Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Rubber must be exercised as well as neoprene, to stay alive.

I think the difference between the life of grease seals on cars versus Airstreams, depends on the frequency of use.

Using our cars as we do, keeps the seals going.

Using an Airstream typically every few months, I think is what has the negative effect on the seals
Andy,

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the pics of the magnets—it's always easier to know what to do when you have a visual example. The magnets in my wheels seem to just lie there and aren't attached to anything (but the wires). Is that ok?

Gene

Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Andy,

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the pics of the magnets—it's always easier to know what to do when you have a visual example. The magnets in my wheels seem to just lie there and aren't attached to anything (but the wires). Is that ok?

Gene
They better be attached to a shaft so that they can slide in and out as necessary.

They cannot come off by themselves unless that shaft breaks.

There is a keeper in the center, that holds them in place, sort off.

Andy

Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'll take comfort in that "sort of" and that 4 shafts couldn't all break, or at least the chance of that is really, really small. The looseness of them is accountable to the fact they slide. I couldn't figure out just how they worked, but I didn't pay that much attention when I had the drums off. Thanks for the education.

Gene
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'll take comfort in that "sort of" and that 4 shafts couldn't all break, or at least the chance of that is really, really small. The looseness of them is accountable to the fact they slide. I couldn't figure out just how they worked, but I didn't pay that much attention when I had the drums off. Thanks for the education.

Gene
Gene.

The old style brakes have the stud that the round magnets slides on.

New style brakes, have a flat shaft that the magnet slides on. It's not likely to break, "ever."

Andy
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Old thread here but good info. I'm in the middle of brakes & bearings on my triple axle Excella. I've got a couple drums with scoring on the flat face of the drum (magnet contact), but brake surface looks very good. Lots of pad left but most of my magnets are wearing out. I'm wondering if I replace the brake backing plate assembly (mainly for new magnets) but don't have the drums machined if this will be a big deal?

Also, it seems as though I can see in the right light a faint straw-color to the smaller outer bearings. I see no flaw other than this slight discoloration, no color change or marks on the races either. Inside (big) bearings all look fine. Should these bearings/races be replaced? And, if so can I leave the inner bearings and races alone and just replace the outers?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Big deal?

Binkers,
What would be a big deal? Your brakes not working when you need them to? Yes, it could be a big deal if you don't follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Magnets must be replaced in pairs (each axle end) and the armature surface must be refaced whenever the magnet is replaced.
From the Dexter service manual-
"The machined inner surface of the brake drum that contacts the brake magnet is called the armature surface. If the armature surface is scored or worn unevenly, it should be refaced to a 120 micro inch finish by removing not more than .030" of material. To ensure proper contact between the armature face and the magnet face, the magnets should be replaced whenever the armature surface is refaced and the armature surface should be refaced whenever the magnets are replaced"

I refer to this Timken inspection criteria for bearings-
Tapered Roller Bearing Damage Analysis.pdf
You must replace the cup and cone as a set, if needed.
600-8K_Complete_Service_Manual_1-12.pdf

For the DIY guy, if the shoes are in good shape, I'd replace the magnet and reface the armature. Refacing the armature surface may cost as much as a new drum. It depends on the machine shop you use. It may be less expensive to replace the backing plates and drums in some instances. Shop around for a good deal on parts.
Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Andy,
Thanks for the advice on magnet wear. So far all I could find was if the coil wires were showing.

I just found a drum with worn armature face. I had it turned and replaced the magnet. Doing the same on the other end of the axle even though it looks good. No significant wear grooves on the armature face.

I think the worn drum is sitting a little deeper on the axle stub. Either a manufacturing error or the inside race cavity was machined deeper for some reason. The cotter pin hole is almost high enough that it will not engage the castellated nut.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Since I tow close to 15,000 miles a year, I set up a regular routine to drive through JC in November and April each year and have my running gear checked. I just had new axles with nerverlubes/electric brakes installed, along with new 16" wheels and Michelin LTX225/75R16(E) tires. By having them check the running gear regularly and replace any part of it even on suspicion of wear (let's err on the side of caution), I don't have to worry about the running gear.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote