Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #1

1965 28' Ambassador
Long Branch , New Jersey
Question replacement rims

we just bought a 1965 ambassador that's been sitting in this mans yard for 10 years. Any advice on what to do first? how do we know if the shocks are good.My husband says we have to replace the old split rims. what do we get? Any advice would be helpful..
Sue and John
suenjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
split rims have to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn
we just bought a 1965 ambassador that's been sitting in this mans yard for 10 years. My husband says we have to replace the old split rims. what do we get? Any advice would be helpful..
Sue and John
You are correct, the split rims have to go. I got new rims at Discount Tire. They had to order them for me. Mine came with a galvanized coating which should resist rusting.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Look here: www.trailertiresandwheels.net
I bought these for my 1963, and am very happy with them. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...product/AW1504
Old 05-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
For the shocks. Most of the time shocks are not really needed.

However when I got my trailer I replaced everything to get a start point. Because it was unknown by the seller of my unit when the last time shocks had been replaced. And other items.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey action,

I dont understand that comment about the shocks .I have talked about shocks and the importance of them before. I just finish replacing sob broken leaf springs because he had no shocks .He asked why his coach always bounced around going down the road .shocks control the "rebound" effect of the tire and keep it controlled from unwanted movement,especially after hitting a pot hole or bump in the road .Put on new shocks your trailer will thank you for it.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hey action,

I dont understand that comment about the shocks .I have talked about shocks and the importance of them before. I just finish replacing sob broken leaf springs because he had no shocks .He asked why his coach always bounced around going down the road .shocks control the "rebound" effect of the tire and keep it controlled from unwanted movement,especially after hitting a pot hole or bump in the road .Put on new shocks your trailer will thank you for it.

Scott
Sorry Scott,
I am with Action on this one. I think shocks are unnecessary on a torsion axle. I towed my Airstream with new axles over 500 miles, then put the shocks on, for good measure. NO difference, whatsoever.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It may make a difference. Just not the kind of difference that has meaning. Like putting your fingure in a glass of water and taking it out. Well may be a little more difference than that. It's just not spring saving type of difference. Those springs broke for another reason, not because there were no shocks.

The movement for a torsion axle isn't much. Using shocks to dampen the movement doesn't do much.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Placerville , California
Send a message via AIM to Metta Photo
Hi, I'm brand new to forum. Were your old tires 7.00 X 15? I like the wheels that you indicate.
Thanks, Will
Metta Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
The sob coach was only a few years old, a fifth wheel ,lets speculate then why they could be broken? it was a tandem coach .the springs are not designed to bounce up and down ,to flex radically .You guys dont agree about shocks ,which means airstream designers must be stupid and like wasting money .Surely they know how dumb it is then to put shocks on a torsion axle trailer ,since they are a waste and perform little if any function.What testing have you guys done to confirm that shocks are not needed .to say the lack of shocks has nothing to do with spring breakage ,is a surprise to me .I service trailers ,shocks ,springs in my line of work ,seen it before,I will see it again ,done it for 30 years now .uwe ,how do you know there was no difference and in what manner of testing did you do to come to that conclusion ? I do not believe in giving out information that goes againts the trailer manafacturers design especially to people that need correct information .Also why bother putting the shocks on after 500 miles for good measure if it doesnt make a difference??? Im sorry gentlemen cannot see your points on this one.

Scott

Scott
Old 05-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
shocking!

Leave the the shocks off , you don't feel the difference? They are there more for control than comfort. You can rest assured your tire's are feeling the difference!
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Look here: www.trailertiresandwheels.net
I bought these for my 1963, and am very happy with them. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...product/AW1504
uwe,
thanks for the link~!!
Were the rims replacement for the orignal axle or a new axle afterwards??
My main concern would be the offset. ??
Otherwise, they seem to be a nearly perfect match to the rims on my 84 Airstream..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tradewind
Leave the the shocks off , you don't feel the difference? They are there more for control than comfort. You can rest assured your tire's are feeling the difference!
Not on a torsion axle. Every single manufacturer claims that shocks are unnecessary, due to the self dampning tendencies of the rubber torsion system. My findings reinforce those statements. I doubt that the tires would know the difference.
I am reading too many posts about replacement shocks etc. Time would be better spent looking at the axles as a whole, which are paramount to a safe and soft ride, with excellent wheel control. But that's expensive,a nd shocks are cheap...besides, we're preprogrammed to replace shocks and tires in every other automotive newspaper ad.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
uwe,
thanks for the link~!!
Were the rims replacement for the orignal axle or a new axle afterwards??
My main concern would be the offset. ??
Otherwise, they seem to be a nearly perfect match to the rims on my 84 Airstream..
53FC
I used wheels with the same offset on my previous trailer, a 1971 TradeWind, with the original style drum brakes.
The ones in the link, hwever, have a much higher weight rating, and seem to be better made if I remember correctly. They also cost a little less than the ones from American Racing, which I used before. ( OutlawII)
Old 05-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
The sob coach was only a few years old, a fifth wheel ,lets speculate then why they could be broken? it was a tandem coach .the springs are not designed to bounce up and down ,to flex radically .You guys dont agree about shocks ,which means airstream designers must be stupid and like wasting money .
Underrated components are very commonly found on SOB's. One can read trailer life's horror stories in about every issue. I do think that shocks are a great idea on a solid axle. But that's not what I was referring to. I was specifically talking about Airstream's rubber torsion axles.

Quote:
Surely they know how dumb it is then to put shocks on a torsion axle trailer ,since they are a waste and perform little if any function.What testing have you guys done to confirm that shocks are not needed .to say the lack of shocks has nothing to do with spring breakage ,is a surprise to me .
You're comparing apples and Oranges, Scott.

Quote:
I service trailers ,shocks ,springs in my line of work ,seen it before,I will see it again ,done it for 30 years now .uwe ,how do you know there was no difference and in what manner of testing did you do to come to that conclusion ?
I for one can tell how a trailer rides, as my tow vehicle is sensitive to it. It is a 1/2 ton Chevy. I can also tell by how stuff moves around inside of it after a long tow. I can look inthe mirror and see no difference in trailer movement, not from side to side, and not up and down. What can i say, it is what it is.....

Quote:
I do not believe in giving out information that goes againts the trailer manafacturers design especially to people that need correct information .Also why bother putting the shocks on after 500 miles for good measure if it doesnt make a difference??? Im sorry gentlemen cannot see your points on this one.

Scott

Scott
I already had the shocks, installed Shock mounts on my Dexter axles, and was going to do it anyways. I was not wanting to go against Airstream's design, but see little point in it. The horizontal shocks from Airstream have very little movement, and are very soft, like that's going to do much? My 63 now has the vertical shocks, but they still don't move very much, even though I mounted the shock brackets at the very end of the torsion arm. I am posting this because according to my findings, shocks are not necessary on a rubber torsion axle system.
Why do you think none of them ( other than Henschen's Airstream specific axles) come with shock mounts?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metta Photo
Hi, I'm brand new to forum. Were your old tires 7.00 X 15? I like the wheels that you indicate.
Thanks, Will
Will,
Originally, the tires on both of my coaches were 7.00x15 bias ply tires. I changed wheels on both trailers, and went to 225/75R15 Marathon tires. The wheels I linked to are a standard trailer wheel, with zero offset. It should fit all 12in brake drums perfectly fine. You will loose some ride height when changing to radials.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Uwe, thanks for your great reponse to my questions directed to you .Sounds like your rig works fine without them ,I see that the torsion axles have sort of a built in cushion that makes them smooth ,maybe not as easily bounced around .I refer to shocks soley as a device that controls the bounce from the tire/wheel assembly as it rebounds from an obstruction in the road of whatever type ,controlling the tire keeping it in contact with the road at all times .I can,t say that the torsion can controll this alone.Anyway Ill stick with the shocks . your correct that the solid axle cannot be compared directly with the torsion in how the ride will be ,however,the shock provides the same dampening effect it needs .Other torsions dont come with shock brackets because they dont know where to mount them ,It appears that everyone is welding them on from the axle threads I have seen.
Good postings and responses here!

Scott
Old 05-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Btw., Airstream does not put shocks on the 22ft trailers, for some reason. The 22ft trailers have Dexter axles.
The 19ft trailers have shocks. The 25ft and bigger units have shocks...the new 23 that I saw did not have shocks, unless I overlooked them.
I could not identify if the 06 trailers had Dexter or Henschen axles, but the bigger ones all had Dexter drums and did have shocks on them. BTW, I am reasonable sure that the new Airstream wheels are identical to the ones sold here: www.trailertiresandwheels.com. The factory installation and care stickers are the same as the ones found on the wheels that I bought for my 63 Overlander. ( Since this is actually a wheel thread....)
Old 05-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Split rims?

I am getting ready to replace my tires, but how do I know if I have the split rims? My trailer is a 71 ambassador. Anyone know?
Old 05-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi
I am getting ready to replace my tires, but how do I know if I have the split rims? My trailer is a 71 ambassador. Anyone know?
My 1971 TradeWind did not have split rims, but rather conventional steel wheels with baby moon hub caps.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I doubt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi
You can tell if they're split rims by just looking at them..
I have the original wheels on my 64GT and, will post pictures for you later..
IT'S RAINING WAY TOO HARD OUT NOW TO DO IT..lol
BTW, the splits rim are very dangerous..
Please don't attempt to deflate the tires as the split rims are known to fly off and cause severe bodily harm~!
If you must, always deal with them behind a safety cage to contain the rims ~!!
But as I said, I seriously doubt that you have split rims on your 71..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote