Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This and another thread on the same issues have been very informative. Andy's list some many posts back is very helpful. I haven't repacked bearings or adjusted drum brakes in decades, but I think I'm going to be doing it soon. The closest dealer charges $160/axle, and I'd rather save that money, and I don't trust them anyway.

If I understand it correctly, Airstream's seals are the best and always need to be replaced. I'll have to order some.

What is the best bearing grease for an '08 trailer?

I think when I read about balancing the running gear, what was meant was balancing the wheel. Is that correct? Seems like replacing the rubber valve stems that come on the wheel and rebalancing the wheels could be a good combination.

Gene

Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
This and another thread on the same issues have been very informative. Andy's list some many posts back is very helpful. I haven't repacked bearings or adjusted drum brakes in decades, but I think I'm going to be doing it soon. The closest dealer charges $160/axle, and I'd rather save that money, and I don't trust them anyway.

If I understand it correctly, Airstream's seals are the best and always need to be replaced. I'll have to order some.

What is the best bearing grease for an '08 trailer?

I think when I read about balancing the running gear, what was meant was balancing the wheel. Is that correct? Seems like replacing the rubber valve stems that come on the wheel and rebalancing the wheels could be a good combination.

Gene
Gene,

Running gear is the tire, wheel and hub and drum assembly.

Replacing the rubber valve stems with steel valve stems, costs a little more, but is a definite "plus."

Andy

Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #45
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You don't have to replace the seals but it's good insurance. Any good name brand all purpose grease or wheel bearing grease will be fine. Do not take a chance on cheap grease. It may seem OK but when it gets hot it can melt and run out. Good grease stays thick even when hot.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
I think when I read about balancing the running gear, what was meant was balancing the wheel. Is that correct?
Gene
What is meant is to balance the wheel and tire as it is mounted on the axle and drum. Once balanced, you never move the position on the lugs. Inland Andy, and a few, but not many, garages have the equipmment to do this.

When I had this done on our 2004 Classic, the frame and alignment shop here in PA that I had do it for me found that my drum (apparantly) was so far out of balance that it took almost a pound of weight to get it into balance. The shop also "trued" my tires at the same time (shaved off the high spots on my tires, as most are probably not perfectly round).

Can you imagine what it would have been like towing that monster had I not had my running gear balanced.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
The closest dealer charges $160/axle, and I'd rather save that money, and I don't trust them anyway.

Gene
You don't have to use an Airstream Dealer. Now, many of the Camping Worlds are certified Airstream repair service shops. Also, I don't trust my nearby Airstream dealer and have used my local utility trailer dealer for all my annual maintenance issues like repacking the bearings and inspecting and adjusting the brakes. They charge about $94/axle, IIRC. I'll find out in the next week or so.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
You don't have to use an Airstream Dealer. Now, many of the Camping Worlds are certified Airstream repair service shops. Also, I don't trust my nearby Airstream dealer and have used my local utility trailer dealer for all my annual maintenance issues like repacking the bearings and inspecting and adjusting the brakes. They charge about $94/axle, IIRC. I'll find out in the next week or so.
According to Airstream's latest "dealer, parts and service center list," not a single Camping World location is listed.

At least their not on our copy.

Andy
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Regreasing wheel bearings

Can vouch for Andy's comments. Here in Montana, the off season can last 6 months or more. Lots of time to forget various things to check unless you regularly do a spring checkup on seals, wheel bearings and breaks. Setting in a driveway or field for the winter causes all sorts of potential problems to surface in the spring. Up here the smart thing to do each spring is new seals, repack the wheel bearings and check brakes and springs. Regardless of previous summer milage !!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #50
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
According to Airstream's latest "dealer, parts and service center list," not a single Camping World location is listed.

At least their not on our copy.

Andy
This is a new development announced week before last at the Florida State Rally. There will be certain Camping Worlds that will become Airstream Dealers. I was not at the beginning of the rally when this was announced so I can't give all the details, but it appears that this is a move to compensate for so many Airstream dealers dropping Airstream from their offerings or going out of business. Also, it allowed for service without Airstream providing service and parts at the rally.

I had a couple of items diagnosed at the Rally. I had wanted to have them repaired, but Camping World in Tampa was so new as an Airstream repair shop that they didn't have the parts to fit. They even told me that some of work they did for me was a learning experience. (I had wanted the hitch jack post and motor replaced, but the one they had wouldn't work with the tank covers and Pole-eze bracket so they said that I should go to one of the Atlanta area CW's and have them order the same brand that was OEM.) They learned that the brand of post and motor they carried wouldn't work with the tank cover and flag bracket that is so popular at rallies. They also told me that they learned that because of lack of storage, no one seemed interested in the zero gravity (Lafuma styled) recliners and would bring the folding camp styled recliners next time.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #51
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbob View Post
Can vouch for Andy's comments. Here in Montana, the off season can last 6 months or more. Lots of time to forget various things to check unless you regularly do a spring checkup on seals, wheel bearings and breaks. Setting in a driveway or field for the winter causes all sorts of potential problems to surface in the spring. Up here the smart thing to do each spring is new seals, repack the wheel bearings and check brakes and springs. Regardless of previous summer milage !!
This is in the March 2009 issue of the Blue Beret, from Airstream.

Previously, a repack was suggested every year or 10,000 miles.

Now, Airstream is suggesting every 6 months or 10,000 miles.

But we feel they should have also suggested checking the shocks and axles too.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inspect.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	76346  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #52
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
This is in the March issue of the Blue Beret, from Airstream.

Andy
Have been doing this each spring since we bought our Airstream. However, Airstream recommends every 10,000 miles or every 6 months. I don't put 10K miles in a year, nor do I re-pack every 6 months. I do use our Airstream on average once per month through out the year and probably put 7-9K miles on it each year. I also keep a close check on the hub temp and tire temp using an infrared thermometer about every 2-1/2 to 3 hours of towing.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #53
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Have been doing this each spring since we bought our Airstream. However, Airstream recommends every 10,000 miles or every 6 months. I don't put 10K miles in a year, nor do I re-pack every 6 months. I do use our Airstream on average once per month through out the year and probably put 7-9K miles on it each year. I also keep a close check on the hub temp and tire temp using an infrared thermometer about every 2-1/2 to 3 hours of towing.
That's a great way to be as safe as you can be when towing.

Keep up the good work.

Andy
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Question Grease seal cross reference

Did anyone ever come up with the Federal grease seal cross reference to
the Airstream number grease seal 680370-100?

I have read every thread and never found where anyone actually posted a direct cross reference to that number. I will order from Airstream tomorrow if no one knows.

Thanks
Pappy
Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Did anyone ever come up with the Federal grease seal cross reference to
the Airstream number grease seal 680370-100?

I have read every thread and never found where anyone actually posted a direct cross reference to that number. I will order from Airstream tomorrow if no one knows.

Thanks
Pappy
Some dealers carry that seal.

The factory may not be able to sell you that part, because of dealer contracts.

I would be happy to give you the manufacturers number, but I will not be back in the office until March 23rd.

Andy
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I called one dealer in Colorado and they do not carry the Airstream seals. They use aftermarket. I called Inland RV and ordered them. I didn't want to screw around with this any longer and had no idea how to find them otherwise or who makes them or a number. The factory doesn't have them on their website. Inland will ask you if you want the good, better or best seals (just like Sears used to) and I ordered the best. I think you'll have to order from a dealer and why not from Andy? Waiting for the postman (actually mail carrier).

Gene