Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
wheel leak

I have a wheel that leaks air. 1964 Safari.

This drove Les Schwab Tire guys nuts.

Wheel leaks air. Wheel leaks, not tire.

Has anyone experienced a leaking wheel before??

After 2 flats, finally determined the wheel leaks air inside at the trailing edge of one of the four factory rim welds. Very, very slight, found with soapy water and 80 PSI.

Holds air fine static until warmed up driving I-80 from 3000’ to 6000’ elevation. Donner Party ghosts?

Ordered (another) new replacement wheel today.

Any other known source/manufacturer for “stock” 15x6 trailer rated steel wheels?

Details notes: purchased pair of rims in 2013 from our favorite Airstream dealer (still is), part #11147, 15 x 6 steel wheel, 6 lug, 5 1/2" bolt circle. Also purchased new Centramatic balancers. Les Schwab mounted new Michelin SUV tires. All went well for first 100 miles. While sitting parked, tire went flat. Tire shop found no defect, aired up, drove 100 miles home. Sat parked in driveway for 8 months with weight on wheels. Checked air, 50 PSI as should be. Drove 100 miles, towed fine. Pulled into Safeway for food, 10 minutes later…flat tire. No tire defect found.

Thoughts?
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I once had an aluminum wheel with a very slow leak located in the center. I had the tire removed then I gave the wheel a heavy coat of rattle can black around the center. Never leaked again.
Don't know if that would work on a steel wheel, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks Jim,
I'm expecting with tire removed I could have the weld repaired from inside wheel, or 2 part epoxy over the very small (<1/64") leak spot and get it to hold....

Just not sure of safety factor of repaired wheel and not wanting to go through this needless flat tires on the road...ever again. Especially after spending cash on new rims, tires, balancers just to avoid such...this will be last wheel purchased from this source.

Already carry 2 spare tires (experience learned on AlCan Highway)

Perhaps it becomes my 3rd spare tire/wheel and check air every stop.

Any one else have new factory welded steel wheel air leaks, without damaging wheel?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Try these folks
Redneck Trailer Supplies - 20 National Branch Locations - Home

How old are your wheels?

I had an old steel wheel that had rusted where the "bead" of the tire seals in the rim. Couldn't fix it... I put goop of all sorts but it must have a "porosity" issue somewhere. So, that meant it was still rusting... Somewhere I couldn't see and when it was rolled that must have "opened" up the spot enough to leak the air.

Replace the wheels... So they match..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Walter,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Steel wheels leaking.
We also have a 1964 Safari which had steel wheels when we purchased her. I understand you have purchased new steel wheels already, however you might try changing to aluminum wheels. I changed to aluminum wheels for all my tires (load range-E) including 2-spairs. Knock on wood, never had another problem.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Where / what did you buy for aluminum wheels (and hub caps that fit)?

I expect a dab of aircraft epoxy would seal the air leak, with tire off, and make a viable spare,spare for road trips.

I bought these 2 made for trailer wheels new in 2013...after 2 Goodyear Marathon catastrophic failures and just because I didn't want to trust the original old wheels anymore...the old ones never leaked, rolled fine...just were 50 years old and had found every pot hole from Arizona to Alaska and back.

How do you carry two spares on a '64 Safari?

I have one upright in front, behind propane tanks and other under front dinette floor area (in original hanger). Third may go on roof of tow vehicle, under wood canoe.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ford had a TSB a few years back on leaking alloy wheels. Solution was to spray coat the wheel interior with an epoxy paint. Search for directions on how to.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1 View Post
Where / what did you buy for aluminum wheels (and hub caps that fit)?

I expect a dab of aircraft epoxy would seal the air leak, with tire off, and make a viable spare,spare for road trips.

I bought these 2 made for trailer wheels new in 2013...after 2 Goodyear Marathon catastrophic failures and just because I didn't want to trust the original old wheels anymore...the old ones never leaked, rolled fine...just were 50 years old and had found every pot hole from Arizona to Alaska and back.

How do you carry two spares on a '64 Safari?

I have one upright in front, behind propane tanks and other under front dinette floor area (in original hanger). Third may go on roof of tow vehicle, under wood canoe.

Walter,

I purchased my tires and aluminum wheels from Americas Tires, here in Modesto, CA.
I purchased a under the trailer spare tire carrier from Air Stream. Here is a link so you can see one, ours looks like this only it is shinny new.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ody-89012.html
I keep the other spare on the floor inside the trailer or in the back of the tow vehicle. I have an 17' aluminum canoe and skybox on the top racks.
I also put a front hitch on the Yukon so I have more options, cargo, bikes, backing into super tight spots when booney camping.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My wife drives a '98 Camry with factory alloy wheels. One has a defect in the wheel like a bubble in the casting. Leaks pretty fast like flat in a couple of weeks. The leak is near the center so I applied a little epoxy. Twice.

So it happens.

>>>>>>>>>Action.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks. That thread show the same spare carry that came on my '64.

2 spares>>>good.