Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Using an IR Thermal Gun for Hub Temps

I've seen mention of using IR Thermal guns to check wheel hubs and tires temps when on the road. I have not seen any mention of what those temps should look like.

Can someone explain to this newbie what exactly I should be looking for temp wise when using an IR thermal gun?

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have no idea how normal this is, but over the course of a year towing on the Carlisle Radial Trail ST tires that came with my trailer from the PO, the normal tire temperature just after stopping was generally 15-20 degrees F above ambient air temperature. This is on trips starting in North Texas, often in really hot temperatures, but I have taken a few trips in pleasant temperatures as well.

I haven't towed enough with the new Michelins to know if they behave differently... ask me again when I get home from the Balloon Fiesta in mid October.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I have no idea how normal this is, but over the course of a year towing on the Carlisle Radial Trail ST tires that came with my trailer from the PO, the normal tire temperature just after stopping was generally 15-20 degrees F above ambient air temperature. This is on trips starting in North Texas, often in really hot temperatures, but I have taken a few trips in pleasant temperatures as well.

I haven't towed enough with the new Michelins to know if they behave differently... ask me again when I get home from the Balloon Fiesta in mid October.
Thanks, that's helpful. Balloon Fiesta! Now I'm jealous. I hope it's a wonderful trip.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer has wheel center caps [hub caps] so I can't get a hub reading. The few times that I checked my tires, they were around 120 degrees. A little hotter on the sunny side.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I just finished the Blue Ridge Parkway with ambient temps in the mid 80's. My wheel hubs were generally in the 96-100 range.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I shoot the sidewalls and the lug nuts (I also have center caps). The main thing I look for is 'differences' that may be a heads up to a problem.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I shoot the sidewalls and the lug nuts (I also have center caps). The main thing I look for is 'differences' that may be a heads up to a problem.

Nailed it. As long as all four wheels/tires are within a few degrees of each other, you're fairly safe. It's when one is 15-20 degrees higher that you have a concern.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
This is my same approach for using the IR gun.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Hot hot hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
I've seen mention of using IR Thermal guns to check wheel hubs and tires temps when on the road. I have not seen any mention of what those temps should look like.

Can someone explain to this newbie what exactly I should be looking for temp wise when using an IR thermal gun?

Pete
That's a good carribean song but not good for tires or hubs. I just towed back from Florida and found at 95 degrees towing between 60 and 65 my tires ran around 115-120 degrees but I discovered my left rear drum was 136, ding ding ding . You can shoot the hub next to the center cap, heat travels nicely on brake drums. It ran cooler each stop so I thought maybeeee the brake was adjusted to tight when they were packed in Cape Cod last year, fat chance, when it was pulled up north the bearing was tanish not silver, not good. New bearings all the way around for me.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Oh by the way it's a great tool to see if your double axle trailer is running level or more on one axle making the tire temps different, or if the air pressure is lower on one tire (it'll run hotter).
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I think I have a pretty good idea now of how to properly use and interpret the IR gun readings.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
I just had the bearings replaced on all four wheels and although only one was running hotter than the rest all had a brown tint indicating they were running a little hot or getting ready to wear out. The sad part is I had a wheel pulled in Florida to check if the PO really did have them lubed and Bates RV said oh they are fine, only 1000 miles later they're not?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Pete

Thanks for asking the question. It is amazing what I have been able to learn on this forum. I really appreciate the input.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
I just had the bearings replaced on all four wheels and although only one was running hotter than the rest all had a brown tint indicating they were running a little hot or getting ready to wear out. The sad part is I had a wheel pulled in Florida to check if the PO really did have them lubed and Bates RV said oh they are fine, only 1000 miles later they're not?
I wouldn't trust anything anyone said there. Just my personal biased opinion about the place.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I wouldn't trust anything anyone said there. Just my personal biased opinion about the place.
Reminds me of buying a used trailer from a dealer some years ago and paying extra to have the bearings inspected and repacked so I would be confident all was well.

A year later, I decided to pull the wheels and repack them and found that in every wheel the grease was hard and caked and the rollers were starting to spall off little bits of metal!

On the one hand I was happy to catch things (just) in time, but on the other hand it lowered my faith in humanity a bit. I'm sure those bearings had never been serviced since the trailer was new.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson, but more recently when we bought our present Airstream from an Airstream dealer (no longer in business I don't believe) I again paid extra to have the bearings repacked before picking up the tariler.

When I picked it up and reviewed the various invoices, there was one for the repack, but no charge for new grease seals.

When I questioned this I was told "We didn't need to change them."

Makes me suspicious!

I generally prefer to do my own repacks!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
HOTEL Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
If they changed their Service and Parts Managers (two clueless girls) it may have improved. I made an appt. for Jan 5th a month earlier to check my awning and wheel bearings since I just got the trailer and when I arrived the S/Mgr said oh we can't help you today, after coming from Naples I was a little miffed. They sent a guy out who came from Lazy Days RV and he didn't have a clue, then I asked is the rig set up right with the weight bars and they sent another guy out who said drive it and see how you feel (it was to high, needed a longer shank), dangerous condition. I'm a little picky being an ex-Mercedes factory guy but this store needs serious help, front and back.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
If they changed their Service and Parts Managers (two clueless girls) it may have improved. I made an appt. for Jan 5th a month earlier to check my awning and wheel bearings since I just got the trailer and when I arrived the S/Mgr said oh we can't help you today, after coming from Naples I was a little miffed. They sent a guy out who came from Lazy Days RV and he didn't have a clue, then I asked is the rig set up right with the weight bars and they sent another guy out who said drive it and see how you feel (it was to high, needed a longer shank), dangerous condition. I'm a little picky being an ex-Mercedes factory guy but this store needs serious help, front and back.
I can't tell you how disgusted I am with them time and time again. Unfortunately, I need them more than they need me. Total bozos. I haven't ever found one person to be helpful there. The last time I was there (about a month ago) I told myself I'd never step foot back on the premises.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I use the IR sensor pretty much every time I stop - as a part of my normal walk-around. I just look for differences. I also check to be everything is secure (even though I know it is).

Glad to have met you at the rally, Pete and Dan. See you on the road. Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote