Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Yes I have them on my tow vehicle. It makes the tires wear evenly, no cupping. I even have them on the steer tires of our farm semis. Also on my 1975 Dodge Bighorn antique truck.
I have drank the Koolaid and am most happy with the results. Money well spent.
Hickory
YMMV
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #102
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
-- snip -- You're convinced that Thor takes the axles apart, matches them with the tires and rims, then balances everything as a unit? -- snip --
No, I think AS specifies individually balanced components and the linked information is out of date. But FYI, the process of balancing the rotating components as a set is not as you describe. Here are a couple of links that provide info.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-perfect.html

What I am convinced of, is that whatever balance is done prior, degrades with use. That makes a real time balancing device worth considering. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
No, I think AS specifies individually balanced components and the linked information is out of date. But FYI, the process of balancing the rotating components as a set is not as you describe. Here are a couple of links that provide info.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-perfect.html

What I am convinced of, is that whatever balance is done prior, degrades with use. That makes a real time balancing device worth considering. Pat
I have never seen any evidence of any balancing on any dexter product. Could you provide pictures of drums or rotors with balance drilling or weights?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #104
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
-- snip -- Could you provide pictures of drums or rotors with balance drilling or weights?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...-179353-2.html See post #28 Not my post, but it looks like what you want to see.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...-179353-2.html See post #28 Not my post, but it looks like what you want to see.
Sorry, that's not an AS nor a Dexter component...per the poster.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #106
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Sorry, that's not an AS nor a Dexter component...per the poster.
True, but the post also says the ones that came on his AS were factory balanced. Now my understanding of factory is the manufacturer. However, maybe the reference was to the AS factory and indicates a balance after assembly.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
True, but the post also says the ones that came on his AS were factory balanced. Now my understanding of factory is the manufacturer. However, maybe the reference was to the AS factory and indicates a balance after assembly.
Yeah, I know what he says, but (unless he has old Henschens...for which I have no experience) I have never seen a Dexter drum (dozens) in my hand which has had any attempt at balancing. I've only inspected four Dexter (mine) rotors. They have no attempt at balancing either.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As mentioned earlier, I have the Centramatic wheel balancers on all four wheels on my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins as well as my Airstreams. Anything tp remove out of balance vibration is good for all of the suspension components.

They have a website one can check to see if there is a compatible version for a specific tow vehicle.

http://www.centramatic.com

Many over the road trucks use them.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Just FIW.

Our 2015 23D International Serenity came with insufficient grease in the four wheel bearings from Dexter. Evidently the Airstream factory does NOT check whether they are properly assembled before attaching the axles to the frame.

One set was completely scored. Since the trailer came to Colonial on a flat bed with another 23D, I put all the mileage on the trailer, about 2,000 miles, taking it from the dealer to Paradise, TX where the modifications were done. One of the first things we checked were the wheel bearings. We replaced all four sets with USA made Timken bearings:

Timken Set 4 ($7.70) and Set 17 ($8.80) wheel bearings
Timken 441151 ($2.98) bearing seal
ordered from Amazon for 10” brake drum and axles

We replaced the backing plates to have auto-adjust capability for the drum brakes. They were about a $15 higher price than the non-adjust backing plates. This $60 savings on an upper trim line model retailing for over $70,000.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #110
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
-- snip -- have no attempt at balancing -- snip --.
Were those drums out of balance?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #111
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Is it possible that this is how drums are produced within a balance tolerance and have no secondary balancing machining or welding? Given the high number of drums produced, an effective mold and machining process that does not require a secondary balancing operation seems a cost effective investment. Tight mold configuration control coupled with machining that eliminates imbalance while turning the brake shoe contact surface and aligning the mounting holes concentric with the contact surface would achieve that end.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5138757A/en

Disclaimer - no knowledge of industry practice beyond a Google search. However, can not believe any engineer or quality manager would sign off on a rotating assembly that did not have and meet a balancing specification. Pat
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Is it possible that this is how drums are produced within a balance tolerance and have no secondary balancing machining or welding? Given the high number of drums produced, an effective mold and machining process that does not require a secondary balancing operation seems a cost effective investment. Tight mold configuration control coupled with machining that eliminates imbalance while turning the brake shoe contact surface and aligning the mounting holes concentric with the contact surface would achieve that end.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5138757A/en

