Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Get the McGards referenced above. High quality chrome. I've had mine for 4 years. Look good.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Stainless Steel Lug Nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Unless specified in the torque value chart for a particular engine, no lube or anti-seize for head, intake, mains, nor rods either. Torque values will be off if you don't follow specs for lube or no lube.

Stainless lugs nuts are a bad idea....I'm, quite frankly, surprised they are available. I wonder if those who think they have stainless, have good quality chromed steel.

Torque angle fasteners, ARP stud kits, etc. are often specified to be done with lubricant these days, and in any case the threads on these fasteners always become fully saturated in use.

Oil will alter torque values, but I don't think it will cause fasteners to back off, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Torque angle fasteners, ARP stud kits, etc. are often specified to be done with lubricant these days, and in any case the threads on these fasteners always become fully saturated in use.

Oil will alter torque values, but I don't think it will cause fasteners to back off, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
Right, we're in agreement. Back to lug nuts. To the best of my knowledge, no one recommends their lug nuts to be lubed before torquing. If you do, even with anti seize, you may very well actually over-torque the nut while torquing to the recommended spec....possibly stretching the lug to the point of eventual failure after repeated re-torques and pothole hits, for example. Backing off....maybe, but also maybe not likely.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
You might consider aluminum anodized lug nuts. This is what Porsche uses on all their cars and the loads are much greater than an AS. But what ever you choose make sure
you brush on a light coat of marine Neversez If you end up with any corrosion you are toast
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA

I never thought of anodized aluminum, interesting. Just searched for them, they are not inexpensive.

This has been helpful. Going to a Discount Tire store in the am, they say they have S/S lug nuts for my application with a lifetime warranty. I'll post my thoughts, opinion after I see what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Porsche never puts cheap bits on their cars. However their engineers over think everything
Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #27
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
If you want light and tight, Titanium Lug nuts and studs can be found. In all cases I would use the "Airstream Ball Lube" to make them shiny and seize proof.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I got these when I did 16's.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lifetime-lug-nuts

Forged, heat treated, plated one
piece design, not capped.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #29
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I bought the McGuards, they where a bit expensive. But quality lugs just are.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas

Thanks for these very helpful threads! I just put 20 of the McGards on these 'puny' stock 14 inchers on the FC 23 FB.

The left rear tire caught a nail on our very first rally trip, and I immediately wrecked a couple of the 'tin hat' nuts while changing to the spare.

That, and I realized just how useful a thin-walled six-sided 3/4 in deep socket can be.

2014 Flying Cloud 23 FB
2009 BMW X5 Diesel

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting thread. Thanks for the information and will have to try and figure out where to source these.....
Thanks again

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
McGard: Home

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Easy enough to test for stainless. Put a magnet to them. Also remember that stainless does rust, it just takes it longer.
"There are five classes of stainless steel (ferritic, austenitic, martensitic, duplex, and precipitate-hardened) and only one is nonmagnetic (austenitic)." (Plagiarized from a Google search)

McGard makes "bulge" nuts and are good quality, but do not expect them to be readily available at the local Pep Boys... I had to special order them from the parts counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
Stainless is a "softer" metal, and is not designed to withstand the loads encountered as a wheel fastener. I have stainless roller rockers in one of my engines, but the loading is less and different than a wheel.
You WANT hardened steel. There is a reason you don't see stainless or aluminum lug nuts.
That's likely an opinion based upon personal experience with unspecified alloy. Stainless, like any other steel alloy, can be specified as to hardness and can be VERY hard (or soft) depending upon it's intended use.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
I had good luck sourcing them with Amazon. They were special order at two chain automotive stores, so the parts rep actually recommended online ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Flying Cloud 23 FB
2009 BMW X5 Diesel

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks everyone for the links etc...
Just to confirm. Is it the (McGard 64010 1/2" - 20 Thread Size)
That I would need for my 28'?
Thanks

Doug
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #36
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
"There are five classes of stainless steel (ferritic, austenitic, martensitic, duplex, and precipitate-hardened) and only one is nonmagnetic (austenitic)." (Plagiarized from a Google search)

McGard makes "bulge" nuts and are good quality, but do not expect them to be readily available at the local Pep Boys... I had to special order them from the parts counter.

That's likely an opinion based upon personal experience with unspecified alloy. Stainless, like any other steel alloy, can be specified as to hardness and can be VERY hard (or soft) depending upon it's intended use.
You are correct. There is a reason that Rockwell hardened stainless lug nuts are: Not common, expensive, more difficult to find. If standard off the shelf lug nuts aren't enough why not go with titanium lugs and studs? That's what I would use if I was racing my 31' at Talledega.......Whooohoo.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Interesting thread. Thanks for the information and will have to try and figure out where to source these.....
Thanks again

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I got mine thru Amazon. They had them in stock with free Prime shipping and at the best price that I could find.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I've been following this thread, and just wanted to add a bit. I picked up replacement lug nuts from o'Relies auto parts. The have a SS cap, and a hardened steel lug. They were about $2.50 each. They look good so far. I wanted the 2" tall lugs, but they were $5 each. I could not justify the cost just to look a bit cooler.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
https://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB...atid=NUTCOVERS
Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Don't forget to use Never Seeze I use the Marine version on everything from lug nuts to stainless bolts going into aluminum.