Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
People with other types of trailers tell me there is a replacement for the outside seal that has a grease fitting built into it. They say they simply use a grease gun on the bearings every few thousand miles or months (if sitting) and never repack bearings anymore. Will this system not work for Airstreams? Some of the folks I know that do it have boat trailers. jc

Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the wheel bearings serviced every 3rd season. Mostly cause I put less than 3-4k on the running gear every season. My trailer is now pushing 7 years old. Brakes, axles, bearings, all in great shape. Last repack I was told the bearings, spindles, brakes, etc all look to be in brand new condition. I also added centramatics a few years ago to help better balance the running gear. Not sure that it's any reason or major contribution as to why my running gear is in great shape, but I did notice less throw around inside the trailer during transit since having 'em installed.

I think running gear maint is important, but also, IMHO, you also need to take use into account. If you are not doing thousands of miles a year, I personally don't feel the added expense amounts to a lot of safety or preventative maint. I know other would disagree and some may argue that it sits more than it's moving, but I also have a 14 year old car I've had since new that sits all winter as well and has only 4800 miles on it and it's as new as it was the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Best you can do is take what everyone is saying and make the best decision you can for your specific needs...these work well for me, might not for you.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
People with other types of trailers tell me there is a replacement for the outside seal that has a grease fitting built into it. They say they simply use a grease gun on the bearings every few thousand miles or months (if sitting) and never repack bearings anymore. Will this system not work for Airstreams? Some of the folks I know that do it have boat trailers. jc
It works for boat trailers because they are pushing the water back out of the assembly. For travel trailers, or other trailers that have brakes, it is not such a good idea because the grease can leak past the inner seal onto the brake shoes.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
How Many New Trailers are equipped with Nev-R-Lube Bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
how often would be prudent to repack wheel bearings on a new trailer...

thanks
Our 2006 model year 30' classic is equipped with Nev-R-Lube bearings. The Dexter Axle site implies that these are sealed bearings, and that one does not repack them. How many "new" trailers are equipped with this design?

F. A. Meloy
05/21/2010
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Our 2006 model year 30' classic is equipped with Nev-R-Lube bearings. The Dexter Axle site implies that these are sealed bearings, and that one does not repack them. How many "new" trailers are equipped with this design?

F. A. Meloy
05/21/2010

IIRC, the Dexter Nev-R-Lubes also will also eventually need some service. The literature says it will never need a lube, but the axles are only covered by 5 year/100k mile warranty. It's been suggested that after that time some maint may be required. I can't see seals not wearing out leading to a clean and repack being needed at some point...granted at a far extended interval than non- nev-r-lube axles....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i much rather do brake work than transmission work but that might just be me.
Hi, it is recommended to down shift manually when going up or down hills. Transmissions with "Tow/Haul" modes do it automatically when the shifter [or button] is in the "Tow/Haul" position. It is also stated that you should use the same gear it took to get up the hill to go down the other side. [if for example it is a 6% grade up and 6% grade down]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Hi, if you keep pumping grease into the bearing area, it will eventually fill up and push past the axle seal and onto your brakes. [drum or disk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post

F. A. Meloy
05/21/2010
Hi, these are sealed bearings, so no seals or bearing repacking can be done on these, But this also allows people to go, maybe, too far before checking their brakes. Some late model cars use sealed wheel bearings and they work really well. They can, a do, still fail and will need to be replaced. Sealed bearing can become internally loose and allow the vehicle to slightly wander. They also start making noises and need to be replaced before they seize up.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Nev-R-Lube Wheel Bearing System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, it is recommended to down shift manually when going up or down hills. Transmissions with "Tow/Haul" modes do it automatically when the shifter [or button] is in the "Tow/Haul" position. It is also stated that you should use the same gear it took to get up the hill to go down the other side. [if for example it is a 6% grade up and 6% grade down]

Hi, if you keep pumping grease into the bearing area, it will eventually fill up and push past the axle seal and onto your brakes. [drum or disk]

Hi, these are sealed bearings, so no seals or bearing repacking can be done on these, But this also allows people to go, maybe, too far before checking their brakes. Some late model cars use sealed wheel bearings and they work really well. They can, a do, still fail and will need to be replaced. Sealed bearing can become internally loose and allow the vehicle to slightly wander. They also start making noises and need to be replaced before they seize up.
You are correct. This type of bearing must be replaced, not repacked. On automobiles, it is not unusual to go well over 100,00 miles with no wheel bearing problems.

I check the break pad condition annually, and check the wheel temperature daily while traveling.

Dexter Axel has an inspection procedure for the Nev-R-Lube wheel bearing system, which they will send you if you request it. It is in a pdf file format. If anyone wishes to send me a PM, then I will forward a copy of the Dexter file to them.

F. A. Meloy
05/22/2010