled all of the measurements).

Good luck with your new acquisition!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I don't think you can get a GM truck rim on it. On the 6 lugs from the 70-s throguh the 80's is 8 inches wide. I think the hole in the center is going to be too small.
I just went and measured. A REAL GM rim from 70-80's is a 3 1/2 center opening. The Hole the coach needs is 3 5/8's s no it will not fit. I thing it will also be too wide. A 7 inch wide rim is a tight fit. A GM rim of that vintage is 8 inches and 3 5/8 back set so it should fit that.

Now a Nissan, Toyota and Isuzu all run the same pattern on the 4x4 trucks and many of them run a 7 inch rim.
http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...l_assembly.htm The #2 rims are what I put on my 59. They are the correct 15x6 rim size and they have the GoodYears.

22575R15ARA Is the part number. It's very close to what Airstream uses on the current coaches.

You might look in your local Yellow pages and see if you have a Trailer or RV place in your area. That is a standard size rim for trailers. They might match those prices.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Wheel Offset

I'm Going To Bite The Bullet And Go For The Replacement Rims (15x6) From A Local Trailer Shop. I Don't Even Want To Think About Trying To Use Those Old Split Rims On A Maiden Voyage! My 72 Grumman Motorhome Rides On Split Rims Also (another Aluminum Monster!!), And I Will Be Looking To Upgrade Them Also.) Thanks For The Input - When I Find Out What Systems Work And Which Don't, I'll Put Out The Call For Help Again!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON SAFARI
I'm Going To Bite The Bullet And Go For The Replacement Rims (15x6) From A Local Trailer Shop. I Don't Even Want To Think About Trying To Use Those Old Split Rims On A Maiden Voyage! My 72 Grumman Motorhome Rides On Split Rims Also (another Aluminum Monster!!), And I Will Be Looking To Upgrade Them Also.) Thanks For The Input - When I Find Out What Systems Work And Which Don't, I'll Put Out The Call For Help Again!!!!!!
Just remember to clean the face of the drum where the rim contacts it. Failure to do so will not le the rim seat to the drum and the wheel may get loose. It is recomeneded that when ever a aluminum rim is take off to recheck that the lugs are tight between 50 and 100 miles.

Good luck and get us some pictures. You can post them at www.Airstreamphotos.com and link them here. The passwords are the same as here.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Make sure the new wheels have a rating of at least 2600 pounds each.

If not, they will fail.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Make sure the new wheels have a rating of at least 2600 pounds each.

If not, they will fail.

Andy
Ohhhh My new wheels are only rated 2540! hehehe
Close enough.

But yes heed Andy's warning. "Properly rated".

Most of the rims in that size that most wheel manufactures make are rated 1900lb. It had been my intention to buy wheels that were identical to my tow rig but could not find the correct size with a better then 1900lb rating. My coach loaded is about 3700...tooo close. Plenty of margin with the rims I have that are "Trailer" rims. Now the size for my tow rig have the 3400lb rating I needed...go figure.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

I Bought Correct 15x6 Rims, New Tires, And Had An Uneventfull Trip! Thans To All Who Shared Advise!!!