Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Kaplan , Louisiana
I have been using the Pressure Pro for the last 13 years and have been very satisfied. that system has saved me from having a tire blow many times on the open road. It is a system that is easy to install and easy to keep up with. Go on line and look up Pressure Pro.com and you will get all the info or contact Deborah Gerdes at gerdes_deborah@doranmfg.com.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have used the "Hawkshead" TPMS on our Airstream for about 5 years - very happy with it. You can change the batteries on the remote sensors, and also it monitors both temperature and pressure. Cost of the system was toward the lower end of the various systems I looked at.

Because I was happy with it, I bought a second system which I now use on our motorcycle. It works equally well.

About the only aspect I am not thrilled with is that according to the supplier, the rechargeable lithium-ion battery used in the monitor (not the sensors) is not replaceable - they do not sell replacement batteries and suggest buying a new monitor at $110 instead!

Even with a dead battery the monitor still works however when plugged into the 12vdc in your tow vehicle.

Also, I later found that I was able to buy a suitable replacement battery on Ebay for about $6 and install it. You do need to take the monitor apart and solder in the battery however.
Not difficult!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
external sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Is it because of the airflow or is it because they're not inside the tire? Maybe both?

My internal TSTs usually rise 30 degrees above ambient and pressure rises less than 10% above the cold reading if at or near highway speeds. Does your tire pressure rise 5-10%?
Yes, our TST external sensors report a pressure rise on every trip, in the range 5-10%. The temperature does rise a little, but not the 30 degrees reported by Gary H (with internal sensors). The sun also can boost the temp a bit.

I think both factors you mention (sensor surrounded by outside air, and the sensor sampling air that is at the far end of the skinny little valve stem) affect the temp reading with external sensors.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Yes, our TST external sensors report a pressure rise on every trip, in the range 5-10%. The temperature does rise a little, but not the 30 degrees reported by Gary H (with internal sensors). The sun also can boost the temp a bit.

I think both factors you mention (sensor surrounded by outside air, and the sensor sampling air that is at the far end of the skinny little valve stem) affect the temp reading with external sensors.
I've noted the same minor temperature changes as Ssquared and others with the stem mounted sensors on my TST, and have been suspicious of the temperature reading for the reasons stated. I would think that a sensor mounted inside the rim would yield a more accurate temperature reading. However, if the pressure is good, I wonder if the temperature reading is really all that important??
Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Kaplan , Louisiana
Smile

I have had a tire pressure in use for the last 13 years. It is call Pressure Pro originally from Doran Mfg. This system is easy to install and use. It has saved me a number of times when a tire would lose air pressure below 58 lbs and the warning beep would off. With this system you have time to pull off the roadway and keep the low pressure tire from blowing-up. You can contact Degorah Gerdes at gerdes_deborah@doranmfg.com for more information. I would not travel anywhere without this system on my trailer tires. I have used 2 sets of the tire monitors. Hope this helps out.

Sincerely, John Landry #5882
Old 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Steve reports the same 30 degree rise. When I stop I have used an IR thermometer to compare temps. Tread temps are within a degree or two of what is showing on the TST.

In the morning the sunny side of the trailer starts with higher temps. Evens out as you are driving.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post

...snip...
However, if the pressure is good, I wonder if the temperature reading is really all that important??
I wonder the same. The internal TPMS on my truck (from the factory) only reports pressure. I suppose it's reasonable to assume if there was a significant rise in pressure (above the 10% I see on my trailer tires) I could assume it's heating up (is there something else that would spike the pressure? ) so that would give the same advanced notice.

Probably just a convenience to be sure when you connect your trailer, you can get a read on the cold temps of the tires without putting a gauge on each one?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #22
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
And in case someone has not this before:

The rule of thumb was that you don't want anything over a 10% build up of pressure. Less is OK.

Between 10% and 15% build up, you need to take some action, like a larger size or more inflation pressure.

And above 15%, you need to take immediate action. Stop and let things cool down (an hour), then drive at a lower speed, until you can make a change.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I have the Tire Minder system and have been very happy with it. Easy to install, set up and use.
extiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We have the TST stem-mounted flow-thru sensors, metal valve stems, and a repeater mounted near the propane tanks.

We've been very pleased thus far, with one pro-tip: if you are going to check the torque on your lug nuts, remove the sensor before you start on that wheel. Then, put the sensor back on when you're done.

During such an exercise, the torque wrench handle can easily whack a flow-thru sensor. Putting 110 ft-lbs of torque on a lug nut is more than enough pressure from the handle to damage a sensor and start it leaking. That's especially true if you have metal valve stems that don't flex. Don't ask me how I know this.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone with internal sensors to avoid that kind of thing. After all, I had the tires removed and re-mounted to add metal valve stems, so I didn't save on tire mounting fees. In any case, we're extremely pleased to have a TPMS on our trailer.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Kaplan , Louisiana
Kimball

go to pressure pro. com. that is the best tire pressure monitoring system on the market. A little expensive but works extremely well.
Later, John
Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
I bought the TST system. Tried to install it today, and they don't fit with my chrome valve extenders - there isn't enough room between the valve stem and the hub of the wheel (I have the stock 15" wheels on my 2006 25'FB). Has anyone come across this and found a way around it?