Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
riveted wheel safe?

My 66 Overlander is getting new tires and I noticed that the wheel center is riveted in placed instead of being welded. None of the rivets seem loose but they do leak air which means I will need tubes. I know this is not the dangerous split rim we always hear about, but is this a wheel I can safely use? Thanks, TomE

project66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I'd say as long as it passes all other visual inspections for serviceability, yes it is safe to use. I don't like the idea of a tube in a tubeless tire. New powder coated rims are not that expensive if you have doubts. $50 each at

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Rivited wheels (outside rim to center) were very common at one time. They are very safe and present no issues in that arena.

A tube is one way to make that repair or an adhesive would be another as liong as the adhesive is not applied any where near the flange of the rin where the tubeless tire seats and the adhesive is up for the extereme heat and pressure of teh job.

On a different wheel for a Toyota I made this type of repair for a pin hole leak in a cast metal wheel. The amount of adhesive used was very small and I had to do the repair twice because I did not let the adhesive cure. The tire was balanced after the repair and no one can see the repair since it is on the inside of the rim.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is online now   Reply With Quote