Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
So I have a friend....

That has a 1975 31' Sovereign who is REALLY excited about going to Burning Man this year. His rig has almost 2" of separation in the rear (it is rear bath) and every time he tows it he says that his control panel and some of his upper bulkheads seem to be coming lose. I tried to explain the importance of balanced running gear and he gave me the "Peshaw".

So I sent him this video to see if it would make sense to him and he still doesnt get it. Should I take his keys away when he's not looking and save the Airstream from more work that needs to be done on it?

Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I think that depends on how strong your ability is to squelch "I told ya so".

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
... just don't shake him ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Are you suggesting that if he balances his running gear, he will be safe to go to Burning Man in his trailer?

If he has 2" of rear end separation, I would say unbalanced running gear is just a part of the problem. I would imagine the rattle and shake that would result from having the entire aft portion of his frame flapping in the wind would easily dislodge some of the interior.

Its time to fix the rear of the trailer--having a Burning Man deadline ought to be incentive to get the job done!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Are you suggesting that if he balances his running gear, he will be safe to go to Burning Man in his trailer?

If he has 2" of rear end separation, I would say unbalanced running gear is just a part of the problem. I would imagine the rattle and shake that would result from having the entire aft portion of his frame flapping in the wind would easily dislodge some of the interior.

Its time to fix the rear of the trailer--having a Burning Man deadline ought to be incentive to get the job done!
Youre right...I explained the whole concept from the separation and axles...which are sitting at negative and as I said he just doesnt get it...and aside from getting a video inside his trailer as its rolling I just had to take the next best thing.

The one thing that I do understand it that he is about to take on rebuilding his home so I know where his money lies but he could just say the bigger priority is the home but it doesnt explain him not understanding the concept of why cabinets are shaking loose.

So sure...the safety of it and the wellbeing of the trailer is a different thing. it could certainly be the shell flexing loosening the cabinets because of the separation. Regardless an imbalanced running gear without separation (such that could happen on new trailers) might cause cabinets to loosen up and doors to open which will probably eventually lead to separation and many other problems but this video might just help those who don't have an opportunity to ride in their trailers know what kind of abuse it is taking when they aren't taking care of it.
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote