Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #1

1964 19' Globetrotter
winnipeg , manitoba
replace rims and wheels

just bought 1965 overlander 26 ft. need to haul home- 1200 miles- want to replace original split rims and tires on trailer- what rims do I need and what type and make of tires.
also need to buy used truck to haul it. what is minimum engine size I need trailer weighted 4400 lbs loaded when checked at weigh scale

thanks
overlander65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander65
just bought 1965 overlander 26 ft. need to haul home- 1200 miles- want to replace original split rims and tires on trailer- what rims do I need and what type and make of tires.
also need to buy used truck to haul it. what is minimum engine size I need trailer weighted 4400 lbs loaded when checked at weigh scale

thanks

You will need wheels rated at a minimum of 2600 each.

You can use load range "C" tires, but for safety issues load range "D" would offer more protection.

Inflate the "D's" to about 50 psi and you will be fine.

At some early point, have the complete running gear balanced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

At some early point, have the complete running gear balanced.

Andy
What else is involved in addition to having the wheels balanced?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
rim options

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander65

thanks
First answers, then a question:

You can use Chevy wheels (there was just a thread on this). I think Toyota and Nissan also makes wheels that fit. Also aluminum rims. The important thing is the width of the rim is not too wide and the bolt patterns line up. You might also want to grease the bearings if this coach has been sitting a while.

I know people who have towed an Overlander with a 6 cylinder. I'm in NM and I just sold a 64 Overlander to a guy who towed it to Kansas with a minivan. I wouldn't recommend a 6 as a regular tow vehicle however, I think most people would recommend a big SUV or pick up with a v8 and tow package. You don't need a big block V8 though. You also might consider towing it with a rental truck.

My question:
What advantages do aluminum rims have other than purdy? I was watching TV yesterday and the statement was made 1# off the wheels is like 100# off the vehicle.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Tow rating of a vehicle is more than an engine. The correct engine and the wrong tranny will not work. The weight of the Overlander is likely 5000 #'s fully loaded. So you want to get tires that are up for that kind of load. The 300 CID six that Ford used to put out will have enough torque. However, if that engine was mated to a 3.00 rear axle ratio that won't do it. With a 3.73 rear axle and a automatic, that six would work. The total tow package has to be looked at or you will have not enough tow vehicle or way too much. Way too much is OK if you have the coin to spend. So the minimum engine size????Well that depends on the rest of the towing package. Difficult to answer the question with out the rest of the pieces. Also I would want a tow vehicle that had some weight. Cause a 390 in a Comet with a 4:10 axle and an auto tranny would tow the load. Just wouldn't want to go down a steep grade with that set up.

On the wheels, I would not use any non-RV wheels. Andy's website above shows some Nissan wheels that likely caused an accident. Just because truck wheels are EZ to get does not mean they are good for the job.

Aluminum wheels may offer some heat dissapation, however it is looks or preference that is the main attraction.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

New wheels

Dexstar makes a "OEM" trailer wheel that looks somewhat like was originally on your Airstream and there's a small dogdish hubcap available that fits also. You can get them at (I can in FL) at your NAPA store via Redneck Trailer Supply or order via internet from Lowcost Trailer Supply. A wheel is about $41 and a hubcap is $10. You want a

15" x 6"
2600#
0 offset
6 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern
3.65" center hole
wheel

See pix at
O.E.M. Single Wheel: Low Cost Trailer Supplies
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote