Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Wheel confusion

Believe it or not, I just pulled off my hubcaps for the first time, as I am getting ready for the big tire investment.

Of course there is surface rust, but I have noticed that the wheels on the front of my dual axle are different than the wheels on the rear. Both fronts are the same, and both rears are the same. I also noticed that the lugs appear to screw in through the wheel, rather than the stud coming out from the hub. Is this normal? I'm feeling really stupid all of a sudden... well, I have this feeling more often than not!

Also, the rears have clips near the lugs for what must have been for a hub cap... or something. I have the original 72' hubcaps.

Very strange! I have searched photo archives for a closeup of wheels, but haven't found any.

Do these look like stock AS wheels.. or what?

Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whall.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	4730  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Looks like you may have some "OLD" Chevrolet truck wheels on the rear axle, the fronts look to be OEM. Haven't seen clips on wheels since at least the 50's but I could be wrong, maybe some circa 60's Airstream wheels. A safe bet would be to just replace them, you have the original wheelcovers so you are lucky in thet regard.

Most all of the older axles use wheel bolts instead of lugnuts, I think they were very common in the 70's.

Now for the bad news,

I am not sure of the camera angle but I feel that your axles may have seen better days, sure is a lot of tire up in them wheelwells.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Does the "wheel bolts" mean that my hubs are old and need to be replaced?

Yes, I think my axles may be fried. That is on my list to replace sometime very soon.

What is a reasonable price for replacement steel wheels?

Thanks!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
The old style hubs with the wheel bolts are still serviceable, as long as they are within spec, drum thickness that is. On most travel trailers that is hardly a problem though. One thing to watch is the threads in them, they do have a tendency to strip out, being cast iron.

If you replace the axle you can get a bare one and reuse the drums but it would also be a good idea to replace the brake assemblies so not sure how much you would save. Brake assemblies and drums are available from other outlets besides Inland so it may be smart to shop around. As far as axles go Inland has about the only deal in town, can't get the Henshen DuraTorque anywhere else.

Wheels are available at your local utility trailer supply. I got new Dexter wheels for my Minuet at a farm supply for right at $25 a piece.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
wheels and studs

you can avoid the stripping problem associated with the wheel bolts by replacing them with studs and lug nuts. the studs can be semi permanately installed with red locktite.

but then, why bother if you need to replace the axles anyway.

as for the wheels, chas is correct, just make sure you get wheels with a 2600lb. capacity. when looking at the pics you posted it looks like the rear wheels may be split rims. hard to tell for sure from the pictures.

split rims are difficult or next to impossible to find anyone who will work on them. they can be very dangerous if handled improperly when installing tires on them. boom yer dead!

a vacation would be ruined in short order if you had a flat and could not find anyone to replace a tire. let alone the risk of some misinformed tire jocky being decapitated by your rims.

looks like all new running gear is in your future!

john
Old 02-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
wheel interesting

the rear wheels are exactly the same as the wheels that I removed from my 1971 Tradewind, when I bought my alloy wheels.
They are not split wheels.
I had them cleaned, blasted and powdercoated to work and look like new. They have the clips to take the baby moon hubcaps.
The front wheel looks unfamiliar. My old axles had wheel studs and lug nuts. when I replaced my axles, I purchased complete assemblies, drum to drum. the complete axles came with everything needed, including lug nuts...a very good and safe, no brainer alternative to piecing together running gear that will no doubt disappoint at some point.
I would vote against buying tailer specific wheels, contrary to common preference. I have found in my research last year, that many trailer specialty items are of substandard quality, out of round, non-centric, etc. Impossible or difficult at best to balance. This includes some, but of course not all, bias ply trailer tires.
After messing about for a while, I decided to bite the bullett and buy new alloys, Marathons by Good Year, and new complete axles. No regrets here. i know that this part of the trailer is now DONE for a long while.
This is definitely an expensive solution, but also one that cures a lot of issues all at once.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:27 AM   #7
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Uwe,
What kind of alloys did you get? Can they be purchased online? I',m looking for wheels for my 1959 Tradewind, however I haven't been able to find any 15" alloys. There are plenty of boat trailer (14") and horse/cargo(16") wheel out there.

Sneakiup, I purchased steel OEM wheels for my last trailer for $40 from a local tire dealer.

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheels

Plowboy,

Hurray for '59 Tradewinds! The best Airstream ever made!

BTW, is yours a single axle? It reduces your choices somewhat as most (but not all) alloys are only rated 2000 lbs.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Markdoane,
Yes! We love our Tradewind! Yes it is a single axle. I was trying to post a pic however the file it's in only allows the whole file to be sent not just one pic.

I'm looking into a chrome "steelie" wheels also.

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Plowboy,

I bought American Racing Outlaw II alloys.
"Just Tires" has them available for about $ 100.00 each, lugs and caps included. They often match internet prices.
15x7, 6-lug. they are rated 2000lb automotive, 2450lb trailer use ( that's what it says inside one of the wheels)
I run load range "D" marathons.
But I also still have the 4 original wheels and tires, if someone is interested. Early Ford moon type hubcaps will fit these.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

I believe the front wheels look to be standard furnished on late model units. They are the same as furnished on my 1987 25'.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Different rims for the same purpose

Sneakinup,

The rims with the clips were OE on my '66. My '66 has four of those rims with the clips. The clips do hold the baby moons on to the rim. If you do not want those rims and assuming they do not have damage to the rim, you could sell those to owners that want to have moons instead of a full wheel cover or a styled wheel. There is nothing wrong with those rims and they are not the split type. The fronts are of a newer type. Not goood or bad it's just what you have.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action