Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
OK, I get the door thing now. Sheesh I thought I was over anul locking And dead bolting my Lance campers rear door! Why on earth would they make a suicide door like that?
So the tire thing had me in a tailspin until I found the new and hopefully improved GY made in USA tire that should fit and has more than adaquite load capacity, thinking at this point to get it home on new throw away tires and then get it right with all the unkowns out of the way, including a new axle installed.
seller is getting me pictures of existing tires tomorrow so that will be another piece of the puzzle.
Thanks very much for your help, info and concern, it helps allot!
Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Congrats on your upcoming adventures. Another GT saved.

Great pictures of the door stopper's. We also made one of these based on a forum thread and it has worked well.

In addition to what everyone else said duct tape was our friend for our 61 GT pick up this summer in St Louis.

Based on the premises that it certainly needed new axel's we were concerned about the rough long ride home. And it was long and rough.

I duct taped up all extetior doors, vents and compartments. I duct taped all the interior cabinets near the hinges and fasteners so as to not shake a door off. I duct taped all mirrors onto their surfaces so as to not tear them off. I duct taped open the curtain partition thingy. I laid down the shower hand wand in a towel in the tub.

I removed my gas lamp to preserve it. I removed my front and back window screens and cleaned those windows. It is very convenient to be able to look all the way out and through the trailer while you are traveling.

In our case we even duct taped the actually entry door shut. There was practically no rubber seal molding left in the door frame. That causes gapping and a very loose fit in the door to trailer.

In our case (we have a door in door) enough continued airflow would rattle the door in door open. We only taped the forward, top and bottom of door where it could catch the wind. A tweeked door frame is very hard to fix.

We looked at bit janky going down the road but we did not have a door come open. We've had that experience before.

Remove the mound of duct tape soon after arrival home so it doesn't leave marks or remove your surfaces.

Enjoy and please come back on after and tell us how your trip went.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I want to thank everyone for the great info and support.........However, I spent too much time worrying about details I guess and someone else pulled the trigger an hour before I was going to make my move!
So the search continues. Yesterday the wife and I drove to and looked at the only possible trailer within a few hours from home, a 93 Sovereign 21' that was well worn and at $27k firm we passed.
Currently we have a 91 Excella 25' in our crosshairs that looks like a possible contender, and this one is only a 9 hour drive.

Alan
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sad but wasn't meant to be, another good find us on the horizon.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Out of curiosity, what was the asking price on the GT?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...21-new-mexico/
Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Huh... Well, it wasn't a steal, and it might have turned out to be a disappointment after a very long drive. Keep your eyes peeled--there will be many more trailers if you are patient.

good luck!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Well no... it was no steal, as the seller said she thought it was priced "fair" and I thought similar.
What I hope does not happen is it turns into a flip like the guy in Los Angeles who now has three for sale, template is... find trailer in good shape , polish exterior, install bamboo flooring, new cushions and maybe wheels and list for $25-$29K and call it a "rare collectable model".
Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Yes, that happens all the time. The flippers are on the prowl, so you have to be ready to move when you see something you like. You can prepare yourself by having your list of questions ready to be asked in the first communication, have cash in hand, and have your "recovery kit" ready to go. After this thread, it soulds like you should have made good progress on the recovery kit at least.

I have found in the past that the trailers that are usually flipper bait are the ones that are relatively cheap in the first place (ie., under $5-6k), that they know they can make some serious margin on with the flip. The smaller trailers generally have the highest demand as well. If you are willing to spend $12-15k, then you will probably have less competition from the flippers--but there will be all those other potential Airstreamers out there that are looking too.

good luck!