Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Stainless Steel Lug Nuts?

If you look at the link where the lug nuts are sold you will see that customers who bought the nuts also bought Anti-seize thread lube......

It would be a must,,,, and the threads would still be subject to galling and seizure at a reduced rate.

My experience has been that stainless is no good for high tension fasteners, and this is even more true as the diameter of the fastener increases.

Imagine yourself on the side of the road with a flat tire.... And one or two lugs..... Anyway, my bet is that if a person uses these leg nuts without anti-seize every single one would be terminally galled to the point where not only the nuts would be trash, but all of the studs as well.

I think stainless is too brittle for threads. My theory is that the sharp tip of the thread starts fracturing off, clogging the path causing more fractures,,,, the result is that the fastener tightens ok,,, but becomes irreparably jammed up in the first two or three turns on removal.

It is a sickening feeling. And nothing I have ever seen locks up so tight.

Stainless fasteners are pretty, but there is a huge downside.

Take a look at the picture. See the large bolts that hold the suspension at the ends of the bars?

I thought those would be cool in stainless.

On the first mock assembly I had a friend who installed the axle while I went to buy a bottle of anti-seize...

I stated at least three times to leave the nuts finger tight...

He tightened them....

Do you have any idea how hard it was to break those 5/8" bolts?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...Picture277.jpg

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Stainless can be made strong but it costs more and corrosion resistance goes down as strength goes up. Stainless is used all the time in aerospace but you don't want to pay $1000 for a set of lug nuts. Cheap stainless like they make sinks out of is weak and soft. If a magnet sticks to it you know it is cheap. Stainless also does not crack as easy as most steels.

Perry

Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Please don't use any lubricant on lugs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In my experience, if anti-seize is not used, stainless lug nuts will be "tighten once" and then break off, and replace all wheel studs.

Like I said, I would never use stainless lug nuts or recommend that anyone does.

While I would not recommend using lube on lug nuts, I doubt they would back off. There are too many engine fasteners that defy this idea. (I.e. Connecting rod bolts and main bearing caps. )

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Unless specified in the torque value chart for a particular engine, no lube or anti-seize for head, intake, mains, nor rods either. Torque values will be off if you don't follow specs for lube or no lube.

Stainless lugs nuts are a bad idea....I'm, quite frankly, surprised they are available. I wonder if those who think they have stainless, have good quality chromed steel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA

I am aware of the inherent issues with stainless steel seizing, many years working on boats. If the S/S fasteners and surface are not square the threads will stretch/distort & then it's time for the Dremel. Not fun. For wheels, only the lug nuts would be stainless, also I think the tapered seat of the wheels and tapered lugs will mitigate this problem.

The S/S lugs for boat trailers don't have the bulge on them. To me that 'bulge' looks like a way to increase surface area to disperse stress, just a guess on my part.

I think any type of lubricant on lug nuts is not a good idea.

My reason for the post is to find out if S/S is a possible solution & what issues exist. Also how have others solved rusting lug nut issues, they just look ugly on nice wheels. I check torque often, that's a lot of contact between the lugs & a socket, chrome has not worked for me. Wax has not seemed to help either.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Get the McGards referenced above. High quality chrome. I've had mine for 4 years. Look good.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Unless specified in the torque value chart for a particular engine, no lube or anti-seize for head, intake, mains, nor rods either. Torque values will be off if you don't follow specs for lube or no lube.

Stainless lugs nuts are a bad idea....I'm, quite frankly, surprised they are available. I wonder if those who think they have stainless, have good quality chromed steel.

Torque angle fasteners, ARP stud kits, etc. are often specified to be done with lubricant these days, and in any case the threads on these fasteners always become fully saturated in use.

Oil will alter torque values, but I don't think it will cause fasteners to back off, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Torque angle fasteners, ARP stud kits, etc. are often specified to be done with lubricant these days, and in any case the threads on these fasteners always become fully saturated in use.

Oil will alter torque values, but I don't think it will cause fasteners to back off, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

Right, we're in agreement. Back to lug nuts. To the best of my knowledge, no one recommends their lug nuts to be lubed before torquing. If you do, even with anti seize, you may very well actually over-torque the nut while torquing to the recommended spec....possibly stretching the lug to the point of eventual failure after repeated re-torques and pothole hits, for example. Backing off....maybe, but also maybe not likely.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
You might consider aluminum anodized lug nuts. This is what Porsche uses on all their cars and the loads are much greater than an AS. But what ever you choose make sure
you brush on a light coat of marine Neversez If you end up with any corrosion you are toast
Old 04-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA

I never thought of anodized aluminum, interesting. Just searched for them, they are not inexpensive.

This has been helpful. Going to a Discount Tire store in the am, they say they have S/S lug nuts for my application with a lifetime warranty. I'll post my thoughts, opinion after I see what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Porsche never puts cheap bits on their cars. However their engineers over think everything
Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #27
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
If you want light and tight, Titanium Lug nuts and studs can be found. In all cases I would use the "Airstream Ball Lube" to make them shiny and seize proof.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #28
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I got these when I did 16's.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lifetime-lug-nuts

Forged, heat treated, plated one
piece design, not capped.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote