Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
What is running gear on trailer?

Running gear usually means motor,tranny,axle. Is balance on tire from Discount Tire good enough?
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Running gear

Hi Starcraft,
When I grew up "running gear" was a term used to describe the four wheeled frame and tongue of a farm implement that would carry either a flat rack for hay or a gravity dump wagon body for hauling grain. Here on the Airforums, it is a term often used as a tool to compel someone into buying something or cast uncertainty and doubt on their trailering experience.
Sometimes it is used to explain popped rivets, sagging outriggers, belly pan that is coming un-attached, cracks in interior or exterior skin and a few more things. I would say that the term "running gear" is a bit misleading. What we are really talking about is the proper balance of the rotating mass. The tires, wheels and hub and drum assemblies. Some people install "Centramatics" in an effort to keep their wheels and tires in balance continuously. I don't own them, but I think they may serve a useful purpose. High quality wheels and tires that are balanced dynamically (spin) are a minimum requirement. If you are truly looking for a complete balance of the rotating assembly you must have the hub and drum or hub and disc balanced at a machine shop that does precision machining as well as having the wheels and tires spin balanced at a tire shop such as Discount tire. People that sell Centramatics will tell you "Install Centramatics and be done with it" The same people will tell you that "Centramatics can only go so far to maintain balance" So that is why I believe if you are looking for completely balanced rotating assembly, the hubs must be balanced as well.
I just have my wheels and tires balanced at Discount tire annually.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Starcraft,

In the Auto world, "motor, tranny, axles" are usually referred to as the powertrain.

Here in Wally's world, it's more as Top described, Running gear=the rolling mass, plus the axles.

Round tires, balanced properly and good axles are all needed for safe running gear performance. Along with a properly balanced and level trailer, tow vehicle.

Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Running gear = axles, brakes, shocks, tires & wheels and related components used to keep the trailer running down the road.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
"Running gear" is used to descreibe the tire, wheel, hub and drum as an assembly.

Keeping that in balance, by what ever means, helps the trailer to have a "soft ride".

Good axle/axles also give the trailer a soft ride, but nothing can be done to a bad axle, except replacement. Actually the axle doesn't go bad, but the rubber rods in it do if not exercised, by use.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote