Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #29
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
Terry,

Do these rims appear to have what you are suggesting?

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...product/AW1511

Mitch
Yes. Just measure the hub diameter (bore size), if it is large enough, they should do very well for you. They look cool, as well.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
More Info

Sorry to bug you all, but how should I measure these distances?

Mitch

Old 05-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Little Britain , Ontario
Question Useless Spare Tire!

Hi, all.

We have a '92 Excella, 29 ft. Today, hubby decided to check out the spare tire for the first time.

Surprise! It's just that....a spare tire! Not mounted, so not much good in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention, the thing has to be original! It's a write off.

Question....

Is this standard practice by Airstream, to have just a tire instead of a usable spare or is this something the previous owner did?

Is the front mounted underbelly carrier for the spare deep enough to house a mounted and inflated spare?

Anyone know the wheel specs for this unit?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
I worked in the trailer axle industry for a number of years and can say that Airstream is the only company to put shocks on a torsion axle. I too feel it is un-needed.

On a spring axle I have seen shocks used by high-end RV manufacturers.

We had over 500 customers that ordered torsion axles from ground support equiptment to portable light towers - NONE used a shock. Several of these customers had more folks in the Engineering Department than Airstream has in manufacturing. Just two cents from a retired axle dude!

Regards,
Henry
Henry,

I've been told that shock absorbers do nothing but control spring oscillation on leaf and coil springs.

Do torsion axles need that same type of control?

Mark
Old 05-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #33
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesure
Hi, all.

We have a '92 Excella, 29 ft. Today, hubby decided to check out the spare tire for the first time.

Surprise! It's just that....a spare tire! Not mounted, so not much good in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention, the thing has to be original! It's a write off.

Question....

Is this standard practice by Airstream, to have just a tire instead of a usable spare or is this something the previous owner did?

Is the front mounted underbelly carrier for the spare deep enough to house a mounted and inflated spare?

Anyone know the wheel specs for this unit?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I would think that if A/S or a dealer installed a spare it would be with a rim. My guess is the PO did that.

On a side note I carry 2 spare tires with no rims in my van for the trailer. Should I have a flat (haven't in 4 years) I would take the flat tire and rim to a place to get it handled. A PITA and that is what I have for now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Little Britain , Ontario
Thanks for the reply, Action.

:-)
Old 06-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Uwe,

Or anyone else that knows,

Do the rims you bought have a protective clearcoat? I am looking into replacing the steel wheels on my 27' 1972 International and these look like the best match.

How about tires, what did you use?

Look here: www.trailertiresandwheels.net
I bought these for my 1963, and am very happy with them. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...product/AW1504
Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Well - what a deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
Henry,

I've been told that shock absorbers do nothing but control spring oscillation on leaf and coil springs.

Do torsion axles need that same type of control?

Mark
Mark,

I simply state that Airstream is the only trailer (that I am aware of, out of about 3600 customers we sold axles to) that use a shock on a torsion axle.

Does it hurt anything - NO!

Do torsion axles require it - NO!

Is it benificial to control spring oscillation - YES!

Some folks will have you believe that "I wouldn't drive my car without shocks - they are a requirement". To those folks I simply say - yeah, that's because they don't use too many torsion axles on cars! Additionally I would say does your trailer have disc brakes? I bet you wouldn't drive your car without those either.

Just some opinions of an axledude!

Regards,
Henry
Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Back to one of the original questions

Changing rims is an excellent idea. Check the forum's classifieds on a regular basis. There are actual airstream approved wheels for sale on a fairly regular basis. You can also place a want ad for a set of wheels. I sold a set of late model alloy wheels just this way last year.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
henry,
have any of those thousands of axles been installed in any travel trailer?Most travel trailers except airstream ,uses leaf spring setups and predominantly dexter parts. So that limits the application of the torsion to commercial trailers ,concrete pumps ,and other industrial uses where a shock is definately not needed .I will say that airstream knows what they are doing
and how to equip there coaches with the proper running gear .Why dismantle or eliminate something that seves a purpose.

Scott
Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
henry,
have any of those thousands of axles been installed in any travel trailer?Most travel trailers except airstream ,uses leaf spring setups and predominantly dexter parts. So that limits the application of the torsion to commercial trailers ,concrete pumps ,and other industrial uses where a shock is definately not needed .I will say that airstream knows what they are doing
and how to equip there coaches with the proper running gear .Why dismantle or eliminate something that seves a purpose.

Scott
Scott,

We had around 25 Travel Trailer customers at the time of my retirement - perhaps more now as Axis is pressing for that business. Almost all travel trailer manufacturers recognize the advantange of the torsion axle - though some offer it as an option only. Price is a factor for most of them as torsion axles are about twice the price of a spring axle.

If you read my post closely - I simply state that they are not required on a travel trailer - though it is a nice feature. Airstream is the Cadillac - and as such you would expect some extra's - like shocks. Though I have never told anyone to "dismantle or eliminate" anything (not sure where you got that) - I don't feel that they are a requirement on a torsion axle.

Perhaps you could tell me what other travel trailer uses them? Or commercial trailer or concrete pump trailer for that matter.

Sorry if I flamed you - I have a right to my opinion - same as you!

Best Regards,
Henry

PS: Before I worked in axles - I worked in the Jayco Engineering Department, for around 10 years. We put torsion axles on trailers from around 1980 forward. They were Dexters - and they were shockless!!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #40
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
. . . Airstream is the Cadillac - and as such you would expect some extra's - like shocks. . .
Durn tootin!

If I'm gonna pay more for the Cadillac of travel trailers, it better have lots of extra fittings. I don't care if they're functional, we're talkin' braggin' rights here.

I'd expect the salesman to give me a real lube job about it, too!

Know what I mean?
Old 06-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Know what I mean?
Dat's what I'm talkn' bout!

WELL SAID DON!

Regards,
Henry
Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello axleman,

you didn't flame me ,as I asked you a question so I expected an answer.
this is the first time i have read in any post of yours that some travel trailers used a torsion other than airstream .You also continually post about not bothering with shocks and they don't need them, so I disagree ,anyone that reads your opinion on this issue can clearly see that. You also went on about the 500 customers utility trailers and so on ,no shocks etc ,airstream doesn't know nothing ,your engineers have thousands of hours of experience so they are the experts, that sounds pretty adamant about your idea of no shocks.
you guys can do whatever you want ,Alot of other people here have years of experience also lets not forget ,they have knowledge also of what works .
I will stand by my experience and decision to not remove or leave off shocks when replacing an axle .I would like to see that torsion arm slamming up and down with no shock when the tire and wheel are out of balance ,which is problematic on the torsion axle airstream ,thats a fact.

Scott