Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Castle Pines North , Colorado
Wheel load range

I have a 19’ Flying Cloud Trailer 2010 with 15X7JJ OEM wheels. The trailer placard specifies D load range tires (ST 225/75R15 LRD) but I'd like to use E load range tires. I can't find if the wheels are rated for the 85 PSI maximum pressure for the E load range tires. I checked the wheel for a marking but could not find it. Anyone know where I can get the wheel specifications? Thanks in advance!
Keith Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
should be stamped on the inside of the rim. Therefore you have to take the wheel off the trailer. You do not need to take the tire off.
At least that is where it is on my Alcoa rims.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I called Airstream when I first purchased mine and asked about wheels an tires. I was told that they used wheels for D rated tires on most all models. We did finally find a stamp on a wheel with a max pressure rating of 65 PSI. on the OEM wheels (D rating). E Rated are 80 PSI.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
First, there is no requirement that the wheels be labeled for either max load or max pressure.

Second, the best information I have been able to gather is that the load on the wheels is many, many times more important than the pressure - to the point where I feel confident in saying that changing up to a higher load range tire - and using the higher pressure - is OK. That the increased pressure is not going to cause the wheel to fail.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Unlike tires that are certified by the DOT rims/wheels are certified to the manufacturer’s specifications by the SAE.

Those of us that have worked with mechanical equipment all of our lives know there is a percentage of reserve strength in all of them - some more, some less. However, it is dangerous to use more than what the manufacturer of a mechanical product says is safe to use. That’s why we have those items tested and approved for a given safe value.

The DOT does say that when in doubt you need to seek the proper values from the equipment manufacturer. For rims/wheels the DOT requires their manufacturers to provide the part number, serial number, and model number on each one. So, you can email or call the individual manufacturer for a list of specifications.

The specified load capacity of a rim/wheel is it’s primary limiting factor.

BA
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Castle Pines North , Colorado
Thanks to everyone. Your responses have been quite helpful. I appreciate your help!
Keith Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Good to know. When the big floor jack arrives and I can pull wheels to service bearings, inspect/service brakes, I think it would be beneficial to check the wheels as well since this rig is new to me and so far I've seen some strange things.

How do you raise these things up to change a tire while out on the road?
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Good to know. When the big floor jack arrives and I can pull wheels to service bearings, inspect/service brakes, I think it would be beneficial to check the wheels as well since this rig is new to me and so far I've seen some strange things.

How do you raise these things up to change a tire while out on the road?
You don't need a jack to raise the trailer to change a tire or to do brake work.

Carry a couple of 2 X 6's. Pull one wheel up on them, and the other wheel will hang in the air.

Reverse the 2 X 6's to do the other wheel on the same side, when your doing the brake or bearing work.

Much safer than a jack of most any kind.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Thanks!

So to change an axle 2x6s on both sides?
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Just as an example, our wheels are the Alcoa aluminum ones and are stamped on the inside saying max. weight is 2200 lbs. I would not use E rated tires on these wheels. JMHO As far as the using the wood for changing a tire, that is if you have dual axles.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

The back side of the Alcoa wheels on our Classic....pretty much all the info needed.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14kb5g4.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	243314  
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I put E rated tires on my TV and inflated them to 75psi. Over a period of a year three of the American Eagle wheels developed hairline cracks. The cracks ran parallel to the rim and were two inches in from the outer rim of the wheel (where the tire seats). After the first crack I bought an after market TPMS system.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
I put E rated tires on my TV and inflated them to 75psi. Over a period of a year three of the American Eagle wheels developed hairline cracks. The cracks ran parallel to the rim and were two inches in from the outer rim of the wheel (where the tire seats). After the first crack I bought an after market TPMS system.
What did you do about the wheels? Did American Eagle replace them under warranty? Were the wheels labeled with load information / pressure information?

Details, please!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Racer I replaced the wheels when they began to leak with AR lookalikes. I contacted AR but only had one of the broken wheels. Because the cracks were about 6-8 inches long and smaller than hair line I was more concerned that someone else would try to use them. I had the receipts for the replacements but threw out the other two wheels. When I told him that I was running 75psi he said that the pressure caused the wheel to fail. Live & learn. I upgraded to wheels that are rated at 3600 pounds.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote