Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Safe way to remove all 4 wheels?

We have a 2018 30' Classic on order and I want to be able to install a Ford TPMS kit which will interface with the factory display on a 2017 F250. To be installed, the Ford TPMS valve stems require that the trailer tires be dismounted.

Is there a safe procedure for removing all 4 trailer wheels at one time? Using the spare and a Trailer-Aid tire changing ramp I can take off two wheels at a time but that means 2 trips to the tire shop. I was wondering if there are other options although the last thing I want to do is risk damaging myself or my new trailer so if it takes two trips, so be it.

FWIW, I have a couple of 2 ton automotive jacks and 4 Jackpoint jack stands which are each rated for 4000 lbs. Thoughts or suggestions?

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I would use two jack stands rated for 1/2 weight of trailer between the axles on the axle mounting plate, plus the front tongue jack. Three points determine a plane. Trying to use two lesser jack stands on each side isn't a good idea since one stand can take all the weight if the tongue is lifted a little bit.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Can it be done safely? Sure.

Is it a real good idea? Maybe not.

How far is the shop?

The trailer "sags" away from the point(s) it is supported. Change those points and the trailer flexes and stretches. When doing a normal tire change, this does not go on for long. Leaving it in an unusual state for quite a while can create odd issues (think rivets popping....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Can it be done safely? Sure.

Is it a real good idea? Maybe not.

How far is the shop?

The trailer "sags" away from the point(s) it is supported. Change those points and the trailer flexes and stretches. When doing a normal tire change, this does not go on for long. Leaving it in an unusual state for quite a while can create odd issues (think rivets popping....).

Bob
I live a ways outside of town but it's not too bad and, as I said, I don't want to take unnecessary risks.

What do you mean by "quite a while"? Using the spare and the Trailer-Aid changing ramp I'd be leaving one side of the trailer on a single wheel for 2 or 3 hours while I run two wheels into town and have the work done. Should I provide additional support for that side of the trailer in the meantime and if so what would be the best way to do that? Thanks.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
Old 09-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The basic problem is that there are two easy ways to support the trailer. You put it on the wheels or you put it on the jack points. Anything else is a bit complicated. If you put it on the jack points, listen to the trailer "squeak" at you. Fifteen or twenty minutes is normal for changing a tire. Will three hours create an issue? Nobody knows until they try it on their specific trailer. Will there be catastrophic damage? Certainly not. Might you have an extra leak or three to deal with? yup ...

Bob
Old 09-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

The wheels & tires come off every Fall.....Stored this way since new.

Supported by two jack stands between the wheels & the tongue jack.

Jack up on the axle plate...no chance of sliding off the marked AS "jack point".

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1322.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	294464   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5f7.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	294465  

Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Sounds like you're getting a brand new AS from a dealer. Congrats!

Why not send the TPMS kits to them to install even before you pick up the trailer?
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The axle mounting plate doesn't flex appreciably. Whether the trailer is on two axles or a jack stand between the two axles doesn't make a bit of difference to how the trailer is loaded. You will not damage your trailer by putting it on jack stands under the axle plates unless you or an earthquake manages to knock it off the stands.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Sounds like you're getting a brand new AS from a dealer. Congrats!

Why not send the TPMS kits to them to install even before you pick up the trailer?
Thanks!

I did ask. My dealer says they don't dismount/mount tires.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
The axle mounting plate doesn't flex appreciably. Whether the trailer is on two axles or a jack stand between the two axles doesn't make a bit of difference to how the trailer is loaded. You will not damage your trailer by putting it on jack stands under the axle plates unless you or an earthquake manages to knock it off the stands.

- Bart
Thanks Bart....
Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I bought a Tire Minder TPMS that uses the xmttrs. On the valve stems.
Base Stn. In TV. On glare shield.
Half an hour into the first trip, it 'yeĺled' low pressure. Picked up a screw in a tire.
That $400+ thing just saved me several thousand in damage.��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is a post that indicates, AS balances brakes, tires, wheels all together. So the dealer may be concerned that un-mounting and remounting may shift the balance. Solution is to install Centramatics, but a good tire shop may be able to return tire to same position and balance out the added weight from the TPMS sensor addition. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There is a post that indicates, AS balances brakes, tires, wheels all together. So the dealer may be concerned that un-mounting and remounting may shift the balance. Solution is to install Centramatics, but a good tire shop may be able to return tire to same position and balance out the added weight from the TPMS sensor addition. Pat
Good to know. I've got a great tire guy; I'll talk to him about it.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Any good tire shop will mark tire at stem location then balance if TPMS is added
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Thanks!

I did ask. My dealer says they don't dismount/mount tires.
Hi

Asked the same question of my AS dealer and got the same answer.

The Ford dealer will install the monitors and do all the unmount / remount work. I'm not quite sure I want to turn them loose on a 30' Airstream. I'm not even sure how I would get it onto their lot ....

Bob
Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
We have a 2018 30' Classic on order and I want to be able to install a Ford TPMS kit which will interface with the factory display on a 2017 F250. To be installed, the Ford TPMS valve stems require that the trailer tires be dismounted.

Is there a safe procedure for removing all 4 trailer wheels at one time? Using the spare and a Trailer-Aid tire changing ramp I can take off two wheels at a time but that means 2 trips to the tire shop. I was wondering if there are other options although the last thing I want to do is risk damaging myself or my new trailer so if it takes two trips, so be it.

FWIW, I have a couple of 2 ton automotive jacks and 4 Jackpoint jack stands which are each rated for 4000 lbs. Thoughts or suggestions?

I did the exact same installation on a 2017 Classic a few months ago. The local discount tire used 4 5000lb jacks simultaneously and took about 20min including re-balancing
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
I did the exact same installation on a 2017 Classic a few months ago. The local discount tire used 4 5000lb jacks simultaneously and took about 20min including re-balancing
So the tire place jacked up your trailer....I'm glad it worked out for you. It certainly sounds like it was covenient. My tire guy doesn't have the facilities for this and I wouldn't trust any of the other usual suspects around here to handle lifting the trailer. The valve stems are the only part of the kit installation that seems at all problematic. The rest will be DIY.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
If I had discount tire do work I would pull up on boards take 2 off then do other 2 , why jack up when you or they can put 1 on while installing tpms on other tire then do other 2 same way The reason I state this I or no one will ever jack up my AS unless extreme emergency.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Jacking up any modern vehicle can be a bit of a trip. The days of stick the jack anywhere and up it goes are now in the distant past. Tune into just about any forum and you will eventually find a thread "Jacking up my XXXXX caused a bunch of damage". It needs to be done with care.

Bob
Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I put a floor jack between the wheels to get it in the air then put a heavy duty jack stand behind the rear wheel on the axle mounting plate. Any place on the axle mounting plate is fine. It is an easy, uncomplicated process.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote