Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

East Hartland , Connecticut
Safety inspection in Vermont

I had to have my trailer inspected in Vermont. During the inspection the tech jacked my new 23cb Airstream up by placing the jack under my axles. I told him that’s not how it’s supposed to be done but he said it would not cause any damage. Was he correct? Should I be worried?
Tombomb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Definitely the wrong thing to do. Bending the tube will cause the wheels to be out of alignment. Keep an eye out for uneven tire wear, that will let you know if things are not aligned correctly.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You told him and he STILL did it wrong??

First - in that situation - I would have demanded he stop immediately and look at the manual with me and explain that the manufacturer is explicit about jack placement.

You can't go back to that moment, but I would absolutely call the shop, talk with the manager and explain that despite your protest, the tech jacked up the trailer incorrectly and you need him to understand that for two reasons:

1) should they have additional Airstream traffic, they need to understand this is a crucial mistake, and

2) should there be axle damage you expect they will cover the cost to repair or replace as necessary.

Sorry for the trouble. Nothing worse than a mechanic who won't listen to the customer...I had the very good fortune of working with a tech at a tire shop who listened carefully and agreed to have me drive the trailer up on my tire wedge to swap tires one at a time. Yes it took longer but no damage to the trailer and the tech was glad to learn something about a brand he had never worked on before.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You told him and he STILL did it wrong??

. Nothing worse than a mechanic who won't listen to the customer...

Good luck!
It wasn't a repair technician. It was a state inspector. (Or state technician) An employee of the State of Vermont. (Deeper pockets if one were to pursue a claim)

In addition based on how the post was written, the AS owner told him after the inspector lifted the trailer by the axle.

Tombomb68 - that was the incorrect way to lift your trailer. The correct way to lift is using the area marked for lifting the trailer. It is reinforced there to be able to handle lifting the trailer. The axle tube that contains the rubber torsion spring is not designed for that type of stress. It is too thin.

If there is damage it will show up as abnormal tire wear. Or as the trailer's inability to handle the load during towing. The length of the internal rubber spring determines how much load capacity. Higher rated axle, the longer the rubber rods inside. If the axle tube is crushed pinching the rubber rods that can effectively reduce the load capacity of the axle. OR if the axle tube is bent (or straightened) there is an alignment issue that will show up as tire wear. The axle has a slight bend in it when brand new. If by any means that bend is straightened or changed ... excessive tire wear would be a result.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
It wasn't a repair technician. It was a state inspector. (Or state technician) An employee of the State of Vermont. (Deeper pockets if one were to pursue a claim)

In addition based on how the post was written, the AS owner told him after the inspector lifted the trailer by the axle.

Tombomb68 - that was the incorrect way to lift your trailer. The correct way to lift is using the area marked for lifting the trailer. It is reinforced there to be able to handle lifting the trailer. The axle tube that contains the rubber torsion spring is not designed for that type of stress. It is too thin.

If there is damage it will show up as abnormal tire wear. Or as the trailer's inability to handle the load during towing. The length of the internal rubber spring determines how much load capacity. Higher rated axle, the longer the rubber rods inside. If the axle tube is crushed pinching the rubber rods that can effectively reduce the load capacity of the axle. OR if the axle tube is bent (or straightened) there is an alignment issue that will show up as tire wear. The axle has a slight bend in it when brand new. If by any means that bend is straightened or changed ... excessive tire wear would be a result.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

The state of Vermont uses private garages for inspection work. They are not state employees.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

The trailer was only jacked up about 3inches and the jack was placed close to the tire. He did it on both sides to check the brakes. I looked carefully for any signs of damage but was unable to find anything.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Is there anything I can do to determine if damage was done?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Unless you find out there is tire wear your trailer is likely OK.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action