Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post

...snip...
However, if the pressure is good, I wonder if the temperature reading is really all that important??
I wonder the same. The internal TPMS on my truck (from the factory) only reports pressure. I suppose it's reasonable to assume if there was a significant rise in pressure (above the 10% I see on my trailer tires) I could assume it's heating up (is there something else that would spike the pressure? ) so that would give the same advanced notice.

Probably just a convenience to be sure when you connect your trailer, you can get a read on the cold temps of the tires without putting a gauge on each one?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #22
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
And in case someone has not this before:

The rule of thumb was that you don't want anything over a 10% build up of pressure. Less is OK.

Between 10% and 15% build up, you need to take some action, like a larger size or more inflation pressure.

And above 15%, you need to take immediate action. Stop and let things cool down (an hour), then drive at a lower speed, until you can make a change.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I have the Tire Minder system and have been very happy with it. Easy to install, set up and use.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have the TST stem-mounted flow-thru sensors, metal valve stems, and a repeater mounted near the propane tanks.

We've been very pleased thus far, with one pro-tip: if you are going to check the torque on your lug nuts, remove the sensor before you start on that wheel. Then, put the sensor back on when you're done.

During such an exercise, the torque wrench handle can easily whack a flow-thru sensor. Putting 110 ft-lbs of torque on a lug nut is more than enough pressure from the handle to damage a sensor and start it leaking. That's especially true if you have metal valve stems that don't flex. Don't ask me how I know this.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone with internal sensors to avoid that kind of thing. After all, I had the tires removed and re-mounted to add metal valve stems, so I didn't save on tire mounting fees. In any case, we're extremely pleased to have a TPMS on our trailer.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Kaplan , Louisiana
Kimball

go to pressure pro. com. that is the best tire pressure monitoring system on the market. A little expensive but works extremely well.
Later, John
jmland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
I bought the TST system. Tried to install it today, and they don't fit with my chrome valve extenders - there isn't enough room between the valve stem and the hub of the wheel (I have the stock 15" wheels on my 2006 25'FB). Has anyone come across this and found a way around it?
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote