Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Replacement Rims for my 65' GT

I have a 1965 GT that I would like to replace the wheels and tires. I would very much like to get a set of aluminum or chrome wheels. Can someone tell me what I need to ask for when shopping for wheels and tires for my GT?

Has anyone else replaced their wheels on their 65' GT with newer ones?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Replacement Rims for my 65' GT

Greetings muddy_hollow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
I have a 1965 GT that I would like to replace the wheels and tires. I would very much like to get a set of aluminum or chrome wheels. Can someone tell me what I need to ask for when shopping for wheels and tires for my GT?

Has anyone else replaced their wheels on their 65' GT with newer ones?
While I haven't switched from my replacement steel rims to aluminum on my Overlander, it is a future plan. The one thing that I learned with the Overlander was when purchasing the new rims (and tires) was that it was far easier to tow the coach to the dealer and allow his personnel to measure for both the new rims and tires as that placed the responsibility on his shop should there be a problem with fit once the special-ordered merchandise arrived.

Recently, I had to purchase new rims for my '75 Eldorado and the only option was to go with custom aluminum as there are no OEM style replacements available - - I followed this same procedure - - the dealer had to send the first two sets back due to issues with measurements made by his personnel - - didn't get an acceptable fit until the third set - - other than aggravation my only charge was for the set of rims and tires that were the best fit. When I am ready for aluminum rims on the Airstream, I will follow the same process. The dealer with whom I worked had a number of catalogs with stock, semi-custom, and custom wheels; and most had a section with wheels rated for trailer service. The cost for the rims in the catalogs varied from $85.00 to in excess of $1,000 per wheel.

With the tendency of the Vintage single axle coaches to have very tight wheel-well clearances, it would be advisable to place the responsibility of measuring for proper fit upon the dealer - - in that way if the wheels don't fit upon arrival dealership personnel will be responsible for the sizing ordered.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I think Kevin has the best approach overall.

However, if you are doing research in preparation of the visit, between the bolt hole pattern, diameter, and load rating of the wheel, you also need to know the offset.

Here's what markdoane shared with me in an earlier thread on a different topic concerning wheel offset.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote