Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Vibration at 45 mph - finally solved

We purchased a used 2014 Flying Cloud 27FB Twin from the Airstream Dealer in Atlanta in July of this year. We had noticed a vibration between 45 mph and 55 mph. We had also purchased a new 2018 Ford Expedition as our TV.

I had tried balancing the tires twice. Once while on the road to NC and once by the Ford Dealer in Roswell, GA. We had the AS dealer check it out and they told us it was the TV, not the AS. They said when the hocked it up to one of their trucks, they couldn't;t feel it. I even had them take me for a ride when hooked to a Dodge 1500 and couldn't really feel it, but I wasn't behind the wheel, just a passenger. Convinced that it really was my TV, my next stop was to Ford. FYI - the Expedition drives smooth as can be without the AS. I also had all four tires balanced at Ford

Ford was very accommodating and spend almost 5 hours with me and our AS. They were able to connect a computer to our vehicle that my guess is can access sensors on the drive line etc to tell where the vibration was coming from. We determined that it had to be coming from the Airstream. They even let me tow our AS with one of the F!%) trucks that service had a loaners. When I towed with an F150, it was hard to fell the vibration, but it was there. This time I was driving. The Ford dealer even "Road Forced" Balanced our tires and said three of them were showing high road force, but were balanced.

While at Ford and taking the tires off to balance them, I spun each hub by hand and tried to see of one was catching. My drivers side rear hub when spun would move up and down, it seemed to be solid on the spindle, but was definitely not spinning symmetrical.

After calling Airstream tech support, they told me the axles were made by Dexter and even gave me serial numbers of the axles. I called Dexter and they referred me to a Dexter parts distributor and service center called "Atlanta Safety Brake" in Mableton, GA. Took it there this week and they verified that the Hub was manufactured and machined off center. Dexter said since it was out of the 2 year warranty, they couldn't cover. The tech also found that the shock that was on the out of round hub was also worn out, probably from all the vibration. All of the other Hubs were leaking grease from the Nev-R-Lube bearings.

Replaced all 4 Hubs, new Brakes, new shocks and new Good Year Endurance tires and picked it up yesterday. What a difference!!!! No vibration and towed super smooth.

What a relief to finally get to the bottom and have it fixed. My thanks to the Ford Dealer in Roswell for spending half a day to diagnose and they didn't even charge me. They didn't even charge me for the "Road Force" balancing of all four tires. Atlanta Safety Brake did a great job on all the Hub, Brake, Shocks and Tires.

I have added a pic of the hub so you can see how it was machined off center.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter Hub Off Center.pdf (6.06 MB, 123 views)
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I’d be all over Dexter to make them cover that!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
That is great that you got it fixed. Lots of work and effort but worth it in the end.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I called Dexter and asked them if they would help me out and they told me the warranty was only two years and the AS is five years old. They also said it would apply to the original owner only.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Unusual that nobody thought to inspect the hub runout after the repeated balance attempts.

I guess things have changed at Dexter...they replaced a set of brake shoes that failed with 3kmi and three Seasons on them. All I needed was a receipt and an RA#. No questions about the self install, which surprised me. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_44a.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	328078  
Old 11-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Contact "Trailer Life" Magazine,they have a "way" of getting things such as this resolved. Good Sam also has such a department.

This is NOT "Lemon Law"
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Your Ford dealer is awesome. Glad it’s sorted out.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Contact "Trailer Life" Magazine,they have a "way" of getting things such as this resolved. mike

+1. That was my first thought too.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Another idea, get the name of the previous owner and ask if they had noticed the vibration, Also ask why they had traded.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
wheel run out

I actually had the same situation on a truck with a rear brake drum. There was a wheel runout, so very small with the wheel on. So i decided to spin the wheel ,without the brake drum, wheel on the axle directly. Sure enough no runout. Put the brake drum back on ,the runout returned. I then noticed the brake drum center is plate metal, while the drum is cast iron. The plate ended up being installed crooked on the casting , when the two were combined. Installed a new drum and everything was fine.
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Utterly disappointing that Dexter would not cover this as it was clearly an issue in the manufacture of the hub. I would understand if it was something that just prematurely wore out and the warranty period was up, but this is quite different.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Based on everyones feedback, I am going to take another run at seeing if Dexter will cover. Keep you posted.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You would think dexter would make it right as this is their baby, they machined it, it didn’t wear this way...it darn sure didn’t get this way from sitting in one spot,LOL...maybe even as a good Will gesture...keep after them
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Talked to Dexter warranty department and they are sending me a claim form to fill out and hopefully they will cover. They did say that the warranty does not transfer to 2nd owners, but they said to get them all the info and they will take to upper management. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also talked to their engineering department and they confirmed is was machined wrong from day one from the pics I sent
Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsodf View Post
Talked to Dexter warranty department and they are sending me a claim form to fill out and hopefully they will cover. They did say that the warranty does not transfer to 2nd owners, but they said to get them all the info and they will take to upper management. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also talked to their engineering department and they confirmed is was machined wrong from day one from the pics I sent
That is the same procedure I had to go thru when they replaced my brake shoes. Pic's & recipes. 👍

Good Luck...keep posting on it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I had axle problems after 5000 miles on brand new unit. Called Dexter, they couldn't fix. Took it to a local axle repair. Bent axle (not my fault, but not sure how/why). Anyhow, sent receipt to Dexter and they covered it. Persistence counts!!
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Surely an obvious manufacturung fault woyld not ever be subject to limitation by warranty.
Maybe a concerted campaign on sicial media by a heap of airstream owners might get them to change their minds
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Picked up our 2015 23D International Serenity at Colonial in New Jersey in July 2015.

The trailer had come off the production line at Airstream in September of 2014 and was trucked on a flat bed to Colonial in October of 2014. It was just moved around their lot over the next eight to nine months.

I left Colonial and drove through Niagra Falls to CanAm in London, Ontario and then thru Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas into Texas in a direct line as possible.The total miles driven was about 2,000 miles from Colonial in New Jersey to Paradise, Tx.

Once at A&P Vintage Trailer Works to start modifications, I suggested we check the wheel bearings. One wheel bearing set was severely scored from lack of grease and the other three were barely lubricated. We ended up replacing the four sets with USA made Timken bearings and tossing the OEM cheap bearings in the trash.

I did not seek reimbursement as there were so many other Airstream defects we were correcting on my nickel so they would be fixed properly with the proper parts that this was chump change. This experience added to my belief that all RV makers buy from the absolute lowest bidders that must cut costs and corners to sell that cheaply.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Wow, congratulations on your persistence in getting to the root of the issue, wilsodf. That is machined WAY off. I’m surprised it made it out of the manufacturing facility so obviously flawed. You have a great Ford dealer. That’s a lesson in itself when choosing a tow vehicle.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I would love to hear dexter explain how the machining problem wasn't there when the parts left their plant. Are they suggesting that everyone that owns a Dexter product needs to have every dimension of all their parts checked? If so that sounds like Dexter wants customers to do wahtDexter refuses to do, that being do final quality inspection. If they want customers to do QA then they should be willing to pay for the effort (not holding my breath).