Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Split Rims gotta go, is this a correct replacement?

Hi all, I've had my AS less than a year now, and I experienced my first flat tire on Monday. So I'm replacing the wheels and tires on my single axel 1964 Tradewind.

I currently have the original split rims, which I understand are a big no no these days. I would like to keep with the original look as closely as possible, which for me is a black steel wheel with the baby moon hubcaps.

I *think* Ive picked out the appropriate replacement wheel from etrailer.com. they are a 15" x 6" black wheel with a 6 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern and zero offset. Here is a link Dexstar Conventional Steel Wheel - 15" x 6" Rim - 6 on 5-1/2 - Black Powder Coat Dexstar Tires and Wheels AM20514

Can anyone verify before I buy these? Or offer an alternative?

Also, I guess I don't understand how the clips for the baby moons work. Can I attach them the the above linked wheel? Or are the wheel to attach baby moons a completely different type of wheel.

I also attached a pic of the current wheels, if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664[1].jpg
Views:	256
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	139604  
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You will need new hub caps, the old ones will not fit.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Hi all, I've had my AS less than a year now, and I experienced my first flat tire on Monday. So I'm replacing the wheels and tires on my single axel 1964 Tradewind.

I currently have the original split rims, which I understand are a big no no these days. I would like to keep with the original look as closely as possible, which for me is a black steel wheel with the baby moon hubcaps.

I *think* Ive picked out the appropriate replacement wheel from etrailer.com. they are a 15" x 6" black wheel with a 6 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern and zero offset. Here is a link Dexstar Conventional Steel Wheel - 15" x 6" Rim - 6 on 5-1/2 - Black Powder Coat Dexstar Tires and Wheels AM20514

Can anyone verify before I buy these? Or offer an alternative?

Also, I guess I don't understand how the clips for the baby moons work. Can I attach them the the above linked wheel? Or are the wheel to attach baby moons a completely different type of wheel.

I also attached a pic of the current wheels, if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
I don't have the original baby moon hub caps anyway, I would have to buy them.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I don't have the original baby moon hub caps anyway, I would have to buy them.
Your source does not say what the wheel rating is.

They must be a minimum of 2600 pounds each.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
15" Trailer Wheel
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Wheels

The correct standard wheels are also available painted silver, and are shipped packaged, therefore no scratches.

Andy
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Both of those wheels look like the exact same wheels sold by Redneck Trailer (Dexstar), as well as vendors here on this forum. They should fit your trailer with no problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Thanks Everyone! I went with the ones on VTS because I really like their site, and they were the same price as etrailer. I dont know why I didn't check VTS first! DUH!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
what tires are you going to use on these?
saburkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Old thread, I have the same question, and will go with the VTS or Inland RV if they have it.

Question: Can these wheels be fitted with baby moon caps, instead of the cone shaped hubcaps?

Question: Can beauty rings be fitted for this wheel? If not any referrals for a wheel, baby moons, and beauty ring?

Thanks,
Cliff U.
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Cliff, I wish I could help you. I had the same question about the baby moons vs the cone hubcaps. My new wheels are naked at the moment.

Hopefully someone will chime in who knows!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #12

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Uh yeahhhh...our '56 Flying Cloud has split rims and those bad boys, along with every creepy crawly bug living in there...gotta go!!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Go to etrailer.com for black Dexstar wheels and Americana (made in China) baby moons.
The baby moons might be a little tight to fit over the nubs on the wheel. If that happens you can peen down the inside diameter a little so they fit. They're only $15 so they aren't real thick. If you bend one they're easy to replace.
They have trim rings, but I thought those were a little too much chrome for my taste.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Cliff, I wish I could help you. I had the same question about the baby moons vs the cone hubcaps. My new wheels are naked at the moment.

Hopefully someone will chime in who knows!

Hey gang try....THIS!!

Call to see if they fit the new style wheels.

The "smoothie" full caps also look good.