Disclaimer - no knowledge of industry practice beyond a Google search. However, can not believe any engineer or quality manager would sign off on a rotating assembly that did not have and meet a balancing specification. Pat
Well, that would be nice, but trailer axle manufacturing isn't that tight, I'm afraid. There are old threads about this..like 7 or 8 years old. All I can say is even after tire and wheel balancing, there was still evidence of stuff moving around. A camera placed on the bed would vibrate around. After centramatics were installed, camera shake was gone and even towels stay in place.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #113
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
I have never seen a Dexter drum (dozens) in my hand which has had any attempt at balancing. I've only inspected four Dexter (mine) rotors. They have no attempt at balancing either.
The need to balance a brake rotor is much less than a brake drum. Most rotors have less mass than a drum. And the mass of a rotor is closer to the rotating center than a drum. A drum has the braking surface spread over some inches over the center of the rotating mass. A rotor usually has most of it's mass in a band of an inch or so over the center of the rotating mass.

Nearly all of my experience is from car and light truck manufacturing. Where most drums were balanced with weights and zero rotors were balanced.

>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
GM balances rotors. They are little rolls of steel forced into the ventilation slots. Don't think I've ever seen a non-ventilated rotor balanced.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #115
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tires aren’t perfectly round, though some a damned close.

Anyone remember a tire shaver? Use almost standard for delivery of luxury cars.

Point is that vibration reduction is worth pursuing. Too many of us can testify to Centramatic effectiveness.

I can walk thru any truckstop and find many of these installed. Vibration in big trucks induces fatigue more than “rough ride”.

Best shock absorbers and CM are a great combination.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Anybody running centramatics balancers on their TV?

Yes I have Centramatics on my tow vehicle, the Airstream and an older truck. They seem to work as advertised. The Firestone Transforce AT tires on my tow vehicle seem to be wearing very evenly. These tires were balanced at the tire shop but there isn't much weight attached to the rims so they must have been a decently made tire from the start.
A few years ago my truck developed a vibration/shake when it had Michelin tires. I finally tracked it down to the Centramics going bad. The balancing media quit moving around within the tube and stayed in one place creating a very bad imbalance situation. Centramatic did warranty the old ones and sent me some new ones. A nice side benefit of the Centramatic is that it keeps a little bit more of the brake dust off the rims.
Be certain to inspect the Centramatics anytime you have the wheel off the trailer or tow vehicle to make sure the media is still freely moving around.
If the truck didn't have the internal TPMS sensors I would probably have switched to balance beads. I do have the balance beads in some utility trailer tires that I mounted myself. I think the beads would do a better job at balancing being farther out from the hub.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
My original QUESTION was Does anyone use Centramatics on their Tow Vehicle? I have them on my Airstream and they work great. I’ve all ready drank that Koolaid. I’m thinking about adding them to my TV ( 2016 GMC 2500 Duramax Denali) at my upcoming tire change.
The set they sent me for my 2003 Ford E-350 didn't fit. Returned 'em.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #118
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seemed worth the time to contact Dexter.

Response from Dexter. Information <Information@dexteraxle.com>
- Dexter brake drums and trailer drums in general are not balanced. Tight tolerances in the drum machining keeps them true. - Jim Miller / Dexter Axle

Looks like you can take the info too ways. 1) RV tolerances are big enough that manufacturing process produces an acceptable part. 2) Balancing is not required, because the machining process eliminates the need for a separate balance operation.

Pat
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Notice that Dexter never said they balanced the drums, just machined them. There is a difference between the two activities.

We even installed Centramatic wheel balancers on the 2014 31' Classic that was converted to Disc brakes.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #120
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Switz - take note of post #111. Maybe, maybe not. Certainly should be. Pat

« Hubcaps | Top | Mud flaps »