Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #121
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Anybody running centramatics balancers on their TV?
I can think of a reason not to. I keep my tires balanced and if I feel an inbalance it is time to investigate. If you are in tune with your vehicle many times you will notice a slight imbalance and it will warn you of an impending tire failure, like a tread separation. This happened to me twice as my BFG Rugged Terrains came apart. Each time I felt a slight imbalance and pulled over to investigate and found a slight out of round condition. Each time I put the spare on and likely saved myself from a catastrophic failure. With Centramatic I don't believe I would have had this warning.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
^^^ I never thought of that, although I did experience that very thing on a trip across the country back in ‘75 (on a Ford sedan). There was no question a belt failed internally and I replaced the bad tire with the spare immediately.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Post 111 is interesting.

However, in my experience with three Airstream trailers, Airstream apparently sources parts from the absolute lowest bidder they can find. I would expect them to be using the lowest price point axles with brakes as well.

So I am glad I put Centramatic wheel balancers on the three units as well as the tow vehicle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #124
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Switz - your point is key. We have very limited information as to specification beyond the experience of forum members. Centramatics address that circumstance and eliminate variability to deliver balanced rotating assemblies for a reasonable one time expenditure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I can think of a reason not to. I keep my tires balanced and if I feel an inbalance it is time to investigate. If you are in tune with your vehicle many times you will notice a slight imbalance and it will warn you of an impending tire failure, like a tread separation. This happened to me twice as my BFG Rugged Terrains came apart. Each time I felt a slight imbalance and pulled over to investigate and found a slight out of round condition. Each time I put the spare on and likely saved myself from a catastrophic failure. With Centramatic I don't believe I would have had this warning.

Good point for sure about tire failure. But I feel the benefit of constant balancing outweighs possible and infrequent tire failure. I mitigate that now by visual inspection before trips and at some stops, even when everything seems ok.

Just ordered Centramatics today for my F250 Super Duty. Will report back on how they do.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Centramatics arrived yesterday. Hope to get them hung on the F250 soonish...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
So I am a bit confused. Did I do something wrong by adding internal TPMS and having the wheels balanced and replacing them on the axel? Are the wheels suppose to be balanced on the axels?
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #128
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
So I am a bit confused. Did I do something wrong by adding internal TPMS and having the wheels balanced and replacing them on the axel? Are the wheels suppose to be balanced on the axels?
No you have done the correct thing. This thread has gotten somewhat arcane. Install balanced tire/wheel sets. Add Centramatics if desired to make up for any imbalance. Get on with your day!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
pcskier is correct - apologies for any confusion.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Beware that Discount Tire and possibly other tire shops will not rotate or balance tires on vehicles with Centramatics installed. They consider anything installed between the wheel and hub to be a safety issue.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #131
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Beware that Discount Tire and possibly other tire shops will not rotate or balance tires on vehicles with Centramatics installed. They consider anything installed between the wheel and hub to be a safety issue.

Wow. I took mine wheels in off the trailer so I didn't encounter any questions. Though I must admit when I installed them I was curious about the extra sheet of steel between the wheel and hub. Obviously the wheels are offset just a bit. And...would it impact required torque values? I just torqued to 110 as specified and moved on. But it's a valid question I think.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #132
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
That hard to believe...they just mounted & balanced my new GYE's and I made sure they knew I have the Centramatics installed. There is nothing 'unsafe' about a correctly installed set of CM balancers. The minimal thickness has nil effect on wheel offset.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
That hard to believe...they just mounted & balanced my new GYE's and I made sure they knew I have the Centramatics installed. There is nothing 'unsafe' about a correctly installed set of CM balancers. The minimal thickness has nil effect on wheel offset.

Bob

[emoji631]

I let them know the Centramatics were installed on my F250 before they started work. The discount tire guy did not like the fact that there was “extra metal” between the hub and the wheel. He felt it was unsafe.

After a short debate we agreed that they would rotate and balance the tires. If they still felt it was a safety issue and could prove it by pointing to some uneven wear or metal fatigue or cracks or something else that we would have another discussion.

Believing that they would find no such issues I figured it would not be a problem. Silly me.

They balanced the tires and were about to rotate and remount them.... and then all the work paused.... I watched them point at and discuss the Centramatics.

After about 15 minutes they came to tell me they would not re-mount the tires with the Centramatics installed.

I politely asked them to prove to me as previously discussed that the Centramatics were not safe. They could not. I asked them to show me a documented corporate policy which they could not do. They then admitted it was “just their opinion” that it was a safety issue.

At this point it was apparent that they were not going to follow their original agreement to prove to me they were unsafe.

As we are leaving on our first long trip this weekend and it’s very difficult to drive a truck without tires I capitulated and allowed them to remove the Centramatics so they would re-install the tires.

