Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
split rim replacements '53 flying cloud

Hi guys. Hope you can help a newbie here on some wheels and info. Headed over to pick up my 53 21ft flying cloud and it has the original split rims on it with tired tires. I need to remove these before I tow it home. Can you tell me the correct steel wheel and tire combo to purchase so i can safely get it home several hundred miles.

Also, Im reasonably sure the lug nuts will be really hard to remove due to age, etc. Should I take a propane torch to heat the lugs and or nuts, etc. I dont want to get them real hot because of the bearings, grease, etc. Is that even advisable ? Lubricants may not be of much use over the top of the lugs, etc. I plan to take a lug wrench and a long hollow bar for added leverage. Any suggestions. Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED, as always.

Thanks,

Rlmm
rlmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I am not familar enough with pre-1961 trailers to know the exact rim size. I would assume a 5 hole 15" rim with zero offset.

It is quite possible the trailer does not have lug nuts rather lug bolts. I would NOT suggest using heat at all no matter the set up. Especially if the trailer has lug bolts as the heat will not penetrate the threaded area with out penetrating other components first and causing damage. A six sided socket with a breaker bar and an extension to that if needed should do the trick.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for the input action. I did find the old rims are indeed 6 lug.

Rlmm
rlmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
There is a search button near the top of each page. You can enter topic and the site will search what it is that you type in.

From my search - Your rims should be 6 hole on 5 1/2" centers with a 15" rim and zero offset. These will be a higher weight rating than passenger car or even some light truck rims. The weight rating would be 2600#s.

While the rims in the attached link will work they may not be pleasing. However the data is there so you can understand what the specs might be like. 15x6 White Modular Trailer Wheel (10-Hole), 6 Lug, 2600 lb Max Load

These obviously are new. Used ones may be available in your area and there is some risk in used ones especially if they are not known to be from an RV. This choice would be personal preference.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you have access to electric bring an air compressor with you. The vibrations and such from an impact gun are very useful removing stuck / rusted bolts. Much better than wrenches and extensions which will just twist and break them off. Penetrating oils are also helpful. Beware, if you get different wheels make sure the lug nuts / bolts are compatible to the design of the wheel or else they are likely to come loose in transit.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote