Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
What does a split rim look like?

I have looked several places to try and see if the rims on my 65 ambassador are split rims. I have no idea how to identify a split rim. I believe they quit using them around the time I was born so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if they are split rims do I just deflate the tires and remove them?
Thanks
Tbrom
tbrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a picture of one and how it comes apart.

Once the air is out of the tire they are safe. Getting rid of them if you have them is a good idea. It would be very hard to find a tire shop that would mount a tire on one.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello tbrom , The way to tell if you have a split rim is to look at the wheel
on the outer edge ,there will be what appears to be a separate yet connected ring to the wheel around the outer cirumference of the wheel and you will see a split ,or small gap in that ring .A regular wheel has nothing like that and is a one piece ,no gaps or anything ,looks solid from the lug nuts out to the edge.of the wheel a the tire. If they are splits ,raise the trailer and remove them ,you can let the air all the way out when the tire is off the ground ,no load on it ,but you can just remove them and get new wheels and tires ,letting the air out of course does remove any inner pressure ,so you will feel safer .just make sure they are deflated .the valve stem also on a split
will protrude out of an oval hole as it is an inner tube inside the tire ,they are usually long 2" or more and angle outword from the wheel .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Well ,there is the gap and the outer ring I had talked about in azflycasters picture ,better with a visual aid for sure.

Scott
Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Thumbs down Caution

A word of caution

Do not attempt to inflate a split rim / tire assembly on your own. The split ring / outer rim can become a projectile if it pops out of it's seat prematurley during inflation-causing serious personal injury.

Tire shops had a cage they placed these units inside when they were being inflated to protect the workman. Some shops may still have these cages and be willing to repair/inflate split rim setups.

Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Local shop DOES Split Rings as of 9/27/06

Hello all -

Was surprised and glad to see that the local tire shop WILL work on Split rims as of 9/27/06. Saw them working on Split Rims for a 50's something Dodge PowerWagon that was done up in FireEngine Porshe Red..... Killer looking truck!!!! All 4 wheels were shod with NEW rubber and all four rims were split.....!

Daughter had a piano lesson above the shop and the truck was gone before the lesson was over....

Will ask the tire shop owner about the truck/ split rims next time I'm there....!

As per all conversation on the forums this shop/place seems the exception rather than the rule as to working on these rims....

Will post as I get info!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info. I know the split rim can be dangerous and I am hauling the trailor home this week end. I wanted to be able to take precations if one of the tires goes down on the short trip.Thanks again.
Tbrom
Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Years & years ago (Hischool) I worked at a tire shop that repaired these split rims.
Those things were and still are literally killers, broker legs, arms, missing fingers and even death were not uncommon.

The tire cage was was made of several U shaped pieces of of 2 1/2" steel pipe closed off on top, bottom and one end, so many rims came off while airing the tires that the cage became egg shaped from the explosions.

The best way to handle those things is to NOT handle them.
Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Don is right on the money ,my old step van had 700-18 tires and splits .
My local tire shop installed the hercules bias tire regularly ,no injuries there
but finally i put on 19.5 wheels and tires in chrome ! ,and they worked so well
and really smooth ,alot of old split rims on trucks were really poor when it came to balance and a smooth ride ,hence :rides like a truck .Split rims are
better left in the past.

Scott
Old 09-30-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
It does have the split rims. What a project! It seems every time I log on I find more things to work on. I got it home and am going to dive in.
Tbrom