I simply won’t visit that particular Discount Tire again.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #134
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
I figured that may have been a one-off observation.
I have heard the argument about the thickness causing problems with offset but have not heard of the less than 1/8" causing interference concerns. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I didn't have any issues with the Discount Tire store in Casa Grande AZ. They had installed new tires on my Ram 2500HD and I pointed out the CM’s to them. Their techs thought it was a “cool” product.

Costco, on the other hand, flatly refused to supply and install tires where there CM’s were used. I called CM and they said that they would call Costco.

I’ve been running CM’s now for about 5 years. It makes a huge difference for my TV, as it is an older Dodge Ram 2500HD that has drum brakes on the rear axle. Prior to using the CM’s, there was always vibration.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Sounds like individual tire guys thinking too much.

It’s always a good idea to keep an eye on everything they do.

Here’s one of my Discount Tire story's:

Been going to same location for years. Took my Airstream to have Michelin’s put on. Showed tire guy *exactly* where to jack the trailer. Reiterated several times. “This is the only place to jack the trailer for each side.”
Walk back to waiting room. Grab a water. Walk back to check on progress. Tire guy has floor jack with a spacer block on the frame between the axles.

Blew my stack. Manager runs over. They lower jack. Spacer block had shifted right into the fresh water cover putting a nice big dent in it.

They paid the repair bill at Jackson Center, and they were very quick about it.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
I spoke today with the Director of Technical Support at Centramatics today, Jerry Robertson. He stated that they have seen no issues when the proper installation procedures and torque specs are followed. He will be sending me an email as well that I plan to share with Discount Tire in Tucson. Its also great to hear that blkmagikca had Discount Tire in Casa Grange not give them a problem.

Jerry's exact quote was that he thought the Direct Tire guy was "ignorant". Quite funny actually.

Jerry has a sister who has them on her 2017 Airstream and has had no issues and he stated there is a large community of Airstreamers who use them (as we know).

I will be reinstalling them myself on the F250 and purchasing them for the AS.
UncleBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #138
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Had our local Discount Tire in Eugene, OR install the Centramatics I had purchased separately as well as what I purchased from them (Sendell wheels, Michelin tires, and Dill TPMS) on our Airstream. Nothing but interest shown in the Centramatics. Perhaps because I had just spent so much with them [emoji4]!
Funny, and frustrating, story that later happened. I brought the Airstream back to have a TPMS sensor put in a new tire after having hit a curb and ruining the old tire. A young guy told me they wouldn’t work on it because they had never sold the Dill system. I literally looked at him slack jawed. Repeated in a kind way that I had purchased the system from them. He told me more forcefully they had never sold Dill. I then said as calmly as I could to check your records or speak with your manager because I purchased the system from you. He came back and without an apology completed the job.
Youth!
Another story; the replacement tire we purchased from Costco during a trip. Costco would sell us the mounted tire on our wheel but would not install the wheel on our Airstream (company policy). It was closing time and two employees helped us on their own after-hours time in the parking lot. Still a fond memory of those two young folks helping us after a long day of work. Youth! [emoji4]
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #139
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have heard stories of Costco not mounting anything other than an ST tire on a trailer. That may have changed in the past decade because I have not seen this kind of situation mentioned lately.

Bring in the wheels - no problem with a non-ST tire.

The legal system has gotten to the point that a lot of people run scared to do work that isn't exactly stock.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
I let them know the Centramatics were installed on my F250 before they started work. The discount tire guy did not like the fact that there was “extra metal” between the hub and the wheel. He felt it was unsafe.

After a short debate we agreed that they would rotate and balance the tires. If they still felt it was a safety issue and could prove it by pointing to some uneven wear or metal fatigue or cracks or something else that we would have another discussion.

Believing that they would find no such issues I figured it would not be a problem. Silly me.

They balanced the tires and were about to rotate and remount them.... and then all the work paused.... I watched them point at and discuss the Centramatics.

After about 15 minutes they came to tell me they would not re-mount the tires with the Centramatics installed.

I politely asked them to prove to me as previously discussed that the Centramatics were not safe. They could not. I asked them to show me a documented corporate policy which they could not do. They then admitted it was “just their opinion” that it was a safety issue.

At this point it was apparent that they were not going to follow their original agreement to prove to me they were unsafe.

As we are leaving on our first long trip this weekend and it’s very difficult to drive a truck without tires I capitulated and allowed them to remove the Centramatics so they would re-install the tires.

I simply won’t visit that particular Discount Tire again.
Completely absurd. How many of these tire dealers carry aftermarket wheels that require wheel spacers in order to accomodate the different offset from the stock rims. And they have no problem supplying and installing those between the hub and the wheel.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hubcaps | Top | Mud flaps »