Bob
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I believe this will work on the VTS steel wheels. Note that there are special instructions for measuring with 3 nubs vs 4. They look very original to me!. And trim rings are available.

Baby Moons - Baby Moon Hub Caps Solid Chrome Hubcaps
Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
Uh yeahhhh...our '56 Flying Cloud has split rims and those bad boys, along with every creepy crawly bug living in there...gotta go!!
@Mona 56' Flying Cloud? I missed the news on the new addition. So you are busy expanding the herd after all. haha.

@Shelly Thanks for the Hubcap Mike reference, and lucky for me it is local to me. If VTS, and Inland RV can't source baby moons for the specific wheel size, worries me. I don't think it would be an issue with the 5 lug wheel though.

Ok, as for the wheels... There are various options, but not one solution to my wish for baby moons + beauty ring. According to Inland RV the 15", 6 lug wheels can only be fitted with the conical shaped hub caps. To fit the baby moons, I would have to go to a 5 lug wheel. I also called Vintage Trailer Supply, and the same answer occurs for their 15", 6 lug wheel, only cone shaped hub caps fit, and they have tried sourcing baby moon, to no avail.

There are various other decisions riding on these choices, ie. axle (torsion/spring, dropped/straight, 6 lug/5 lug). As much as I like to stay with a vintage look exterior, an alternative is to go with a modern forged aluminum wheel. I am concerned with all these variable changes that it all fits in the wheel well as measured.
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Darn, I think you are right! I just went down in the basement and measured my 6 lug tires from VTS and although the rounded surfaces make measuring difficult I'm getting a needed diameter of close to 10.5. The cone ones at VTS have an inner flange of 10.2 so theroretically I don't know how they would fit either. They must have some give to snap over the nubs? I know the cone hubcaps do fit on the VTS 6 bolt because my sister has them.

I agree with you I hate the cone ones - they remind me of Madonnas bra. Shudder. Which dates me I know!

If you find a solution I'd really like to know.

Anyone else know a baby moon that fits the 6 lug VTS wheels?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Update:

After some research I found 6 lug, old Chevy truck wheels fit. Sourced from a hole in the wall place that sells used wheels. Old Chevy truck wheels have a higher load rating. I paid $45 each, and had to clean it up myself (sandblast), but I got what I wanted.

You can correct me if wrong, but called VTS and there are no baby moons, other than the conical hub caps they sell for 15" wheels. You can fit baby moons for the 14" wheels, but if you want 15" wheels, you may be out of luck. The same goes for the wheels on InlandRV.com. Both of these outlets will not have a baby moon for the 15" that fits.

Lucky me Hubcap Mike is local to me, so I brought my wheels to make sure everything fit.

P.S. Bought the trailer tires from Costco! ST 225 75R 15 Load range D
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Bolt circles

The easy way to measure bolt patterns and diameters is to get a big piece of cardboard and cut out the center so that it will fit over the hub (if required), then take a small hammer and tap on the end of each stud to mark the cardboard. Then measure the cardboard.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyeda View Post
Update:

After some research I found 6 lug, old Chevy truck wheels fit. Sourced from a hole in the wall place that sells used wheels. Old Chevy truck wheels have a higher load rating. I paid $45 each, and had to clean it up myself (sandblast), but I got what I wanted.

You can correct me if wrong, but called VTS and there are no baby moons, other than the conical hub caps they sell for 15" wheels. You can fit baby moons for the 14" wheels, but if you want 15" wheels, you may be out of luck. The same goes for the wheels on InlandRV.com. Both of these outlets will not have a baby moon for the 15" that fits.

Lucky me Hubcap Mike is local to me, so I brought my wheels to make sure everything fit.

P.S. Bought the trailer tires from Costco! ST 225 75R 15 Load range D
Typically, truck wheels are under rated for an Airstream.

Your wheels "MUST" have a minimum rating of 2600 pounds per wheel.

Andy