Old 04-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Tandem axel tire rotation ??

When rotating the tires on a tandem axel trailer is it recommended that we go front - rear ??

or is side - side the sequence we should be following. I'm about to do it while servicing bearings / brakes and just want to get it right.

ThanX all

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Huh, never did it in 40 + years. I would imagine same side front to back and back to front, but will wait to hear. Just in case I decide to move forward and do it.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I was always told radial tires rotated front to back same side not criss crossed like bias tires, this was also verified by my tire supplier, that recaps mounts sell thousands new annually of semi , lt, st. etc. tires huge off road excavating equip. tires. This is multy state corp. in midwest.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I was always told radial tires rotated front to back same side not criss crossed like bias tires, this was also verified by my tire supplier, that recaps mounts sell thousands new annually of semi , lt, st. etc. tires huge off road excavating equip. tires. This is multy state corp. in midwest.
Very old advice. Early radials required not to to rolled both ways. That hasn't been the case for decades.

I rotate mine back to front. fronts criss crossed to rear.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I recall the long ago advise to keep them fore / aft due to rotation. I got it. My question comes up because I was planning to roll the trailer up on ramps to get the one axel at a time off the ground. To make the rotation easy would be the side / side method. If that would not be advisable I just will leave the rotation to another time when I lift the whole side with a jack. So that's the motivation for asking the question

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Look at the wear pattern on the individual tires. One sided wear tires should be rotated to locations showing the opposite side tread wear. If really bad side to side wear differences exist, a axle alignment test might be the recommendation. Look for scalping and cupping to check for bad bearings or poor balance. Flat spots indicate brake lockup.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Google radial tire rotation as there are several dif. ways as to construction of tires, where placed on veh. etc. That I did not do before other posting.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I always X my trailer tires and they do fine,I also do the same on my pickup.....
Old 05-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Single????

That's fine for tandem, but what's the rotate pattern for single axle?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Most trailer tires are directional that means there is arrow on sidewall of tire so they must roll in that direction, criss cross changes direction, besides why rotate trailer tires as they will be no good after 5 yrs. or so, others have posted no reason to rotate trailer tires. I believe this also. I have had trailers for 60+ yrs. never rotated tires never wore out but life was gone in tires. Rotate if you want but waste of time and energy on trailers.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #11
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
First, the primary purpose of tire rotation is to minimize the front to rear wear differences. In FWD vehicles, the front wear much more rapidly than the rear. On RWD, the fronts tend to wear on the shoulders and the rears in the center. I think it is obvious why you would want to perform regular rotations on motorized vehicles.

I never understood why the front to rear only (no cross) rotation patterns. In the early days of steel belted radial tires, there was a problem with the rubber separating from the steel. The proposed fix was to do rotations ONLY front to rear to maintain the rolling direction. HOWEVER, this did not take into account that tires are stressed in both directions - when they brake and when they accelerate. I think the whole idea was ludicrous.

The good news is that those days are long gone and one doesn't have to worry about cross rotation causes issues. On the other hand, it is the front to rear portion of the rotation pattern that is important. Side to side is a nicety so a tire would see all wheel positions.

However, trailer tires don't have significant wear differences - either front to rear or side to side. (unless there is another issue, of course). So I don't think there is any reason to rotate trailer tires.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, the primary purpose of tire rotation is to minimize the front to rear wear differences. In FWD vehicles, the front wear much more rapidly than the rear. On RWD, the fronts tend to wear on the shoulders and the rears in the center. I think it is obvious why you would want to perform regular rotations on motorized vehicles.

I never understood why the front to rear only (no cross) rotation patterns. In the early days of steel belted radial tires, there was a problem with the rubber separating from the steel. The proposed fix was to do rotations ONLY front to rear to maintain the rolling direction. HOWEVER, this did not take into account that tires are stressed in both directions - when they brake and when they accelerate. I think the whole idea was ludicrous.

The good news is that those days are long gone and one doesn't have to worry about cross rotation causes issues. On the other hand, it is the front to rear portion of the rotation pattern that is important. Side to side is a nicety so a tire would see all wheel positions.

However, trailer tires don't have significant wear differences - either front to rear or side to side. (unless there is another issue, of course). So I don't think there is any reason to rotate trailer tires.
You and I were and are on the same page on this one. I never understood the "no crossing" either.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Rotation of trailer tires isn't probably necessary, but I have them all of once a year or so to inspect brakes, etc.....so why not?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The "no crossing" edict is extremely firm at my house. I never, never, ever, cross-rotate, ever, for any reason. This after every tire on my son's car came apart from belt separation less than 1500 miles after he cross-rotated them, and several other tires over the years have come apart after cross-rotating them. 3 of my trailer tires have come apart after cross-rotating them.
Now, if you don't cross-rotate like recommended, you run the risk of the belts shifting over time, which can cause a radial pull. I find a pull preferable to belt separation.
As with everything else, YMMV.