Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Don, one consideration is whether to get clearcoated wheels or not. Although it may have change, when I was researching wheels, the Eagles were not clear coated. American Racing versions were clearcoated and have a reputation for being a top quality product. I'm glad I went with the AR's because polishing wheels is one job I can't get excited about.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Bob I finally got the A/AS home and took off one of the wheels.

Here is what I was able to measure. With the current 700x15 LT tires with good thread the diameter of the mounted tire is 29 1/4"

On the rim I followed your instructions and with the wheel facing down the measurement from the bolt mounting surface to the nearest face of the straight edge is 4". With the wheel facing up the measurement from the bolt mounting surface to the nearest face of the straight edge is 3". So I assume that would be a +1/2" offset? If that's correct then the wheel does not appaer to be the org 15x6 0 offset.

Thanks

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
The Eagle Alloy wheels are on the way. Discount Tire ordered them for me with no shipping cost. They should be in next week and then will have the BF Goodrich commercial TA mounted, balanced and installed. Discount Tire has a chrome plated lug bolt that looks real good. The end looks just like a chrome lug nut. I might go with these rather than the studs and lug nuts.

Details and pictures to follow next week.

Don
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
New Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
The Eagle Alloy wheels are on the way. Discount Tire has a chrome plated lug bolt that looks real good. Don
The 16" Eagle Alloy wheels and BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires have been installed. As it turned out Discount Tire did not have a chrome plated "Lug Bolt" that would work. So the wheel studs that I ordered were installed.

The 16" wheels and tires fit perfect on my 1976 31' Sovereign. No problems at all with clearances in the wheel well. The BF Goodrich tire is the same diameter as the old 700/15 LT tires that came standard on the 1976 A/S/.

Here some pictures of the installation.

As you can see by looking at the new tire next to the old tire they are right at the same height, about 29.4. The new tire is a little wider but did not pose a problem in fitting in the wheel well with room to spare. We installed the wheel studs with locktight red and used chrome lug nuts and wheel locks. There was quite crowd watching all of this at Discount Tire and everyone liked the end results.

Thanks for all of the feedback and input from everyone during this project.

I can provide full details on the tire, wheel and stud specs if anyone is interesed, just let me know.

Don Hardman
1976 31' A/S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire-comparison.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	57654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire-2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	57655  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel-studs.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	57656   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel-4.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	57657  

Old 04-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #25

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
I can provide full details on the tire, wheel and stud specs if anyone is interesed, just let me know.

Don Hardman
1976 31' A/S
Please do. I'm about to do the whole basket on our Globetrotter; axles, wheels, brakes and tires.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
More details

Here are more details on the tires, wheels and wheel studs that I installed on my 1976 31' Sovereign. I am providing this for informational purposes for those that may be interested. There are many threads on wheels and tire choices and other members of this forum that can provide valuable input. So search and do your own research. This worked very well for me and my Airstream but may not suite your own Airstream.

The Tires are BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT225/75R16/E. Adjust the PSI to match the weight of your trailer.

BFGoodrich Tires | Commercial T/A® All Season | Tire Sizes & Specs

The wheels are from Eagle Alloy
0589-7766 16X7 6 on 5.5 +8 offset

Eagle Alloy Wheels Series 058

My 1976 A/S had wheel bolts so I needed to convert them to wheel studs so that I could use the proper Chrome lug nuts. I got the 1/2" wheel studs from E-Trailer and also used Permatex Locktite Red High Strenght Threadlocker.

Replacement Wheel Stud, Screw-In, 1/2" x 2" 25-53 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

I used Gorilla chrome lug nuts and wheel locks. The McGard lug nuts and wheel locks would also be a good choice.

As indicated there are other threads on this subject so search and do your own research before proceeding. This worked very well for me, but may not suit your Airstream.

Don Hardman
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #27

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Great! Thanks, Don. Much appreciated.

Craig
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

yuma , Arizona
The MB Wheels-72 are exactly what I was looking at for mine. (84 Soveriegn) Which ones did you finally go with and do you have any pics of the finished look?
I thought these would look great on mine, just got done giving the entire trailer a full polish (taking clear coat off).
Rolf

Quote:
I am looking at the Eagle Alloy wheel 0589-7766 and the MB 72 wheels below that are Truck wheels. Both come in a 16" 6-5.5 bolt pattern with a 4.25 bore. The weight rating are in excess of 2600 lbs. Is there a problem in using truck tires on the A/S with the Goodrich commercial T/A tires.

Eagle Alloy Wheels Series 058

MB Wheels - 72

The other option is below which is a trailer wheel

Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: SERIES #03 Size: 16 x 7 Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5 Bore Size: 4.25 Load Rating: 3200 lbs @ 80 PSI Offset: -8mm

Thanks Don
themunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

yuma , Arizona
Just re-read your thread. I like the pics. Exactly what I was looking for. Can you send me your tire and wheel specs so I can order from our local guys? (I promise I won't park next to you)

Thanks,
Rolf

Quote:
The 16" Eagle Alloy wheels and BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires have been installed. As it turned out Discount Tire did not have a chrome plated "Lug Bolt" that would work. So the wheel studs that I ordered were installed.

The 16" wheels and tires fit perfect on my 1976 31' Sovereign. No problems at all with clearances in the wheel well. The BF Goodrich tire is the same diameter as the old 700/15 LT tires that came standard on the 1976 A/S/.

Here some pictures of the installation.

As you can see by looking at the new tire next to the old tire they are right at the same height, about 29.4. The new tire is a little wider but did not pose a problem in fitting in the wheel well with room to spare. We installed the wheel studs with locktight red and used chrome lug nuts and wheel locks. There was quite crowd watching all of this at Discount Tire and everyone liked the end results.

