Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
From an earlier post:

"Important: Centramatics should not be used on Airstreams with Dexter "Nev-R-Lube" bearings, because the change in wheel centerline position will eventually result in bearing failure. Starting in the 2010 model year, Airstreams 25 feet and longer have been factory-equipped with Nev-R-Lube bearings. If you aren’t sure what sort of bearings are installed, check with Airstream by calling 937-596-6111 or ask your local Airstream dealer before ordering."

This is based on Dexter's recommendation some time ago. It is the offset of the wheel on their Nev-R-Lube bearing that is designed to operate with zero offset that concerns them. And us, we travel far from home much of the year and look for keeping our truck and Airstream as reliable as possible.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ah, Cheryl, that point has been brought up before. Here's my take. Yes, the addition of Centramatics does change the offset of ANY KIND of bearing set. But we're talking about ~.040". That would likely put little additional load on the outer edge of the outer bearing. I have been running CMs with my Nev-r-lubes for about 15K with no problems......yet, anyway.

I really think it is a non- issue for any bearing set with the very little offset introduced. Not sure why Dexter would be soooo anal about it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I upgraded my running gear last July at JC, I had new 4,500-lb axles with Ner-r-lube hubs, 16" Sendel wheels, Michelin LTX225/75R16(E) tires & Centra-Matics installed. Since then I've put on about 15,000 miles. The only comment I have is that it took about 500 miles (first 25 and then every 100 miles after that) to completely torque the lug nuts. No issues at all.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
I would avoid purchasing any axle so flimsily made that it can't accommodate Centramatics.
Pileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Centramatic 300-356 all A plates for 16" rims or 200-221 Special for 15” rims (both sizes are $199.00)

I have Centramatics installed on both the trailer (300-356 all A plates on the 16" SenDel wheels)
When I ordered my set, I ordered the 300-356. I was not aware of the A Plates only suggestion. The B plates have a slight center rise, for additional clearance as needed, per the instructions. Not needed- the plate worked facing in or out. It is about 1/16". Is this going to cause a problem I have not anticipated?
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank God for the internet so we can have discussions like these and opinions can fly around from every direction.

Hopefully a definitive and concrete (expert) opinion will come of this discussion/exploration!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Thank God for the internet so we can have discussions like these and opinions can fly around from every direction.

Hopefully a definitive and concrete (expert) opinion will come of this discussion/exploration!
Probably not....you have inordinately high expectations.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
SAE is often cited as a source of expertise. But depending on the issue (WD formula, for example) they can be shown to be wrong. Same thing on this issue: there is no guarantee with or without CM balancers that the axle will avoid problems.

Towing at 72-mph would be another instance of what constitutes best practice. Braking and handling become a problem before this speed, but it hardly keeps some from using that travel speed.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert...

But the Dexter folks aren't hedging their bets here. They do not recommend them in their Nev-r lube axles. To some, their view counts as expert opinion, to others, it's legalese.

Folks make their decisions as they see fit.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #50
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Definition: Expert; 'Ex' is a 'has-been', 'spert' is a 'drip under pressure'
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Definition: Expert; 'Ex' is a 'has-been', 'spert' is a 'drip under pressure'

Does that mean "formerly a drip under pressure" 😜

Side note - if you don't have William Shatner's album "Has Been" - you don't know what you're missing! No kidding - it's in my top 10.

Back to our regularly scheduled, well balanced (see what I did there?) debate-fest 😄
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Professional and expert used to mean that they knew all about certain items; Now it just means that they get paid for doing what they do.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yep... there are a lot of divergent views expressed on internet forums... and here, just as much.

All one can do is consider a wide variety of viewpoints, consider the sources, and then make up their own mind based on how those other viewpoints interact with their own experience, knowledge, and sensibilities. I almost never trust in what ANY one individual might advise. With overwhelming consensus on a matter, I may be more trusting. Following your "gut" is often is the best choice in many situations. In my life, I've learned that, usually, the gut "just knows." ;-)
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #54
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I recently decided to give the centramatics a go. Got a set and put them on last month. The jury's still out on their benefits. I've only had 2 short trips with them and still find a a few drawers open and stuff shifted. I'm not sure what I expected and there are just so many variables to consider. I run my michelin LT's at 80 psi. I just might consider reducing the pressure 5 psi when we go out again. Between a combination of rough roads and non-interstate driving it's difficult to compare but I'm still optimistic and feel confident that they are a plus. Before purchase I called to confirm the application for the ones I selected and found that I had chosen incorrectly. That may explain why the one user above found the mounting to be clumsy and needed to hammer them on. The sales rep I spoke with called centramatic for me and corrected my selection and all fit nicely.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
Hello all......I'm a new owner of a 2015 FC 25 fb. Purchased a TPMS from Hawkshead that required metal valve stems. Had the wheels re-balanced after installing the new stems. The stick-on lead balancing weights fell off the wheels before I even hit the road!! Probably not thoroughly cleaned before they were applied but this got me to worrying and convinced me that CM's are a MUST....
blufishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not all workers at tire centers have been motivated to do the job properly the first time, not realizing they could put someone at risk down the road with their indifferent attitude.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #57
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A side note that I neglected to mention regarding the installation of the CM's in my application was that they will only fit one way. One side the ring where all the action happens will interfere with the wheel going on. Simple thing to reverse the CM. I have the Sendel T-03 wheels. Don't know if this is a factor with other wheels. Something tells me this will have no impact on the function of the CM's.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #58
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
A side note that I neglected to mention regarding the installation of the CM's in my application was that they will only fit one way. One side the ring where all the action happens will interfere with the wheel going on. Simple thing to reverse the CM. I have the Sendel T-03 wheels. Don't know if this is a factor with other wheels. Something tells me this will have no impact on the function of the CM's.
Correct, there is no "rotation direction"... Installing with the "ring" inboard will
Workie jes fyne!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #59

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I asked the folks at Centramatic that very question about the ring being in or out. They told me that they worked the same either way.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Before putting Centramatics on my Airstreams, I have four GoldWings (3 big Wings & an F6B) that I am using them on (along with TPMS).

In my quest to get proper tire wear on my Wings, I installed suspension upgrades (at significant expense), replaced neck bearings, etc.. It was only after I installed Centramatics did I get the tire life and wear pattern to an acceptable level. I always balance the wheels even though running Centramatics.

Armed with this positive experience, it was a no-brainer to me about using them on the Airstreams when I installed 16" wheels. As mentioned above, your wheels may be balanced but that does nothing for the lack of balance on brake drums, etc..

To me, Centramatics is money well spent, as well as, a TPMS.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hubcaps | Top | Mud flaps »