Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Sealed Wheel Bearings

We have a 2017, 16' Bambi that requires the wheel bearings to be greased every season. Does anyone know how difficult or expensive it would be to convert to the sealed bearings?
Thanks
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I am not sure that the never lube bearings are compatible with the standard spindles. I am sure someone else will know.

But, doing the bearings, while messy, is pretty easy. There are lots of YouTube videos, supplies are cheap -- 4 new grease seals, grease, cotter pins. Just thought I'd throw that in...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I once missed a step and almost lost the tire in my popup. I did not force grease in the bearings which resulted dry heat build up that damaged the bearings. It never happened again.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
An Airstream dealer will know.

However, I have the 22 Sport 2018 and my manual says that the single axle is a sealed 'Never Lube' style. Not sure why a previous year Bambi would not be the same.

I'm sure you have double checked so, call a dealer and see if yours can be converted.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The NevrLube Bearings take special spindles and special (read expensive) bearings. The EZ-Lube bearings are similar to the old Bearing Buddies. They do not have to be disassembled to lubricate. You raise the wheel off of the ground and squirt grease in from a zerk fitting in the end of the spindle while rotating the wheel. They use standard bearings, but require special spindles. I believe conversion from standard to either of the above requires new axles as the spindles are different.

Unless you have disc brakes and one of the above bearing systems, periodic servicing of the brakes and bearings is recommended. You pull the hub, clean and re-pack the bearings, and clean and lubricate the brake linkage. There is a wide variation between recommended intervals and peoples' actual practice. I think Airstream says it is an annual service; some on here do it by miles with the number of miles being a personal preference. I replaced my axles, converted to disc brakes and put in EZ-Lube bearings so I just periodically spin the wheels while squirting grease in and check the pad thickness on the disc brakes.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel View Post
We have a 2017, 16' Bambi that requires the wheel bearings to be greased every season. Does anyone know how difficult or expensive it would be to convert to the sealed bearings?
Thanks
Never heard of yearly re-packing...usually goes by milage with a yearly check for leaks & play. We have 15k on our last re-pack 5 Seasons ago.
BTW...it's not all that difficult or expensive to re-pack every year if you are so inclined.

Neverlube tends to meld into nevercheck & forgedaboutit.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