Old 10-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Take three deep breaths. . .there, . . .you are a better person than I. I think I would have been quietly, deadly, and very specific with that dealer about his failing in suitability for a dealership and then immediately rung up Ohio and demanded to talk to the top person there. This situation was dangerous and is purely outrageous in all respects! The dealer and AS should be down on their knees grateful that you lived to ask for help from them , and then they should have rushed to make things right again for you with their trailer at whatever cost and inconvenience, hoping to forstall a suit and to insure confidence in the AS product and service line. There, maybe I'd better take those three deep breaths! Good luck

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

another update.

I went back to the side of the road where I left the trailer (about 10 Miles away) and hitched it up and drove it home. I had a couple of friends follow me. I drove it at about 30 to 35 mph and nothing awful happened. It does bounce more on bumps. To answer some questions, the castle nut and pin are still there and the large inner bearing is still there in tact. There is little left of the outer bearing. Some of it is on the axle and some of it is within the wheel hub that fell off. It appears that the that this outer bearing failed, which was the basis for the recall.

I actually feel better that it is at home. I want to be postive, but I have a feeling this may be long road. I guess I was hoping Airstream would bend over backwards to help me but I don't think that will be the case.
I grew up in the Show-Me-State, so I will believe when I see it.

Wilco

Old 10-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Wilco,

As the owner of a 2004 Classic that was purchased from Toscano's, I have been following your woes. First, I am breathing a sigh of relief that nobody was injured when your wheel and tire came off and glad to hear that you were able to safely tow your trailer home! Second, I am extremely disappointed to hear how you are being treated by the dealer (MY dealer, as well).

I would be using all my cell phone minutes talking to the folks in Ohio, since the dealer appears to be "too busy" to address a known problem for which they gave you a clean bill of health! Even if this is related to the whole thing of torqueing the nuts at the required intervals after the wheel was removed/replaced, I still feel you should have been given EXPLICIT instructions on the importance of this. This is in no way your fault....this is a brand new trailer, still under warranty.

Please keep us updated on how this is resolved...

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
it looks like your dealer was too busy to do the job right the first time .The mechanic must have just popped the caps off the hubs and checked for grease (if at all).Torqueing of the wheels wouldn't enter into it.Note also that it is important to remove the hubs at least every year and repack bearings.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the continued advise. Here is an update. My dealer knows a mobile RV mechanic in Santa Rosa who is going to look at all 4 wheels and suspension tomarrow, and order the parts through my dealer and install them in Santa Rosa at Airstream's expense. I will then need to tow it to my dealer in Los Banos to repair the body damage. I have talked to Ohio a couple of times and they seem concerned about the problem.
Wilco
Old 10-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
.Note also that it is important to remove the hubs at least every year and repack bearings.
Note taken; makes me sick just thinking about it......

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
This "red grease" issue, does anybody know what the brand was? Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil 1 and others all have red colored grease. Most are suitable for wheel bearing use.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
This "red grease" issue, does anybody know what the brand was? Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil 1 and others all have red colored grease. Most are suitable for wheel bearing use.
I think the issue was not so much the red grease, but perhaps someone thought they needed less (read not enough) because it was better...
Old 10-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
Thanks for the continued advise. Here is an update. My dealer knows a mobile RV mechanic in Santa Rosa who is going to look at all 4 wheels and suspension tomarrow, and order the parts through my dealer and install them in Santa Rosa at Airstream's expense. I will then need to tow it to my dealer in Los Banos to repair the body damage. I have talked to Ohio a couple of times and they seem concerned about the problem.
Wilco
Good, you are being taken care of. Finally, but at least Ohio is stepping to the plate and I then would guess causing the dealer to live up to their part of the bargain. A relief I'm sure for you. It is good to know that ultimately good responsible business practices come into play. Let's hope this all happens quickly so you can get out and go camping once again.
B )
Old 01-28-2006, 07:54 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
Here is an update.

I called Airstream in Ohio who said they would call my dealer and they would handle it. Ohio said the dealer may need to come up (175 miles) and get the trailer. I did not hear from my dealer, so I called them and they said they had not called me because they were busy. He said I needed to bring the trailer to the dealership for repairs and said they did not think it was their fault.

I really don't care who's fault it was, I just want it repaired under warranty. I can't image towing the trailer on 3 wheels on California freeways 175 miles. He said he would check with Ohio to see if they would pay for towing and get back to me.

Does anybody know what Airstream normally does in this type of situation?

thanks for any advise. I am remaining calm.

Wilco
What does Airstream normally do in this situation. They go into full defensive mode. If you are one mile or one day over the designated service intervals, they will hang you out to dry. Same thing happened to me 8 months after my purchase of a new bambi. You will note, wheel bearings are supposed to be serviced at 6 months. Ended up paying for all repairs out of my pocket. Hope your experience is better than mine.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Here is an Update,

I don't know if I was treated differently because of the recall, but Airstream paid for all of the repairs to the wheel. replaced other bearings and repaired the damage to the trailer including replacing an aluminium panel. The dealer in Los Banos did all of the repairs. Airstream sent a local mobile RV mechanic to repair the one wheel that fell off to allow me to tow it the 175 miles to Los Banos. The trailer was at the dealer where I purchased the trailer for about 3 weeks. I paid nothing for all of the repairs and Airstream never asked for money or implied that the repair would not be covered by the warranty. The wheel fell off about 5,000 miles after the dealer had inspected them.

Wilco
Old 01-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #26
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
You know... stuff happens and happens usually at the worst times. It's nice to hear when something is resolved to your satisfaction, though. That's truly the measure of quality products and a quality dealership network.

Thanks for sharing the outcome.

Roger
Old 01-31-2006, 09:54 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

I did not want to imply that Airstream did not try to help me with my broken axle or that their product is not a great product. I've had my trailer in various environments from the deserts of Arizona to the Grand Canyon this summer, to Winter Park, Colorado with a covering of ice over the trailer last winter on a snow sking trip. Also a few severe thunderstorms, rain and wind here in Texas. It has kept me comfortable in every environment I've been in. When the axle disintegrated on a trip from Oklahoma, Airstream tried and found a repair facility for me nearby that was very reputable and they did a great job of repairing the damage. I'm just saying that if you are beyond warranty, or beyond service intervals, you are unlikely to have them pick up the tab, even if you did not receive a recall notice.

Dallas