Thanks for all of the feedback and input from everyone during this project.

Don Hardman
1976 31' A/S
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Don-

Karma to you for putting this info together in one place!

I'm making the switch to 16", too.

One quick question, did you order a steel wheel for the spare, or another aluminum one? I'm tempted to do the later since it's only $50 more and I could rotate the tire in for wear.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
One quick question, did you order a steel wheel for the spare, or another aluminum one?
Thansk for the Karma.

I took the easy way out for now, I didn't do anything. I have had Airstream trailers going back to 1985 and although I have always had a spare tire I have never used it. If I have a flat I think I could either remove the tire and take it somewhere to be fixed, or pull the trailer for a short distance on 3 wheels if need be. I still have the old i5" spare so I guess I could put cheaper tire on it just to have something to pull the trailer for a short distance at low speed that were necessary.

Don
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Don-

I decided to go with the Eagle Alloy wheels. I ordered one to make sure it would fit and it did. I'm also getting the BFG Commercial T/A's. I see there are two different dome style center caps available: 4.15" and 3.00" tall. Which one did use?
WBCCI #8481
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
Don-

I decided to go with the Eagle Alloy wheels. I ordered one to make sure it would fit and it did. I'm also getting the BFG Commercial T/A's. I see there are two different dome style center caps available: 4.15" and 3.00" tall. Which one did use?
I did not know that there were 2 sizes. They sent the caps with the wheels.

Don
Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
If all else fails, measure!!! If I understand their system correctly, then the measurement is from the hub face to the top of the cap. My axles and dust caps measure 3.5". My old wheel caps measure 4". I think I'll go with the 4.15" ones. I wish they had thrown these in with the wheels. For the price I paid, they should have!
WBCCI #8481
Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

yuma , Arizona
I had to go with the larger wheelcap as they stated that the hub was too long. Actually they are same size as an F350 or similar. The shorter ones were too short for the dust caps. They are inline with the rim. Out of all four tires, I have one on the left side front that has wee space and may rub on the inside. I figure that after a good run, that inside wall will wear back if there is any rubbing, my opinion, not a major deal. I wish you could click the torsion bars a bit, a 1/2" higher would be perfect. Maybe when I change out the axles someday. As long as you don't run hard on unpaved roads should be fine. I still like the way they look with the body polished. shiney twinkie.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tire Clearance

Define "wee space"?
Nothing should be touching the tire.
The inside wall "wearing back" will cause a weak spot in the tire.
If you like I'll measure the clearances on mine (BFG Commercial T/As/Eagle Alloy wheels/nitrogen, for two seasons now) and get back to you with that info.
My unit came origionally with the 7.00-15 8 ply and had ST225/75R15s on it when I bought it, so even though I went to a 1 inch wider wheel the dimensions of the BFG were within the dimentional parameters of the 7.00-15/ST225/75R15 tires.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
The "Wee Space" Concern

I think you mean between the wheel and the metal fender well (aka solid outrigger) for the front wheel. There is not much space there, especially if the axles are sagged! I know from experience! As Don mentioned earlier in the thread (I believe), these tires are the same diameter as the 7.00R15 Michelins that were OEM and came off my trailer after I bought it (15 years old--the tires, not the trailer--and still going strong, I might add!). The aluminum trim around the well well opening dips down in front of that fender well had been dislodged when I got my trailer. Probably from tire contact.
WBCCI #8481
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Nuts! Lug nuts, that is...

I'm converting to disc brakes, so some of this may not apply to the original setup, BUT. I happened to notice that the Eagle Alloy 0580-7766-2-AA wheels have pretty small recessed openings for the lug nuts. Small enough that the standard acorn, open ended lug nuts that came with my Kodiak brakes will just fit, but forget about getting a standard socket over them! Wierd

OK, so here's where it gets interesting. If you have 1/2" studs, that translates to 13/16" hex lug nut. The recessed opening is roughly 1-1/8" on these wheels. No way are you getting a 13/16" impact socket OR standard 4-way lug wrench in there. In fact, even my 3/4" impact socket won't fit. The 11/16" will fit, but I don't think they make them small. Interesting.

The studs seem to fit through the holes themselves just fine with what looks like the standard amount of clearance between the hole and the stud.

I see they make "bulge acorn" nuts that are for 1/2" stud, but are 3/4" hex instead of 13/16". Better, but maybe not ideal.

You may ask, why am I worrying about this? Just take it to a tire store! Well, my local tire store people are not the brightest bulbs, let's leave it at that!
WBCCI #8481
Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Lug nuts

Get the long lug nuts form SouthWest wheel, that will take care of the problem.
I had to spin/grind down a good Craftsman 4 way lug wrench to clear the center cap. If not you are forced to use a standard thin wall Craftsman Deep socket on an extension.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

yuma , Arizona
No nothing is actually rubbing the tire. On that front wheel, I could not get my finger through there, but there is space. On the opposite side however, not the case, plenty of room. Problem I am wondering is how much give the torsions will allow on a bump.
It may have been the same problem with the other tire before I changed them out to the T/A's. Never looked at them closely, but they were two years old and did not appear to be any damage or hints of damage. Tire size the same, just a bigger rim. I have to get under there and really get a good look. Is the inside wheel well or splash guard plastic or alum? Strange that it is only one tire out of four. I might have to drag it around the streets in town and then check for rub marks (after going through dips and such). I just wish I could crank the torsion down a bit similiar to a front end 2 wheel drive truck. But......